A Farewell from [H] Consumer

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I have no desire to buy a pre-built system, I read most of the reviews you guys did. They were informative, funny and got down to the main points about buying a pre-built system.

I always looked forward to the evaluation of the tech support experience. Partially it was for the humor and partially it was to see if these companies actually could give any type of customer service. I deal with customers in my job (government) and the experiences you encountered would have gotten me fired more than once if I had pulled some of the crap that was pulled on you. It was also nice to know that despite my dwindling computer build/repair jobs, that I still haven't lost my edge in comparison. Either in dealing with problems or how I handle customers.

What really pisses me off about this is that [H] Consumer wasn't defeated by it's review model or that anything was actually done wrong. It was defeated by the crap websites out there that don't know how the hell to do a review. Yes, I'm talking about the ones that have been doing this for years and have made a nice living doing it.

I understand the way advertising works and I can understand how companies can see that paying you advertising dollars and not knowing how you will (possibly) rape their system and their tech support infrastructure would be a bad use of advertising money.

To me, this is nothing more than the result of companies not having any faith in their products and services. Many of them know their products and services are crap and don't want it pointed out. I would have loved to hear the internal discussions of these companies when they first read a review you had done on their systems. It would have been pure gold.

I believe the companies that basically refused to advertise with you are doing themselves a disservice. They simply should have found a way to raise the quality of their products and services without having to raise their prices too much. I know this is difficult, but the vast majority of the systems you reviewed were pricey boxes. They weren't the dirt cheap crap you basically get free after rebate. These were systems that should be guaranteed no problems no matter what. Considering the depth of the reviews, your final words on a system should have been worth more than ten other site reviews of a system. To get a good rating from [H] Consumer meant you had to be doing just about everything right.

It's sad to see you go. I happened to read a system review on another site a while back (I had already exhausted everything from the [H]) and noticed they had put a tech support section in. Their review of the tech support was far from glowing. While other sites are picking up on the model you created, they just can't compete with the thoroughness you put into it. Besides, most of them wouldn't know how to put humor into their writing to keep someone interested if it bit them in the ass then then wrote the article itself.

[H] Consumer had a style and model which will be sorely missed. I'm not blaming you for shutting it down but the advertisers not putting any money into it have done everyone a disservice.

I'm glad to hear that you are looking into doing a private consulting/reviewing type business. I was thinking you could do it as I was reading through the post even before I got to the part where it was mentioned that it might be a possibility.

I never bought any OEM system but i loved reading your evaluations, your stories always covered what most sites missed, the time and effort you gave into bringing those reviews was amazing. and i salute you for that. best of luck for your future endeavors, and thank you for everything you did for your readers. [H] Consumer will be solely missed.........

:(

Bummer:( Some really good articles from you guys. I'll miss reading them.

Best of Luck

Damn! This is probably what the continental US will feel like when California breaks off.

Thank you for working so hard to maintain our pride in being associated with your great services to the technology world.

I always enjoyed reading [H] Consumer, it's a shame to see it go. :-/

Thanks for the good reads!

sorry to see this happen. best of luck guys! hopefully we will see ya guys back

This is sad to see as I think that [H] does the best reviews in the business. Thanks for the great writing from the consumer and console teams over the last 2 years.

I say we send emails and messages to every single oem manufacterer who got any kind of service from [H] consumer and tell them how much of a dissapointment that this service has to leave us and how they could have helped.

Good bye...thanks for the wonderful reviews.

That's too bad. But some days you throw it at the wall and it just doesn't stick.

Very sad to see it go, but very understandable given the circumstances. You guys really knew what you were doing and I'll definitely miss reading the reviews.

This is sad to see. I would like to thank you for all the reviews you have done. It has raised my awareness of end user experience.

Hopefully these losses don't hurt future content on [H]Enthusiest, if anything it would be nice to see more content come across the line with the freed up staff. :)

As a visitor to HardOCP, I can say that if your sites were actual spin off sites owned by HardOCP with their own domains, they probably would've been more successful. The reason I say this is because I was never compelled to click on the [H] Consumer or Console tabs to check out what they had each day--call it being lazy or whatever you want but the only thing I really took the time to read is the front page. I'm not even sure if this applies to a lot of other people but I'm sure there are more out there like me that never take the time to click the tabs on a main site to view a sub site. Good luck to all of you.
I never checked out the Consumer section because it didn't interest me. The Console section was never updated with up to date reviews so I didn't both going back more than a few times. I think HardOCP could be around for a long time provided they stick with what they do best.

You should be telling the big names that if they want a kick ass review from the badest motherfuckers around to donate a PC for testing. Their kiss-ass reviewers always fail to find the real issues that a TRUE PC afficiando will see.

I'm sad to see it go, but I can totally understand where you're coming from.

I'm sad to see the consumer section go away but can understand how much it takes to run something like it. The reviews were a step up from pretty much any computer review both print and digital. They will be missed.

If only you all could have sold them to a magazine or something to publish in print to make up some costs or something. O well at least it didn't take the entire site with it.

Just add me to the list of people sad to see you go. I'm planning to by a pre-built soon (I need the warranty as my luck with anything electronic is horrid) and I was going to base my purchase mainly on your reviews. Sad to see such an in depth resource go. Thanks for all your [H]ardwork (yes I hate myself) up to now.

Its sad to see this section go away from Hardocp. Thanks for all the great work and letting the consumer know whats good and bad!! Thank you all!!

i've heard alot of talk about ad blockers and flash script blockers on internet browsers becoming more of a strain on website advertising.

kyle, jason, or any of the other [H] editors; would you say that because your audience would be built mostly of enthusiasts that would run these sort of products on their favorite browsers (*cough*firefox*cough*), you have seen this trend at the [H] labs?

it is sad to see you shut down this part of the website, but it certainly is understandable. i do not buy oem systems for myself, but i do read your feedback and reviews to make better recommendations to my family, friends, and those who value my input for their next computer purchase. i knew i could always have the piece of mind that what i learned from the [H]ard reviews was legit, and not motivated because the company who makes the product was shoveling money in the back pockets of those who reviewed them.

it would be nice to see a [H]ard|workshop around quakecon this year. i would buy everyone involved in the product review process a drink.

That's unfortunate for the loss in money, time, and effort but from the very beginning of these new areas (Console/Consumer) I felt like the good 'ol [H] was leaving its roots. When was the last waterblock or HSF shootout? Ya, I know you say there hasn't been that much change in the field and thats why you don't cover it as much but isn't this what the [H] is all about? The articles on hardcore overclocking? Benchmarking shootouts? While this may be a farewell I hope focus can now be put on the core areas of this great site.

Dammit.
It really blows to see this end. Mind you most of use would not have actually bought a prefab system but it provided solid information for friends or family who would have want to go that route. Maybe one day things will work out and some way of bringing it back will appear.:(

You guys did something fresh, interesting, and special, and not for the money but for the community. Bravo! Other sites and publications could learn a thing or thirty from you guys. Thanks for everything you've contributed, and I hope to continue seeing you all around on the forums.

This seems like a pretty big loss for everyone. After the explanation I see why it was eating away at itself. Very unfortunate.

It turns out that our articles were so thorough, that the integrator’s greatest benefit in dealing with us is that they got a full audit of their operation quarterly for the mere cost of a system. That was a far greater asset than putting an ad on our pages where the integrator runs the very tangible risk of receiving a bad evaluation on their next go-around. If they faltered and received a rating of anything other than “9” or “Recommended,” their ad dollars were wasted that month. Why not sit back, let us point out all the problems they had, pass our evaluation around to their employees, and shore up their operation on the cheap? Even if they junk the system that they sent us (which they don’t), they’re getting the best independent audit in the business for a fraction of the cost of an ad buy.

Things like this make you wonder about the future of click-thru advertising. I know google is getting a ton of flak on their intentions to purchase double-click. If companies are going to strictly spend their ad dollars on review sites that will turn a turd into a diamond, where does that leave hard hitting sites like the [H]? Will our 2nd or 3rd options for news/reviews be reading regurgitated bs spewed out by money grubbing douche bags?

I know there are a few mainstays here that are reputable companies providing great products/services, and have been doing so for many years and are boldly displayed on the front page every day......at least we know these guys don't let a little negative press cause them to pull ad dollars, it only makes them strive harder to fix any problems and come up with a better product.

I'm disappointed to see the consumer/console sites go. Hopefully the faithful [H] readers will let these companies know that good reviews can't be bought.......and neither can their shit products.

Good luck guys.

Not to drive the thread off topic, but I'm pretty confident that the future of click-through advertising is pretty bleak. It's an unsustainable model of financing that is reaching it's saturation point. I don't know what will be the replacement but I don't see this advertising everywhere lasting forever.

Then again, I'm no advertising exec, so what do I know?

This sucks. I'm sorry to see you guys go. While I've, at points, made negative comments about aspects of your reviews, [H]Consumer was the only genuine review site on the 'net. You were fair and honest, something that isn't common online. You'll be missed.

I just wanted to tell you guys good luck and God Bless you all! Great work and keep your heads up my friends!

The entire [H] page has been on a steady decline for the last 3 years and your egos have grown far beyond your reality.

Honestly, lets be rational. You were trying to dish reviews of pre-built pc's to your audience who is what...people that build their own systems. What could of possibly gotten into your head to make you think this would work? Trying to reach a new audience? Trying to inform consumers who are already well aware of what to expect? Seriously, just go to any support forum and you could of gotten the same info as your reviews.

I rarely visit the site now and I'm quite happy to see that this part of it blew up in your face. This site has become nothing more than reviews of hardware that most people will not own until they have a good job, they beg mommy and daddy for it, or it's been a year since the review and the price has fallen considerably or news that can be gotten at pretty much any other site involving a pc. This site used to be about getting the most out of your hardware. Now it's about getting most expensive on the market if it passes what you now call your standardized testing. You've become a schill for the high-end market and never even realized it.

You'll notice I didn't even bother to mention the console part of the site until now. It was so ridiculously unneeded that I felt this sentence alone would cover it. You are a website about high-end pc parts.

You've lost why you made the page in the first place. You're so lost in the idea that you have made a difference in the world of how a pc is benchmarked that you forgot those same benchmarks, the reviews of what overclocks the best, and the best cooler to help you get that overclock are what made your page in the first place.

Flame on [H] fan boys. This is my first post in over a year and I'm sure it will be that long before I bother to post again.

The entire [H] page has been on a steady decline for the last 3 years and your egos have grown far beyond your reality.

Honestly, lets be rational. You were trying to dish reviews of pre-built pc's to your audience who is what...people that build their own systems. What could of possibly gotten into your head to make you think this would work? Trying to reach a new audience? Trying to inform consumers who are already well aware of what to expect? Seriously, just go to any support forum and you could of gotten the same info as your reviews.

I rarely visit the site now and I'm quite happy to see that this part of it blew up in your face. This site has become nothing more than reviews of hardware that most people will not own until they have a good job, they beg mommy and daddy for it, or it's been a year since the review and the price has fallen considerably or news that can be gotten at pretty much any other site involving a pc. This site used to be about getting the most out of your hardware. Now it's about getting most expensive on the market if it passes what you now call your standardized testing. You've become a schill for the high-end market and never even realized it.

You'll notice I didn't even bother to mention the console part of the site until now. It was so ridiculously unneeded that I felt this sentence alone would cover it. You are a website about high-end pc parts.

You've lost why you made the page in the first place. You're so lost in the idea that you have made a difference in the world of how a pc is benchmarked that you forgot those same benchmarks, the reviews of what overclocks the best, and the best cooler to help you get that overclock are what made your page in the first place.

Flame on [H] fan boys. This is my first post in over a year and I'm sure it will be that long before I bother to post again.

You raised some valid, useful criticism. Too bad you were such an asshat about it.

I liked the site but there was almost no advertising for it.. I barely noticed the [h] consumer link on the front page.

I clicked it once like 6 months ago and liked the format and reviews (thought it lacked in quantity). After that I completely forgot that it existed.honestly, theres alot of those types of review sites...

I wouldve stuck with [h] consumer if it had advertised more (to keep me from forgetting about it) and matched the color themes of the front page to consumer.

now, if you werent so ignorant, you would realize how many damned people on this site really DO appreciate these reviews. jump in the computers and gadgets forum and actually READ, and youll see how much input is there, and how many people like to buy a pre built computer PURELY to dodge hassle, or for someone else who isnt so apt with computers. In all honesty, its ignorant people like you that are turning [H] the other way. not those who read [H]Consumer. seriously, go read a book or something. because the usefulness of this site is clearly lost on you.

Honestly, ive recommended to THREE DIFFERENT PEOPLE I KNOW to buy from VM and Maingear depending on what they wanted, and thats not counting people i know online, that total is at 8 right now. for a total of ELEVEN people that i have advised, who had no idea what they were doing with computers, and wanted a new gaming rig, media center, or basic browsing computer. all 11 walked out of it satisfied and problem free. and for that, i have to thank Jason, Chris, and Brian, for the reviews they write, and everyone on the Consumer team (Sorry i dont know all of your names :( )

Also, how have they lost the overclocking touch? notice the motherboard reviews lately? THEY ARE THE ACHILLES HEEL! god knows cooling isnt a big problem. any half decent C2D heatsink and the right motherboard will make > 3ghz

you cant get the most out of a CPU, if the rest of your components are crap, [H] shows you what mixes best with what, and how to do what you need to do, to get it running topped out, full throttle. Blood and water don't mix very well, and if you'll notice, youll see nothing of the kind mixing on [H]

I think this is my last post on this thread.... hopefully its not too bad that it needs to be deleted... ill edit things out if you guys want :) just need to educate the ignorant... (I know... its not really worth it)

Thank you all for your kind words and well wishes.

Something that may not have been clear in my original post - our problem was not insufficient page views. We met all of the demands and requests of every potential advertiser. The problem was that once we called their bluff and met their requirements, they would turn and run.

Though we didn't have the traffic that the Enthusiast site does, we still had a very consistent month-to-month audience. Page views are certainly the best tool to draw in advertisers, but in our case, solid page serves were not enough for them.

Thank you all for your kind words and well wishes.

Something that may not have been clear in my original post - our problem was not insufficient page views. We met all of the demands and requests of every potential advertiser. The problem was that once we called their bluff and met their requirements, they would turn and run.

Though we didn't have the traffic that the Enthusiast site does, we still had a very consistent month-to-month audience. Page views are certainly the best tool to draw in advertisers, but in our case, solid page serves were not enough for them.

cut and running is a bitch. they took your free audit and ran as you so put it (or was it Kyle? ) in another thread. it was the supporters that killed them, not the viewers. and if i knew exactly who cut and ran, i wouldnt be recommending them to anyone...

Folks should have cut back on the champagne brunches. ;)

No, seriously, your expert analysis will be greatly missed. I know that your reviews often had a lot of influence on buying decisions for the many thousands of people who regularly attend these forums, and the countless tens or even hundreds of thousands who, in their search for informed investigation, found your essays.

They were top quality, and were some of the best results from [H].

I find it to be a real shame. I have used your reviews to recommend what to buy to a couple people now and they have all been happy with their purchase.
Its a shame to see ya go.

For statements this ignorant, maybe it's best you don't post at all. Seriously. It's obvious you have learned and gained nothing by being here, so why the hell do you come here at all? The only flaming here is from you. While the [H] may have failed at becoming THE name in consumer reviews, it has still left its mark on the online community as a whole. Nobody will ever probably invest the time and money that Kyle and the [H] Consumer team has sunk into making a consumer experience as plain as day as he has, but I assure you, others have learned that running 3DMark is hardly a testament to a consumer PC's capability.

I'm sorry, mods and admins, but this is bullshit, valid points or none. Yeah, it may be questionable as to why an enthusiast site is doing consumer evaluations, but let's also face some facts here - the consumer review sites out there have been doing jack and shit compared to what [H] Consumer has brought to the table. And even now as you leave your mark on the community, they still don't even come close to what the [H] has brought to the table. It was a one stop shop for evaluations and reviews on pre-built machines. One does not need to go searching and spelunking through a website to find a particular machine's review. You laid it out plain as freaking day what make and model you've evaluated, and what you honestly think. More importantly, you also focused on the build quality of a computer, which is something a lot of review sites STILL don't do.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_Dimens..._320_GB_HDD/4505-3118_7-32321258.html?tag=lst

And here's proof that you've left your mark. Yeah, it's not as thorough. Hell, it's only one page. But this one page? It's more in depth than what things used to be. Maybe not CNet, since I always did take their reviews with a grain of salt to start with, but nonetheless, it's obvious that they've come to realize that the bar needs to be set higher. And better still? The user input speaks volumes about what the review itself doesn't speak on.

People have learned. Some people like this one haven't. And it's fine by me. They are obviously happy to be in the dark. Besides, they seem to think they can do better, and yet, they haven't tried their hand at it. You and the rest of the [H] Consumer team on the other hand, did, and it will be your names that have left the mark on the community. Not some anonymous reader named mugenese.

It's a shame that honesty doesn't pay in the advertising world.Your reviews of systems from the various builders were far more imformative than other tech sites,who seem to shy away from the subject of quality and reliabliity of a product.Certainly far superior to anything found in the computer magazines,who clearly are in the advertiser's pockets.[H] Consumer will be missed.

That sucks to hear things had to go this way but I for one enjoyed the articles and what not.

Best of luck in your next endeavor and stay [H]ard!

Too bad. It appears that the business is not ready to let community-oriented sites take over for glossy magz just yet :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back