A little wary of my new DFI Ultra-D's stability

dbaldus

Gawd
So I've spent hours and hours configuring my new DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D board just to get it to run right and I haven't even overclocked it yet! Looking ahead to school in the spring, I know that I'm not going to have these hours upon hours to configure the board and I definitely will NOT be able to lose the data on my hard drive every month or two.

What I'm wondering is how stable this board actually is after everything is configured correctly and I finally have stable BIOS settings. Will this thing be blowing up on me every month or two if I'm NOT tweaking any settings in the BIOS, causing me to lose all of my programming classwork, or after I get it stable will it remain stable as long as I don't mess with it anymore?

If its going to keep acting like it is and constantly require me to mess with settings just to get it to run, then I'm sending the damn thing back cuz I don't have time for this shit.

But if this is just the "I just got a new motherboard and now I have to set it up" deal, I'll keep at it and love it :)

But like I said... before too long I won't HAVE any time to mess with it anymore and it will have to remain stable on its own :(

did you try placing your ram in the orange slots? also try one stick of ram first in the orange slot closest to the edge of the board. in your sig, you have corsair ram and i don't see many Ultra-D users use that brand of ram. i have seen some but try the orange slots and see if it'll help you with stability. for more info you can visit DFI-Street

Angry at DFI Street will definitely tell you not to use Corsair with a DFI board. He tried the majority of their DIMM's and usually ended up the same result, having to use Auto settings in the BIOS to make it work with DFI's motherboards. I came to that same reality myself as my Corsair XMS refused to POST in a DFI board yet works fine in motherboards from MSI, Asus, and Gigabyte.

They will either recommend G.Skill or OCZ. Generally any DIMM that uses either Samsung TCCD, UCCC, or Winbond BH5 will work fine with DFI motherboards.

fireluxx said:
Angry at DFI Street will definitely tell you not to use Corsair with a DFI board. He tried the majority of their DIMM's and usually ended up the same result, having to use Auto settings in the BIOS to make it work with DFI's motherboards. I came to that same reality myself as my Corsair XMS refused to POST in a DFI board yet works fine in motherboards from MSI, Asus, and Gigabyte.

They will either recommend G.Skill or OCZ. Generally any DIMM that uses either Samsung TCCD, UCCC, or Winbond BH5 will work fine with DFI motherboards.

What's wrong with using the AUTO settings for the RAM? Do you mean it will just use AUTO for the timings or can you not crank up the speed at all?

If it is just the timings, how bad are they actually? If it's just the timings that it messes with, I think I can probably live with that. However, if I can't crank up the speed eventually, I think I'll return it.

But no one has answered my question yet... will the board be stable after I get it stable, or will I constantly have to modify the settings to keep it that way?

Once I set it up, it has been stable for me. I had to reinstall windows when I switched to dual-core, but other than that, I have not had to mess with the board once I got it set up.

ilikecake said:
Once I set it up, it has been stable for me. I had to reinstall windows when I switched to dual-core, but other than that, I have not had to mess with the board once I got it set up.

How long have you been running it stable?

Since the beginning of this year (Jan or Feb, I don't remember exactly). It took me a while to set up as well -- replacing the chipset fan, moding to SLI and such. But it has worked fine since. It even managed to get my 2.0Ghz opty up to 2.85 and remain stable.

What are you studying in school that will take up all your time?

ilikecake said:
Since the beginning of this year (Jan or Feb, I don't remember exactly). It took me a while to set up as well -- replacing the chipset fan, moding to SLI and such. But it has worked fine since. It even managed to get my 2.0Ghz opty up to 2.85 and remain stable.

What are you studying in school that will take up all your time?

Computer Engineering at Iowa State. :cool:

Another reason I can't have all my data disappearing because data = assignments that take 30+ hours to complete.

the ultra-d was the only motherboard i ever had for longer than 2 or 3 months, and i had it for 16 months, and it was rock stable even with 3800 X2 @ 2900. and would still have it if it werent for conroe. i didnt dick around with the ram timings, except for 2-2-5-2 and 1t, all were set to auto. yeah, there were issues with ultra-d/corsair ram.

Back