A+ certification, websites, resources?

cheezies

[H]ard|Gawd
Okay, for those of you that are sitting on top of your water cooled and/or phase change cooled towers reading this post and thinking "A+ is for n00bs", it probably is, but some work places require applicants to have it ... therefore... I would like to ask ..

Does anyone have any good links A+ exam materials or readings? :)

look up mike meyers.

not kidding. this is actually a diff. meyers, he is quite good. his textbook (5+ in.) is what taught me.

starhawk said:
look up mike meyers.

not kidding. this is actually a diff. meyers, he is quite good. his textbook (5+ in.) is what taught me.

thanks, when you read the book were you already quite experienced with computers? I take it that we are all quite experienced and I'm looking for a book for the experienced computer geek.

If you know computers before you started learning A+, it helps out abit. I learned alot of things I didn't know about computers from taking A+.
A+ is separated into two courses: A+ Core Hardware and A+ Operating Systems.

Here is a website to check to learn more about A+
www.comptia.org

I second the suggestion of the Mike Meyers book. That thing is THICK but it has alot of very good information. I read it after I was already fairly confident that I could pass the A+ and I still learned alot.

I did the A+ and in general it was easy. It was in the fall of 2002. The hardware one was pretty lame, as it required me to memorize all the IRQs, I/O addresses, how many pins were on what processor, etc. Basically a lot of useless crap nowdays. So memorize all you can.

And do as many practice tests as you possibly can!!
Just styding the books themselves is a worthless waste of time without practice tests IMO. The books ramble on, and on about how things work, and all you really need to know is x CPU has y pins etc. Plus it's a lot less scary taking the test when you have a feel for the layout of the questions.

S1nf1xx's 3 steps to passing exams on the first try:
1.) Get good book
2.) Do practice tests until you couldn't possibly give a fuck about anything computer related anymore.
3.) Pass test.

S1nF1xx has a good point about practice exams. The Meyers books has 3 full exams in the back of it, with answers (unless it's changed recently).

cheezies said:
thanks, when you read the book were you already quite experienced with computers? I take it that we are all quite experienced and I'm looking for a book for the experienced computer geek.

i had self taught myself quite a bit, but it was nothing compared to what i learned, i.e. that you actually cannot put an intel proc on a board designed for amd proc's.

I reccomend the Mike Myers book. Granted it's insanely thick (thousand-some pages), a few questions in the practice exams it comes with are also on the A+ exam.

Thanks for all the info guys (and gals if any), has anyone tried the book A+ Exam Cram, Personal Trainer? I'm thinking of getting this with Mike Meyer's book as well.

i hate cram books. they usually suck and they are rather dry and boring.

besides, studies have proven (tho i can't find them) that you only remember about something like 25% of what you cram the night before.

S1nF1xx said:
2.) Do practice tests until you couldn't possibly give a fuck about anything computer related anymore.

lol... all good info. i have to get off my ass and do this once and for all. :)

I'm actually considering an A+ certification.

Can anyone tell me what the benefit would be to me if I may not need it for a job? Is it a good thing for me to do just for the hell of it?

Just for some background, I just turned 17, am getting heavily into programming (learning C++ right now), and I'm really into technology of any kind. I'm planning on getting an Associates in Computer Programming before getting a B.S. in Game Design & Development. Nerd all the way. Would the process of getting A+ certified be beneficial to me? I'm definetly willing to at least try learning the stuff if you think the subject matter is useful. I realize at 17 I definetly don't need it at the moment, but hell, I don't need to learn C++ either.

DudeItsMe said:
I'm actually considering an A+ certification.

Can anyone tell me what the benefit would be to me if I may not need it for a job? Is it a good thing for me to do just for the hell of it?

Just for some background, I just turned 17, am getting heavily into programming (learning C++ right now), and I'm really into technology of any kind. I'm planning on getting an Associates in Computer Programming before getting a B.S. in Game Design & Development. Nerd all the way. Would the process of getting A+ certified be beneficial to me? I'm definetly willing to at least try learning the stuff if you think the subject matter is useful. I realize at 17 I definetly don't need it at the moment, but hell, I don't need to learn C++ either.

I would say it's quite useful, I'm getting a B.S in computer systems technology (programming like you) along with MCSE, A+, CISCO and the all the rest. Your parents are probably helping you out right now and you have lots of time, get as much as you can.

Back