A Dell Question...

Sz1hart

Limp Gawd
Hi there,

I'm about/getting ready to order a dell xps 600. The reason why I want the xps was because of the dual 7800GTX's for a fairly cheap price, when the pc comes I want to take one of the GTX out and put it in another rig. I call dell up and ask them if I could remove a part from the system and they told me if I do then they won't honor the warranty. What gets me is that how would they find out(unless I ship it back)? Would dell make me ship the system to get it repair or just ship the part so I can do it?

The only thing I fever would be if one of the parts in the system fails then I have to replace it. So all I really want to know is how dell would find out...

Also, before you go telling me not to get a dell and build my own rig. I would build my own, but you can't beat the 35% plus I get another 16%(still have to find if its stackable) off...

Thanks

Sz1hart said:
Hi there,

I'm about/getting ready to order a dell xps 600. The reason why I want the xps was because of the dual 7800GTX's for a fairly cheap price, when the pc comes I want to take one of the GTX out and put it in another rig. I call dell up and ask them if I could remove a part from the system and they told me if I do then they won't honor the warranty. What gets me is that how would they find out(unless I ship it back)? Would dell make me ship the system to get it repair or just ship the part so I can do it?

The only thing I fever would be if one of the parts in the system fails then I have to replace it. So all I really want to know is how dell would find out...

Also, before you go telling me not to get a dell and build my own rig. I would build my own, but you can't beat the 35% plus I get another 16%(still have to find if its stackable) off...

Thanks

well there is no Dell knows what you do with your parts. So yes you can remove the 7800gtx from the system and put it another system. And you dont need to ship the whole system back unless its a motherboard failure. First dell sends a representative and he starts to inspect the system and make sure every part is there. So yea if get system problems and dells wants to send a technician then you need to make sure every part you ordered is in the dell case including the 7800gtx.

swatX said:
And you dont need to ship the whole system back unless its a motherboard failure.
Dell doesn't have mail-in service for desktops, it's all on-site. Only the standard laptop warranty is send in -- and dell sends airborne to pick it up in that case.

so someone well likely come over to my place and take a look at it?

What I don't get is that there isn't any dell store/things around where I live and the closest would have to be in seattle(which is about 400miles away). Sorry for the question but wouldn't it be cheaper to just send the part?

Whatever happen as long as I can still have the warranty for at least 1 year :)

Thanks for clearing it up

Sz1hart said:
Sorry for the question but wouldn't it be cheaper to just send the part?
Yep, they'll either send a part with a pre-paid return label or a tech to replace the part.

Back