9800 Pro PCI-E equivalent ?

FragMagnet

[H]ard|Gawd
The GF's comp is hosed, and it's too hard to find a decent P478 mobo in Canada, so I'm putting together a new one. Not sure which of ATI's card offers roughly the same power as her previous card. Thanks in advance !

x700pro (if you can find one)
Closest easy to find one is an x800 series.

If you are looking for a current gen card, I would go with a 4650 or 4670.

Thanks, yes I'm looking for something easy to find in retail. I seen a 4350 at a good price, but not sure how that compares 3d wise to the 9800. She rarely uses 3d anyway, but I wouldn't want to put in less of a card

4350 will be fine then, it'll only suffice for games 10 years old and browsing the net

A 3650 would be a moderate upgrade to the 9800 Pro. Since you're building a whole new computer anyway, the 4830 is probably the highest bang for the buck at the moment, though a slightly cheaper 4670 would do.

A 3650 would be a moderate upgrade to the 9800 Pro. Since you're building a whole new computer anyway, the 4830 is probably the highest bang for the buck at the moment, though a slightly cheaper 4670 would do.

Agreed, those cards should offer the biggest bang for the buck. And you should be able to find them locally for a decent price, albeit they'll both be cheaper online if you're willing to wait.

thanks for the info guys ! Comparing local pricing it seems the 4670 is the best bet.

3850=$120
4670=$100
4830=$180

these are rough pricing, as the retailer will match newegg.ca on the exact same model.

I also found a new ASRock P478 mobo new localy for $90, I'm just not sure on the quality ? This all started as the NB h/s fell off, hosing the OS hd. Fixed the h/s, grabbed a new hd, and a legit copy of XP, reinstalled everything , loaded OS, put in her 2nd hd, and buttoned it up. Hit the power button, instant "pop", no stink, and nothing ! PSU was full of cat hair ! So get a new case with filters, corsair psu, reassemble, it seems to start but no hd activity or vid signal.

This system was going to go to her 8 yr son near Xmas, with her getting a quad core C2D for vid/pic editing, but ........

Grab an x1950 Pro. Excellent card, and it's what I upgraded to from my 9800 Pro 255MB.

x700pro (if you can find one)
Closest easy to find one is an x800 series.

If you are looking for a current gen card, I would go with a 4650 or 4670.

Actually, I would recommend instead the HD4670 or HD4830, especially if you can find one that doesn't need the PSU plug-in (either 6-pin or Molex), and in 512MB DDR3 (not 1 GB). (The HD4830 is preferred.)

Back