9800 XT won't work with Shuttle SK83G

Perry

n00b
:( Just put a Radeon 9800 XT in my Shuttle SK83G and there is no display upon boot up. Prior to installing the new video card, I updated my bios, updated the VIA MB chipset drivers (including AGP) and removed all software for the old video card. The Shuttle will still work fine with the old NVidia card, but only shows a blank display with the 9800XT.

The MB for this shuttle is the FX83. I have noticed the the Bios setup does not exactly match the manual.

I have read several posts about other users using this combination so I know the 9800 XT is compatible with this model of Shuttle. I'm stumped.

Any suggestions about what to do would be appreciated.

Do you have the video card on a power cable all by itself?

Do you have another PC so you can check that the video card does indeed work?

Thanks for responding to my post.

Yes, the 9800XT is on a separate power cable all by itself. The fan runs on the card. The MB does not have an LED on the AGP slot. However, since it works with the old NiVidia card, I know the slot seems to be working.

No, I don't have another computer at home I can try it in. I'll take it in to work and see if it works in a Shuttle SK41. (However, I don't think the SK41 has an AGP slot that is 8X capable).

Do you know if the 9800 XT is backwards compatible to a 4X AGP? Can I use the SK41 as a test platform for this card?

Current setup:
Shuttle SK83G
OS WinXP SP2
MB is Shuttle FX83
AMD 64 bit Processor
1 GB RAM
(2) 60GB SATA HD's configured in RAID 0
NVidia GeForce MX Video 64MB trying to upgrade to Radeon 9800 XT
BIOS updated to fx83s041
4in1 Via drivers updated to VIA HyperionPro Driver ver. 5.10a

yes its is compatiable. the fan spins in the card becase the cable is pluged in. i have a pci-e x800xt that has the same problem. i know my card is dead, it has nothing to do with the mobo.

hate to say it but the 9800xt sounds likes its dead. good thing there only about $40 or so for another one.

Thanks to both of you for your help. Your input was greatly appreciated. I sent the 9800 XT back for exchange.

Back