9800 Pro AIW

Fix Me

Gawd
So, I go to my backup PC after work today and there's no video. The monitor is getting a signal, but that's it. So, I reboot to see what happens. I can see BIOS screens and Windows XP start to load, but I never get to the login screen, the monitor just goes black. When I open the case, I see that the fan on the AGP 9800 Pro AIW is dead. :(

So, what are my options? I use the AIW card to capture video from an old camcorder I have, so I do need it. I tried looking for a replacement fan, but it appears they are discontinued. Is that even an option or is my card fried? I also saw some PAL AIW cards for $40 on ebay, but I wasn't sure if they would be compatible since I'm in the US (NTSC). I'm not using it for a cable tuner or anything, so maybe it doesn't matter.

Any suggestions are appreciated! Remember, this is my backup PC, so I'm hoping not to spend much money on it.

Just grab a Zalman VF700 for around $20, that will get it running nicely again without breaking the bank.

It's very easy to install too, dunno about your experience with aftermarket VGA cooling but even if it's your first attempt you should have no trouble. Hope this helps :)

Thanks! I have installed aftermarket VGA cooling solutions before, so I shouldn't have any trouble. :)

I would not waste $20 on that old of hardware. Just grab any spare case fan, run it at 7V pointed at the card, and be done with it.

I have an old 9500 NP fan some where around here I wonder if that work. Plus abit sent me a fan (maybe for 9800) before they went out of business, need to look for it though

Second that on spare fan. Who knows the card may be toast save your money and installation time

I ended up just running over to CompUSA and bought a replacement fan for $10. It's a Vantec Iceberq: http://www.vantecusa.com/en/product/view_detail/93. The ATI fan had a larger heatsink than what I bought. You can see the original fan here:
1068474636.jpg

The heatsink on the Vantec is only as big as the fan. I now get video when I boot into windows, but I can't bring up the ATI video capturing software, it just hangs or I lose video. And when I go to youtube to play anything, I get white dotted lines in the video.

Is the card toast or do I just need a larger fan/heatsink like the VF700? Compusa had a Vantec fan that was similar to the VF700 and cheaper(though there may be a reason for that, lol). I figured I'd give the cheap one a shot first though. I may just end up doing video capture through S-video on my main PC, so if anyone has any suggestions, please share. :)

Check your temps with a ATITool. If they're low and you're still artifacting/freezing/crashing then the card is toast.

I actually still have that original heat sink fan that i pulled off an AIW 9800 pro sitting in a box. I'll check when i get home, in case you might want it.

Back