A few build questions

Let's get right down to business. I've got a few questions for you HTPC guys.

1) I'm using a Phenom II X3 720, which while not really an energy hog could be underclocked/undervolted. Does anybody have any first-hand experience with this or a similar Phenom II chip that could give me ballpark settings that will still perform HTPC-related functions well?

2) I have 4GB of Kingston ECC unbuffered DDR3-1333. I know there is a slight performance drop for ECC but is it going to be noticeable? Would you recommend upping it to 8GB?

3) Are there any recommended Nvidia drivers, or just stick with the latest? The GPU in use is a GT 520. Has anybody underclocked/undervolted this thing at all, or is it already near the line where you wouldn't want to?

I will not be transcoding or editing or anything like that on this machine. Its primary purpose is to be a media hub (xbmc/netflix/hulu/youtube/dvd/blu-ray/music). I'll eventually run a couple of virtual machines on it, but I can use the AMD Overclocking utility to adjust clocks within Windows.

The machine is made of:
Asus M4A79T Deluxe
AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE
4GB Kingston ECC unbuffered DDR3-1333
Nvidia Geforce GT 520
Lite-on Blu-ray/DVD combo drive
2x Samsung 250GB 2.5" laptop HDD
Cooler Master HAF 912
Antec Earthwatts 380W

Let's get right down to business. I've got a few questions for you HTPC guys.

1) I'm using a Phenom II X3 720, which while not really an energy hog could be underclocked/undervolted. Does anybody have any first-hand experience with this or a similar Phenom II chip that could give me ballpark settings that will still perform HTPC-related functions well?
Turn on C&Q and be done with it. With just playing video I doubt it would even clock up to the full 2.8.

2) I have 4GB of Kingston ECC unbuffered DDR3-1333. I know there is a slight performance drop for ECC but is it going to be noticeable? Would you recommend upping it to 8GB?
No. 4GB is overkill as it is depending on the OS.
3) Are there any recommended Nvidia drivers, or just stick with the latest? The GPU in use is a GT 520. Has anybody underclocked/undervolted this thing at all, or is it already near the line where you wouldn't want to?
Just upgrade to the latest. I wouldn't even bother undervolting that card. It doesn't really pull that much power at all. Your total system wattage isn't even cracking 200w. Link

Overall your build isn't that different from mine. I've got bigger drives and a 430. But overall you've got more cores than I do (dual core here) and my CPU hardly ever clocks up.

Back