A little AGP help.

magoo

[H]F Junkie
So I have this Shuttle G5 with an NF3 chipset an Athlon 3500+ and 2 GB RAM.......

Im using a 6800 GT currently..............
Would like to squeeze a bit more life out of this (my daughter uses this for gaming,currently HL2)

So........7800GS or 1950 Pro seem to be the contenders.............any suggestions or personal experience would be a great help.
Building a new Shuttle is not the advice I'm after.:D

Will the X1950pro even fit in a shuttle? I have one (X1950pro) and it's pretty big, well really big actually..... But if it will fit, I can tell you, it's a great card.

So I have this Shuttle G5 with an NF3 chipset an Athlon 3500+ and 2 GB RAM.......

Im using a 6800 GT currently..............
Would like to squeeze a bit more life out of this (my daughter uses this for gaming,currently HL2)

So........7800GS or 1950 Pro seem to be the contenders.............any suggestions or personal experience would be a great help.
Building a new Shuttle is not the advice I'm after.:D

If you're going to consider the 7800GS, consider the 7600GT as well. The performance is about the same and the card is MUCH shorter (at least the Leadtek version is).

The x1950pro is the best card you can get for an AGP system, but I doubt it will fit your shuttle-- it barely fit my mid-size tower. But then again, I've never used a shuttle and don't know how deep it is.

Will the X1950pro even fit in a shuttle? I have one (X1950pro) and it's pretty big, well really big actually..... But if it will fit, I can tell you, it's a great card.

By big do you mean long??? Or double wide slot for a cooler???? The 6800 GT fits very nicely.
Yes, the 7600 is a great card. I have one in PCI-e flavor and I like it alot. I'm just looking for all the horsepower I can get.:D

Long. Mines a single slot, but it is really long... I haven't measured it, but I have it installed in a Chieftec Dragon case, and I had to move my harddrives in order for it to fit, due to the length.

The 7600gt would be a good choice.

I have the 7800gs, but it uses a fair amount of power and the card is a non standard construction.

I guess it depends on your games and resolutions... the 7800gs might do better at higher resolutions due to the full width memory bus.

The 7600gt is by far the most efficient card, though... would mate well with a shuttle PC.

Just got home from work and measured my X1950... it's almost 9" long.. Would that fit in a shuttle?

a 3500 and 6800gt would do your daughter just fine. that upgrade is a waste of time and money IMO

Back