A love letter to Mario 2

For me it would have to be super mario world, since that was the first game I ever played.

Mario 2 was an awesome game. I have some good memories playing that one, my friend and I stayed up all night to beat it. The characters and enviroments were so strange though, especially those masks that chased you, those thing used to freak me out when I was a kid.

Mario 2 was an awesome game. I have some good memories playing that one, my friend and I stayed up all night to beat it. The characters and enviroments were so strange though, especially those masks that chased you, those thing used to freak me out when I was a kid.

That's because it's actually a Japanese platformer game turned into a Mario game for American audiences. It wasn't actually a Mario game. For the real Mario 2, see Mario the Lost Levels. They thought their Mario 2 would be too difficult (they were probably right).

Mario 2 was definitly different from 1 and 3. 3 being by far the best!

That's because it's actually a Japanese platformer game turned into a Mario game for American audiences. It wasn't actually a Mario game. For the real Mario 2, see Mario the Lost Levels. They thought their Mario 2 would be too difficult (they were probably right).
I'm glad it worked out that way. Love the uniqueness of "Mario" 2, more so than a more difficult map pack for Mario 1.

I also really liked Mario 2, it's not my favorite, but definitely not my least favorite. I loved the secret doorways to the "night" time, and just the many silly/weird things in the game. I always thought: man, mario must've been on some bad mushrooms that night :)

I really liked Mario 3 (NES), but Super Mario World (SNES) was probably fav. <3 Yoshi!

Definitely didn't care for 2.

There isn't a game called mario 2. There's Super Mario Brothers 2, Super Mario Brothers 2 U.S.A., Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins, and Super Mario World 2. I hope that clears up the confusion.

meh I hated Mario 2

Super Mario World
Super Mario World 2 (Yoshi's Island)

Mario 3
Mario

Mario 2

There isn't a game called mario 2. There's Super Mario Brothers 2, Super Mario Brothers 2 U.S.A., Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins, and Super Mario World 2. I hope that clears up the confusion.
You seem to be the only one here confused. Everyone else here certainly seems to know exactly which game is being talked about.

Yeah if you clicked on the link it's clear what game it is - btw, great vid, it almost made me cry ;)

You seem to be the only one here confused. Everyone else here certainly seems to know exactly which game is being talked about.

The Mario games are Japanese first and foremost, so what ever happens in Japan is official cannon. Super Mario Brothers 2 came out in Japan before anywhere else and is the true continuation from the "first" game. This is the REAL and TRUE "Mario 2" The American "Super Mario Brothers 2" is a sprite hacked version of Doki Doki panic. Not a true mario game at all as the game was 100 percent finished before the Mario graphic ever was pasted into it. That's like saying Final Fantasy Legend is a true Final Fantasy game. It's not. I know it's confusing as it's called "Final Fantasy Legend" but it's not a Final Fantasy game as in it's not related to the series in any way. Basically i'm saying as far as Japanese games go, what happened in Japan is what happened because we often don't every game that they do, but it's still a part of the series' history because the event's are reverenced to. Think of the poison mushrooms in Mario Party that were pulled from the real (not fake) Super Mario Brothers 2. Just because SMB2 didn't come out in the USA doesn't mean poison mushrooms didn't appear at that time in the franchise. It's still part of the backstory.

Your information is nothing new that we didn't know, but it's irrelevant what it was originally called in Japan, we didn't grow up in that culture. Mario2 is Mario2 here as everyone else here understands but you.

When I hear mario 2 I think of Super Mario Land 2, because that's the game I grew up with. Regardless, there are so many "mario 2" games at this point it's best to just use the actual title of the game cause some of us never had a NES growing up and there's too many games that could be abbreviated as mario 2, it's just too confusing.

When I hear mario 2 I think of Super Mario Land 2, because that's the game I grew up with. Regardless, there are so many "mario 2" games at this point it's best to just use the actual title of the game cause some of us never had a NES growing up and there's too many games that could be abbreviated as mario 2, it's just too confusing.

That's just bizarre. Everybody knows what we are talking about right away except you.

When people say the game "Mario" do they think of this?

mariobrosa.jpg

No, they think of this:

supermariobros.jpg

So when people say "Mario2" obviously they are going to think about this:

supermariobros2nespotio.jpg

You have got t be one of the only people in the world that think of an original game boy game when you say Mario2. Heck, even Google believes Mario2 to be SMB2.

supermarioland2.png

Back