A-Data 64gb SSD w/sandforce - $94.99 shipped

cbags101

Gawd
UPDATE: Price is now 113.56 + Free shipping.

Amazon has the A-Data 64gb with sandforce controller for under $95. I have the Microcenter one that is supposed to be a rebranded A-Data, and I will say that it is a pretty good deal.

$94.99 with free shipping. Link

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Might have to jump on this.

I like mine. I will admit that the 64gb can be a little small sometimes. If you're using it in a desktop and can have a few larger HDD's for media, you won't be disappointed though.

This is a GREAT deal. I can only think of HotDeals from the perspective of someone paying 10% tax(I live in CA), and when there's no tax it's just so much sweeter. For those living in CA, MC's SSD would cost $110 minimum, then add the cost of gas and your time, or the cost of shipping. This destroys that last deal.

Congrats to anyone who gets in on this. :)

This is a GREAT deal. I can only think of HotDeals from the perspective of someone paying 10% tax(I live in CA), and when there's no tax it's just so much sweeter. For those living in CA, MC's SSD would cost $110 minimum, then add the cost of gas and your time, or the cost of shipping. This destroys that last deal.

Congrats to anyone who gets in on this. :)

I bought mine at Denver's MC and tax was 8%. So yeah, $108ish plus an hour drive from Boulder kinda killed it.

I just got the 128G version for my netbook... this is a good deal on a nice fast ssd.

Just got the 64gb version as a boot drive. Cannot beat the price for any other sandforce drive, very impressed.

On top of it, free two day shipping with amazon.com :D

Thanks man, I've finally figured out with my new computer my Windows partition is only 30GB so I can put a few games on it and still come to less than the 55~ usable GB one of these drives has. In for 1.

Decent price. Negative to this particular SSD is that A-DATA has been slow to provide firmware updates on their WEB site.

I almost bought one of these a few months back but got a similar priced deal on a OCZ Vertex 2 with MIR. OCZ does provide good customer support and have a history of having the latest firmware updates.

I'd go with a brand that gives better support than A-DATA.

Last edited:
They do have a firmware update tool on their website. I dont know if the file is included or they will be providing update files in the future.

They do have a firmware update tool on their website. I dont know if the file is included or they will be providing update files in the future.

Thanks. I just checked their WEB site for the SSD on sale at Amazon and A-data just added a firmware update for it on 1-4-2011.

Good price.

Still would be hesitant to buy till I did some research on the firmware updates performance.

I'm glad to see there's now a firmware update for this SSD, because it's been a LOT of trouble for me. It would just shut down while Windows was idling, even with power saving features set to never shut down HDs, and would not turn back on until I powered down the PC. I'd wake up and come back to my PC to be greeted with a blue screen. Even as a non-Windows drive for apps, it still does this. I RMA'd the drive to Newegg, and the replacement did the exact same thing. Then the RMA time with Newegg was up, and ADATA has been no help yet.

I'd give some kind of mild recommendation in the hopes that this firmware fixes it, but really - why bother with this bullshit if there are other good SSDs without these issues for a few bucks more?

Oh, if this S599 64GB is like mine (both the current and the RMA'd one), it's also actually a 60GB drive, not 64GB. (Yes, it's 60GB *unformatted*, not formatted. It's easy to see the difference with the right software.)

Even for a 60gb drive; price is not bad. However the drive issues make me leary. Almost think its worth a few$ more to get a different drive.
Hope that you guys do not run into problems; GL

Didn't people have reliability problems with this particular Sandforce?

The problem with Sandforce is they dont use TRIM as effectively, so they degrade faster then the Intel Gen2s or Indilix drives. I had a SF-1222 and in three weeks while using TRIM, had degraded to 180Mb/s reads. I only ran a set of benches when I got the drive, did a secure erase, installed Windows and did all the tweaks neaded, then after a couple weeks things seemed different so I ran the benches again to test. Sold it after that and went back to RAID0 HDDs.

Waiting for Intel Gen3.

Oh, if this S599 64GB is like mine (both the current and the RMA'd one), it's also actually a 60GB drive, not 64GB. (Yes, it's 60GB *unformatted*, not formatted. It's easy to see the difference with the right software.)

Mine's the same way. 60gb instead of 64gb. Made me wonder, but not too much. I will however say that I haven't had any problems at all with it in my MacBook. No shut downs or anything like that.

Well, I guess I should update it as soon as I get it then?
Yeah. I updated mine, but I have no idea if it stopped the shutdown issue since it's only happened a couple times in the last week. It'd take me at least a week of no shutdowns to start thinking that the problem is gone

Price is up to $114 now. Close to $2/GB. Not a bad price but wouldn't call it a deal.

Yeah. I updated mine, but I have no idea if it stopped the shutdown issue since it's only happened a couple times in the last week. It'd take me at least a week of no shutdowns to start thinking that the problem is gone

From using a Vertex 2 I discovered that the Intel Chipset drivers and BIOS settings being used play a larger role in performance and stability. PM if you have questions.

Mine's the same way. 60gb instead of 64gb. Made me wonder, but not too much. I will however say that I haven't had any problems at all with it in my MacBook. No shut downs or anything like that.

Yeah, my 128G is a 120G really.. they are trying to make it seem larger but it's just like all of the other new sand force drives, it's sectioned in 60G usable increments. They used to be in 50G increments but the new firmware is able to free up some some more usable space I guess..

Yeah, my 128G is a 120G really.. they are trying to make it seem larger but it's just like all of the other new sand force drives, it's sectioned in 60G usable increments. They used to be in 50G increments but the new firmware is able to free up some some more usable space I guess..

yeah, i feel like they are misrepresenting the products when they do that...

Back