A [H]orde Recruitment Drive...

Kvothe

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2006
Well since the dog days of summer are upon us, and our lead is starting to dwindle, it looks like its about time to go on a recruiting spree. What we're looking for is the [H]orde's ideas for contests, and such to increase our exposure and get some new faces around these parts that we can corrupt and watch flourish as they borg their hearts out. Any ideas you guys have are appreciated. :D

Keep in mind guys... ive got a couple pc's sitting around here, one of which could be used as a potential prize for whatever we come up with.

I've been tinkering with some ideas here and there.... I talked with Viper about them the other night.... possible changes to the [H]ordebowl(scoring mainly) or a seperate contest if you guys wanted....

Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

OSUguy98 said:
I've been tinkering with some ideas here and there.... I talked with Viper about them the other night.... possible changes to the [H]ordebowl(scoring mainly) or a seperate contest if you guys wanted....

Well drop the details, it might be worth investigating now for something on the quick and dirty. :D

I was thinking, we all could get naked and.... that's about all I came up with.

Front page pimpage would help the most IMO. Yesterday with the WU deal, average people viewing the forum was 2x the average. What ever we need to do to get on the front page 2-3x week would be golden (shower).

marty9876 said:
I was thinking, we all could get naked and.... that's about all I came up with.

Front page pimpage would help the most IMO. Yesterday with the WU deal, average people viewing the forum was 2x the average. What ever we need to do to get on the front page 2-3x week would be golden (shower).

Marty... don't take this personally, but no one wants to see you naked.

Viper87227 said:
Marty... don't take this personally, but no one wants to see you naked.

Yeah, we want to bring people in, not scare them away. :p

Viper was telling me you guys were considering grabbing stats from YURT because we can track one machine ID (and so we'd get to keep our own usernames, makes all the stat-whores happy (myself included))....

So I started thinking..... one of the other problems we ran into last time was that the Intel chips had AMBER proteins with a heck of a bonus on them..... and they could lay waste to just about anything (450 points a day(every day) is hard to beat)..... So I was thinking we could modify things a bit............... If we moved to a ESPN-NASCAR-Fantasy racing type thing, we could figure out how to rank each player (the tough part, what I've been tinkering with so far) and the players could be given 100 points to "buy" other player's PCs.... Of course, this could be used on a per PC basis, or based on the username of the player.... I've looked into both, but haven't determined which is easier/better/etc....

The goal being that those of us who have a few crappy PCs wouldn't get slaughtered by the guys flaunting their shiny new X2s/etc....

The way the ESPN NASCAR Fantasy racing is set up, each driver has a Market Value (10-27... (I've not seen a value higher than 26.x)).... the better the driver, the higher the market value.... if the driver finishes 43rd every week, he has a low score.... The players make a team of 5 drivers, but the sum of their market values cannot exceed 100.... but once you buy a driver, he holds his market value unless you sell him back (so if you bought him at 14.0, and he starts winning every race and his value goes to 22.5, you still have him for 14, until you sell him)......

If we could find a way to make a market value for each user or each PC, then we could have some variability.... I think it might make it more fun.......... I just haven't figured out what I can base the market value on or how to score each week

edit--- does any of that make sense??

Well we'll leave that for [H]ordeBowl time once it gets here. As for recruitment stuff, we're thinking something easy to increase our visibility. We wanna appeal on a folding and forum basis of getting new faces.

understandable... just thought I'd give you a heads up for the [H]bowl... especially since it's fast approaching (Aug. isn't too far off)

I've thought of switching over to team 33 from 13854, I think contests for the new joiners are the way to atract us :p

I'll slowly be switching my folders over to team 33, have about 10ghz of cpu power and putting together a D805 to play with.

MaoKhan said:
oh another GenMay brethren?! :D

Yeah, joined while they were up around 10th place, its just going downhill now. Might as well be a part of a winning team :)

Unfortunatly its gonna take me a couple weeks to get my 5 boxes converted to 33. Working out of town and only have my P4 2.4 laptop with me... then there's my busted Opty 165, think I got some bad memory.

4DoorGTZ said:
Yeah, joined while they were up around 10th place, its just going downhill now. Might as well be a part of a winning team :)

Unfortunatly its gonna take me a couple weeks to get my 5 boxes converted to 33. Working out of town and only have my P4 2.4 laptop with me... then there's my busted Opty 165, think I got some bad memory.

Trust me.. you will be happier at team 33. We've got one helluva group of guys posting around here, a great team, and there's always the contests. We've got a big one coming up in a bit over a month... so get your boxen convertered!

ok heres my go at an idear, pre-warning that im sure theres lots of things wrong with it
trying to keep things simple.

step 1. sign up X amount of existing [H] folders each, one becomes a team leader.

step 2. each team leader has to recruit as many new [H] folders as possible for his mini team.

end result is a chain style race, same idear as alot of sales outfits do, the more people you sign up and do sales for you, the better.

would need to figure out a way to reward the winning team, that would be motiational to all members, but realistic in case someone signs up 200 new people :)

ps and the contest should have the word [H]ot, or [H]eat, or something similar for the summer time idear.

Rockaholic said:
ok heres my go at an idear, pre-warning that im sure theres lots of things wrong with it
trying to keep things simple.

step 1. sign up X amount of existing [H] folders each, one becomes a team leader.

step 2. each team leader has to recruit as many new [H] folders as possible for his mini team.

end result is a chain style race, same idear as alot of sales outfits do, the more people you sign up and do sales for you, the better.

would need to figure out a way to reward the winning team, that would be motiational to all members, but realistic in case someone signs up 200 new people :)

ps and the contest should have the word [H]ot, or [H]eat, or something similar for the summer time idear.

Its a nice idea, but the problem is just as you pointed out, supplying a prize to all those who won.

What were up against is money. We don't have alot of it to go around. Thats why something designed around the PC I have here would be best. Its a good enough prize to warrent the effort of recruiting, and since ive already got it, the only cost incured is shipping it, which I can take care of out of my pocket.

Trying to reward everyone from a winning team would be very hard. Expecially since being that we have no idea what the winning team could be. It could be 10 people, it could be 100. Not knowthing that till the end means we either have to pick something cheap incase someone gets big numbers, so we can afford it, or not come up with a prize until after a team wins, based on what we can afford. Either way, I dont think that would make as much as of incentive.

Your thinking... and I like it, but given our circumstances, I don't see a way it could work. Granted, thats not saying it can't. Mull it over, and see if you can't find a way to make it work with just the one PC as a prize. I'd be all ears.

Need corp. sponsers. Do up a form letter and PM it to the Newegg/Monarch etc reps in the for sale forum.

marty9876 said:
Need corp. sponsers. Do up a form letter and PM it to the Newegg/Monarch etc reps in the for sale forum.

Been there, done that. Kyle gave it a firm no. Understanably so... he doesnt want to see Newegg, Monarch, ect. associated our contets with [H].

For whatever reason, we haven't been getting the promotion on Hardocp.com that we used to get (remember Hardforum Happenings?). If Rich can get that going again, I think it would help...

Viper87227 said:
Been there, done that. Kyle gave it a firm no. Understanably so... he doesnt want to see Newegg, Monarch, ect. associated our contets with [H].

Figured.

Mohonri said:
For whatever reason, we haven't been getting the promotion on Hardocp.com that we used to get (remember Hardforum Happenings?). If Rich can get that going again, I think it would help...

To be perfectly honest Steve and I have been really busy.

I have promised Moose and p[H] that you will be seeing at LEAST a once a week pimp from me.

We are going to work on it, It's all hands on deck. :)

can we get left over parts from kyle:) after reviews? if so that would be pretty awesome. still thinking how to bring people over to the darkside!

84gthatch said:
can we get left over parts from kyle:) after reviews? if so that would be pretty awesome. still thinking how to bring people over to the darkside!

Tried that too :). His responce was that if he ever had any spare hardware to give away, he'd rather give it away himself. Again, you have to remember that [H] is not associated with the contests we do, and kyle doesn't want to be. He's got enough to do as it is :cool:. So, we have to find means to do these contests without trying to rely on resources from Kyle.

I can understand no offical [H] support for all the various reasons. Would be fun having team Newegg vs. team Monarch etc.

Yeah the lack of sponsorship is a sticking point, but if I remember correctly, some of the vendors have their own team. Like Viper said, we're kind of stuck with what we've got, thats why we do the solicitations for donations of parts and money.

The biggest thing is any ideas toward a fun way to get new people in here and reward whoever recruited them is what we're looking for. In discussions with Moose and Viper we've kind of come to the conclusion that we're having a bit of runoff overload, so we want to do something different that doesn't necessarily follow the mold of a regular race.

p[H]ant0m said:
Yeah the lack of sponsorship is a sticking point, but if I remember correctly, some of the vendors have their own team. Like Viper said, we're kind of stuck with what we've got, thats why we do the solicitations for donations of parts and money.

The biggest thing is any ideas toward a fun way to get new people in here and reward whoever recruited them is what we're looking for. In discussions with Moose and Viper we've kind of come to the conclusion that we're having a bit of runoff overload, so we want to do something different that doesn't necessarily follow the mold of a regular race.

You know.... I may just have something. It's a bit of a twist on what we discussed earlier. Get your ass back to your keyboard and i'll run it by you.

How about something *simple*, based on a standard contest entry drawing like steve does at hypothermia?

Every day that someone submits at least one work unit, they get one entry in the hat. This goes on for a week, and then a name is drawn. Winner gets whatever hardware the organizer(s) can scrounge up.

That way EVERYONE gets to play, and the guys who already have many borged computers don't automatically win, and even a new participant has a decent shot at winning. Simply submitting one work unit per day is the only way to get the best chance of winning.

Of course the usual one email addy and username per participant rule would have to apply, just like with Steve's drawings.

Just need a db coder to automate the eligibility and submission code and someone to cough up some prizes.

Well, p[H] and I have been discussing, and as it turns out him and moose had just been discussing a very similar idea :D.

What were thinking is setting up a contest in which one user has to encorage others to sign up. Sort of like a referal thing. The more new members you bring in, the more points you get. In addition, were looking at setting something up where your awarded more points based on the new users PPD. Therefor, you get rewarded by encouraging them to borg as much as possible. We're still discussing how we could make a points system work... if anyone has any ideas, we'd love to hear them.

Thoughts? Like? Don't Like?

I was over on the OCAU page seeing what they were/are doing for contests. It looks like they have their members donate parts and assemble a box from the spare parts. They start a thread and have people post their name in the thread to be eligible to win. Granted, if you do it this way, you don't even have to have any boxes folding to be eligible.

I like the idea, if you turn in a work unit, your eligible to win, but to claim your prize, you need to check either the front page of [H] or a thread in the DC section. That way it ensures the winner is atleast active on the boards as well.

I have spare processors, memory, dell barebones, old compaq servers I'd be willing to donate for prizes.

Well we'd like to be innovative, not too much imitative. :D We have stolen our fair share of ideas from them though.

If you have parts and stuff to donate though, by all means PM Viper as he's the one who handles the majority of the contest prizes and such. :cool:

ND40oz said:
I was over on the OCAU page seeing what they were/are doing for contests. It looks like they have their members donate parts and assemble a box from the spare parts. They start a thread and have people post their name in the thread to be eligible to win. Granted, if you do it this way, you don't even have to have any boxes folding to be eligible.

I like the idea, if you turn in a work unit, your eligible to win, but to claim your prize, you need to check either the front page of [H] or a thread in the DC section. That way it ensures the winner is atleast active on the boards as well.

I have spare processors, memory, dell barebones, old compaq servers I'd be willing to donate for prizes.

We've been doing the first part of that for a while now. I have already given away 4 PC's of 100% donated hardware, and have a 5th complete PC, and heavily modded guts of a 6th sitting in my basement. However, if you would like to donate some hardware, I am always accepting donations, and will ensure it's put to good use. Memory I could really use. Processors, depends on what you have really. I could also use some PSU's and drives. LMK whatcha got!

As far as the later part, I dont like it. Turning one WU and making one post is something someone can do in 24 hours time and then never fold again. We want to bring in new members, but we also want to make sure they are commited, and will fold long after the contests stop.

Back