A few questions in regards to GPU folding

Angelus897

Gawd
I have a few questions in regards to GPU folding (that the outdated FAQ can't answer).

1. I know that with the previous GPU client (for the x1x50 cards) you could not have 2 cpu instances running along with a gpu instance on a dual core machine. You could only do 1 cpu and 1 gpu (on a dual-core). Is this still true for the GPU v2 client?

2. I have 2 x1950pros laying around, but the new GPU client no longer supports the x1950 series of cards. Does F@H still support the old GPU client (and accepts WUs from them)?

3. For the new GPU client, which would be a better option? 3850 ($85), 3870 ($110), or 8800GT ($110)?

Thank you for all your help.

Vlad.

I have a few questions in regards to GPU folding (that the outdated FAQ can't answer).

1. I know that with the previous GPU client (for the x1x50 cards) you could not have 2 cpu instances running along with a gpu instance on a dual core machine. You could only do 1 cpu and 1 gpu (on a dual-core). Is this still true for the GPU v2 client?

2. I have 2 x1950pros laying around, but the new GPU client no longer supports the x1950 series of cards. Does F@H still support the old GPU client (and accepts WUs from them)?

3. For the new GPU client, which would be a better option? 3850 ($85), 3870 ($110), or 8800GT ($110)?

Thank you for all your help.

Vlad.

# 3 first, the 8800GT is goign to give you the most points now.

#1 You can run any combo of CPU clients you want as long as you leave a bit for the GPU to get fed off of.

#2 The old GPU project is gone, forever. The data was unusable.

I'm not too knowledgeable about the GPU1 deal, I've never used it. I do use the GPU2 client though on a Q6600 with WinXP, slightly OC'ed to 3.0 GHz with a EVGA 8800GS that I got from the egg for $80 bucks after rebate. I think they have a 8800GS for like $79.99 ($80 bucks :rolleyes:) without the rebate thing, I think my card was $109 sans MIR :confused:

Edit: Thanks to gwarren007's, in his post below the GPU I was thinking about is a XFX 8800gs for $84.99 from the egg.(not $79.99 like I posted above). Thanks a bunch gwarren007, IMO you are "right on time" as far as the "bang for the buck" go. If I hadn't already ordered a PNY 8800gt I would have gone with the XFX 8800gs below. (it fit's right in with my "tight wad" mode :p

I think the 8800GS or the 9600GSO (a rebadge of the 8800GS) are the best "bang for the buck" ATM. I get about 4500 ppd with a slight shader OC' of 1745 and the cooling fan fixed at 80% (I'm temp anal)

If you want some pretty accurate info about the ATI cards you need to get up with EvilAlchemist. He is our "resident ATI guru ATM. ;)

Edit: Oops :( I just read you were talking about the 8800GT not the 8800GS. I know for sure the 8800GT will "smoke" the other two cards you mentioned "hands down" ;). I just ordered a PNY 8800GT, so I'll give some numbers later :D

Edit: D'oh , I was mistaken about the 8800gs at the egg (faulty memory :( ) It's not $79.99 but $84.99 (no MIR) Thanks gwarren077 :p ( IMHO still not too shaby for an "easy breezy" 4500 points or better :D)

Good luck with whatever you decide and

FOLD ON!

Thanks for the answers. It's kinda lame about the GPU v1 client since I don't really have any other use for the cards, but oh well.

Thanks for the answers. It's kinda lame about the GPU v1 client since I don't really have any other use for the cards, but oh well.

Ebay, you can probably get 30-40 for them, and then you just paid for you 8800GS :cool:

Ebay, you can probably get 30-40 for them, and then you just paid for you 8800GS :cool:

Yea.... I keep all my video cards (I guess collect?)..... lol. I just would rather put them to use than have them laying in some box somewhere. Plus, $30-40 isn't nearly enough for me to get rid of them (I'm not saying that they're worth more).

PS: I think I'm going to end up picking up an 8800GS or GT...

Yea.... I keep all my video cards (I guess collect?)....

As do I, might as well @ least put a GPU to use and not sell it because the "worth" of older gen just goes down the shitter, so (the attempt of) selling a GPU should only be done within a couple years of it coming out, imo. Unless someone doesnt care about selling a 8800GTX for under $200, by all means "give" that sucker away :D.

Yea.... I keep all my video cards (I guess collect?)..... lol. I just would rather put them to use than have them laying in some box somewhere. Plus, $30-40 isn't nearly enough for me to get rid of them (I'm not saying that they're worth more).

PS: I think I'm going to end up picking up an 8800GS or GT...

The deals thread has a link to 8800GT for 90 bucks :cool:

Back