A+ Certification

kevinzak

Limp Gawd
Not exactly sure if this is the correct forum, as mostly I have read troubleshooting and build help threads, so if it's wrong I'd appreciate a correction so I can ask a mod to move it.

I am planning on taking my first A+ Certification exam this year. A course was offered at my community college at the beginning of this year's school semester, but it was $200 and every certified person I have talked to so far as agreed that most prep courses are a waste of time and money.

I have a book I have been reading fairly diligently (this one), and the vast majority of its content are things I already knew. Basically I'm wondering if anyone who has taken the exam recently has any recommendations on books or software or anything else that would help a first-timer pass.

Oh, and what is the best way to get a discount on the voucher for the exam? I could afford to buy one, but the aforementioned book mentioned that there were several different ways to get it cheaper and that no one should pay full price.

Any advice is appreciated. I understand that when applying to specialized fields, there are more apt tests available for those areas. Right now I'm not even looking for a job, however, and passing is more of just a personal accomplishment for me. When I do decide to enter the workforce, I would at least like to have the A+ under my belt. Hence this thread.

Thanks in advance.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I hate to say this (there goes my street cred), but A+ for Dummies works just fine. A lot of those books just give you too much information to remember.

Only used the past papers for self study and passed the exam.
A course does not have to be waste of time though.
Depends on what is the knowledge difference between you and the tutor.
200 bucks might be worth it. EDIT: Besides A+, as far as i remember wasnt the most logical exam in the world - so the fact you know the right answer in the real life does not mean you will get it right on the test because some questions might be tricky / stupid. So someone with better understanding of this exam might warn you about typical traps etc, I imagine..

I hate to say this (there goes my street cred), but A+ for Dummies works just fine. A lot of those books just give you too much information to remember.

That is good advice.

To be fair, the A+ certification exam isn't hard. From what I hear the test is MUCH easier than the one I took back in 1997 when I got mine.

Only used the past papers for self study and passed the exam.
A course does not have to be waste of time though.
Depends on what is the knowledge difference between you and the tutor.
200 bucks might be worth it. EDIT: Besides A+, as far as i remember wasnt the most logical exam in the world - so the fact you know the right answer in the real life does not mean you will get it right on the test because some questions might be tricky / stupid. So someone with better understanding of this exam might warn you about typical traps etc, I imagine..

The guy who would have taught it runs the computer department at the local public high school. If he knew more than me, it wouldn't be by very much. I do know the last time he took the test was 1998, and according to wikipedia the test has changed since then.

Thanks all. I appreciate the advice and any more you have to offer.

The book you have is fine. Mike has been writing A+ books for years. I would recommend skipping the class if you already know most of whats in the book. I would also recommend spending a little extra cash on self test questions. The A+ test questions are purposely worded funny because the content isn't that hard to learn and the self test questions will help you with this.

Looks like you have a pretty good start. I used the 5th edition of that book when I took it a few years ago. If you are fairly familiar with hardware the hardware questions will be easy for you. The questions on troubleshooting and software stuff can be worded tricky. Just take you time and read the questions carefully. Think about each answer a little before you disregard it.

If you spend a little time on google you can usually find some sample test questions as well. Take the time to run through lots of sample test questions before you sit for the exam. Good Luck. :)

Looks like you have a pretty good start. I used the 5th edition of that book when I took it a few years ago. If you are fairly familiar with hardware the hardware questions will be easy for you. The questions on troubleshooting and software stuff can be worded tricky. Just take you time and read the questions carefully. Think about each answer a little before you disregard it.

If you spend a little time on google you can usually find some sample test questions as well. Take the time to run through lots of sample test questions before you sit for the exam. Good Luck. :)

Appreciated! I will hit Google after my fever breaks. I find that studying with a temperature of 101 has sort of a reverse effect. :p

If I remember right the book you have - at least mine did from Mike years ago - only had some questions included and gave you a internet link where you could purchase more. I would start here to find more test questions.

When I took my A+ and MSCE tests I always used braindump websites. Although its been about 10 years since I took my A+ and I believe the test is a little easier today. It was a breeze back then you shouldnt have anything to worry about. Is there even DOS stuff on the test now? lol probably not.

Just google search braindump practice tests...youll get tons of sites for A+ practice tests as well as every other cert out there. So if your going to continue in that direction those sites will come in very handy.

Good luck!

Back