9950X and 9950X3D is going to be terrific.

sblantipodi

2[H]4U
As title.
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/9749...faster-in-cinebench-r24-than-7950x/index.html

en-5-chip-is-46-faster-in-cinebench-r24-than-7950x.png

Last edited:
That's amazing if these numbers are true. It'd definitely push me over the edge to do an upgrade. It certainly doesn't hurt that I already have someone I can sell my existing platform to, as well.

9800X3D or bust...but I'll see if the 9950X3D setup is less prone to errors with vcache core assignment.

R24 ST:

3950x: 72 (2019)
5950x: 95 +32% (2020)
7950x: 125 +32% (2022)
9950x: 170 +36% (2024)

18-19% a year increase average (double every 4 years rate...), would be quite impressive

Where are these numbers even coming from? They seem largely made-up. I could have made those charts. :rolleyes:

Most of the work on zen5 was to go full AVX512. The execution units in zen4 are 256 mostly, requiring 512 uop 2 cycles ie - effectively a double pumped 256.. Widening more execution units to 512 cut that to one cycle as a pure 512 implementation. ALUs are also increased from 4 to 6. AGUs are going from 3 to 4.

Last edited:
Most of the work on zen5 was to go full AVX512.
Maybe but isn't AVX512 virtually unused in something like Cinebench 2024 ? And a long list (most?) of things, would the gains are from there they would not be seen that much.

Be great if these newer chips did not run as hot.
Also interested in if there are better mobos being released.

My system runs everything fine still on my 5930k / Asus Rampage. I find it wild that my rampage V Extreme has more SATA slots than newer ones and to get what I have now I would need to pay 1k and the upgrade for 4k gaming is minimal at best.

Getting 120fps even in cyberpunk with Ray Tracing.

Happy with my 5900x so far- saves a few bucks and has worked very well with my needs - if I upgrade, I'll probably stick to the 9xxx chipset going forward. That 9900x should be a sweet bump up.

Skipped 7000 series as I didn't want to pay the exorbitant cost for a AM5 mobo and DDR5 pricing. I'm a 5950x that's still doing everything for me in my 3D workflow. Glad I waited, will definitely be going for a 7950 or X3D variant of it upon release. Ram prices have also come down which is nice, 64gb ddr5 modules at the doorstep of release....looks like a 7950X/X3D, plus 256gb of ram is in my purchase sight ^_^.

Skipped 7000 series as I didn't want to pay the exorbitant cost for a AM5 mobo and DDR5 pricing. I'm a 5950x that's still doing everything for me in my 3D workflow. Glad I waited, will definitely be going for a 7950 or X3D variant of it upon release. Ram prices have also come down which is nice, 64gb ddr5 modules at the doorstep of release....looks like a 7950X/X3D, plus 256gb of ram is in my purchase sight ^_^.

Yep - I waited until prices came down on boards and ram and then jumped in - bonus was they dropped prices of the x3d chips as well. I was surprised at the jump I got from my previous 5800x3d setup tbh. Will wait and see on the next gen, but if we're talking 20% I'll probably have to go for it when they release the x3d versions.

Yep - I waited until prices came down on boards and ram and then jumped in - bonus was they dropped prices of the x3d chips as well. I was surprised at the jump I got from my previous 5800x3d setup tbh. Will wait and see on the next gen, but if we're talking 20% I'll probably have to go for it when they release the x3d versions.
What's your typical temps with that CPU? Are they pretty stable?

I made money selling my AM4 gear for new, better AM5 stuff. So many people missed the boat.

Nice. I want one, although I'm not sure what for exactly...

I have a 5950x and a 3090 and the toughest thing I play is heavily modded minecraft.
You have a lot of compute for minecraft. If you wanted to do anything with scientific computing the AVX512 intrinsics would be a nice stepup over the 5950x AVX2. Note: I am running the same rig basically, and mine does everything I want. I honestly don't see the need for more compute, and if I did I would probably take my code as far as possible on my rig and then rent some cloud compute.

Wait, wut? 256 gb of ram is an option on AM5????

You have a lot of compute for minecraft. If you wanted to do anything with scientific computing the AVX512 intrinsics would be a nice stepup over the 5950x AVX2. Note: I am running the same rig basically, and mine does everything I want. I honestly don't see the need for more compute, and if I did I would probably take my code as far as possible on my rig and then rent some cloud compute.
So you're like me...want one but don't really have a purpose.

Heck, that is why I have a 5950x. A 5800x would be just find....I can only spend money so fast on Amazon.

What's your typical temps with that CPU? Are they pretty stable?

Pretty cool tbh - gaming loads are only in the 50's and 60's, all core only jumps to mid 70's. It may have seen 80C once or twice when I was doing photogrammetry, that's the only situation I've pegged both cpu and gpu at 100% utilization and the only time it runs sustained 100% load on the cpu. It did cut time to render down quite a lot, more than I expected. I did not realized how core limited I was in that scenario, but that's pretty much the only situation I need all 16 cores. Even local GenAI models don't use anywhere near that much sustained cpu load.

Pretty cool tbh - gaming loads are only in the 50's and 60's, all core only jumps to mid 70's. It may have seen 80C once or twice when I was doing photogrammetry, that's the only situation I've pegged both cpu and gpu at 100% utilization and the only time it runs sustained 100% load on the cpu. It did cut time to render down quite a lot, more than I expected. I did not realized how core limited I was in that scenario, but that's pretty much the only situation I need all 16 cores. Even local GenAI models don't use anywhere near that much sustained cpu load.

I dare you to try Cities Skylines 2 sooner or later.

To bad there is no demo.

I'm pretty sure the Ryzen 9000 will be my next upgrade. Gaming is the only stressful thing I do on my home PC and doubting there'll be an 8 core X3D part at launch. I bought more cores than I needed last upgrade cycle and haven't regretted it though.
Next upgrade will probably be an everything upgrade. CPU, MB, RAM, SSD, GPU, and big 4k monitor. Gonna be a spendy.

Nice. I want one, although I'm not sure what for exactly...

I have a 5950x and a 3090 and the toughest thing I play is heavily modded minecraft.
My 5950x is holding strong, but the amount of VM's and stuff and other crap I run these days, something new may be in my future, but I was then also considering a used threadripper or something...guess we shall see!

I don't have any huge cities, so I just tried this 100k one: https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkyl...benchmark_your_pc_using_this_100k_population/

Are there other benchmarks I should try with the population in the millions?

Yes but not sure if you trust the link. Either way is ok. If you try it great. If not no big deal.

You run the xbox game pass version right?

Does it support mods ?

If so I can list many saved cities for you to try or at least 1 that has well over 400,000 to 500,000 + too

Back