a file thatjust wont delete

Chuckles

Limp Gawd
so ive got this file Windows media player.app that just wont delete, it appears to contain all the help files for the windows media player before i deleted it.

so anyway this thing just wont go away, trash wont delete, and neither will a good ole' fashioned rm -rf (logged in as admin it returns, operations not permitted for the individual files inside and a directory not empty for the actual .app) as this is the extent of my knowledge im at something of a loss. it a small file but it really bugs me and it has been sitting on my desktop for weeks staring me down.

any help would be appreciated.

Could you post the full error from the rm -rf ?
Also, try sticking a 'sudo' before rm -rf

start in safe mode (restart holding down the shift key until you see the apple and gear then wait) when you get in put the item/folder on the desktop, launch terminal and do the following

sudo rm -rf (and there is a space after rf) then drag and drop the items into the terminal window

select the term window then hit return. If you are prompted for your pw put it in and when the desktop refreshes (by clicking on it) the files should be gone. If that doesn't work you can try booting into single user mode (Apple key + S at boot) the do the following

mount -uw / (hit return)
cd to the directory where the file/folder is
rm (file name) and return and it should be gone

Admin != root

You either need to log in as root (which you really shouldn't do), or do what giggle said: sudo rm -rf. If it still complains about missing privileges, I don't know what is wrong.

Back