A new member! And wait there is more!

Kendrak

[H]ard|DCer of the Year 2009
I was on the BBspot, great site and has been dishing teh funnay for years.

I saw this on the site....

Time for a Hardware Upgrade, Your Help Needed

Welcome back to me. The last couple of days I have once again been helping at the preschool class for kids with autism, so work on the site has been limited. It's rewarding and helps pay the bills so it's win-win.

I've decided that it's time to upgrade my computer, or at least I've had it decided for me. The other day I was pondering upgrading my desktop to Windows 7, so it would play nicer with my Palm Pre and other various improvements. I figured with that upgrade I could eke out a few more months at least of use from this machine.

One stumbling block was that the 64-bit edition wouldn't play nice with the DOS program I use for my data entry side job (I tried it out on my wife's laptop). A friend said I should try it on Linux to see if it would run there, and yes, on my Linux Mint laptop the program ran and printed (key) using DOSEMU. I decided that the worst case scenario of not finding a way to have it run under Windows 7 would be to dual-boot with Linux. I was going to wait so I could save money to make that upgrade.

I didn't have to wait long. The very generous friend I discussed it with, informed me that a copy of Windows 7 was on the way. I realized at this point that my current boot drive (the 80GB Raptor drive that BBspotters kindly donated for back in 2004-2005) was nearing full, and that for Windows 7 I'd have to get a bigger drive. I found one for about $60 on Amazon that foot the bill so I'm all set with that now.

I started thinking that maybe I should consider upgrading other parts of my system, specifically the mobo, processor and memory (and possibly power supply). I'm currently running an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ and 2GB of RAM on an MSI nForce 4 board. Not long back I had to replace my video card, so that's good enough.

So for the rest of the month any new donations I receive (donate here) will go toward this upgrade fund. As I did last time, I will be reporting any injuries that will inevitably occur when I upgrade the hardware (knuckles you have been warned). I appreciate your support in helping this geek get a CPU that's less than 5 years old.

Oh, and the old motherboard will go to upgrade my son's even more ancient 800MHz Duron machine. He thanks you as well.

That's all for now. Stay geeky!

Now I fired him an e-mail:

Hi, My name is Isaac, aka Kendrak. I'm a member of the #1 folding team, [H]ard|OCP's team 33, the [H]orde.

I think we might be able to help each other. I know the [H]orde members would be happy to get a system put together for you if you helped us in helping get out the word on Folding (and possibly promote team 33). We have given away computers in contest before (and I'm currently giving one away now). I think provided that the system would fold for team 33 and you helped with the team, we would be happy to help you with a new computer.

If you have any interest, please just let me know.

A long time BBspot reader,

Isaac/Kendrak

I got this in reply!:
Awesome. I'd be happy to help out as I've loved [H] forever and the
folding project. What would be the best way for me to use the power
of my site for good? I could do a BBlog post on it, a daily link to a
page, permanent link to a page, tweet it, etc any combo or all of them
for that matter. Let me know what you think would be most useful.

Also, I just put my computer to use on this, and will get my laptop
going as well. Both are pretty feeble machines, but every bit helps.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

So, what do you say [H]orde?

How can the [H]orde and BBspot help each other?
Also... Me thinks we need to whip up a system for him too eh? :D

I'm going to link him to this thread so he can be interactive with all of us and not just running everything though e-mail.

Sounds good. We could use the help getting the word out. I think a folding machine a month give away would do nicely as well. You know I have some additional parts besides the 9800GX2 I donated. I'm sure others probably have some parts so we can keep this going.

Sounds like a great idea. Getting the word out will help promote folding. Sadly, there are tons of people that still don't know about it.

Hello all, Brian here from BBspot. Thanks to Kendrak for getting in touch with me. If you guys have any ideas for how I can get the word out on BBspot, I'd be happy to hear them. I'm thinking of putting some links up on the site and also making a BBlog post about the [H] folding team. Hopefully, I can get some new members signed up.

As for my current system, I have an Athlon 64 3000+ on a MSI K8N neo4 motherboard with 2GB of RAM. I recently had to replace my video card with a Radeon HD 4850 512MB, so that should be good enough (I think). I'm set on hard drives, and I can keep using my same case. I was really just hoping to get enough funds from my readers to upgrade the mobo, CPU and RAM.

Anyway, thanks again, and I look forward to hearing your ideas, and sending more people over to the [H] folding team!

Oh, I guess my first question is, where should I point people to? Is there a specific page that's best? Thanks.

Hello all, Brian here from BBspot. Thanks to Kendrak for getting in touch with me. If you guys have any ideas for how I can get the word out on BBspot, I'd be happy to hear them. I'm thinking of putting some links up on the site and also making a BBlog post about the [H] folding team. Hopefully, I can get some new members signed up.

As for my current system, I have an Athlon 64 3000+ on a MSI K8N neo4 motherboard with 2GB of RAM. I recently had to replace my video card with a Radeon HD 4850 512MB, so that should be good enough (I think). I'm set on hard drives, and I can keep using my same case. I was really just hoping to get enough funds from my readers to upgrade the mobo, CPU and RAM.

Anyway, thanks again, and I look forward to hearing your ideas, and sending more people over to the [H] folding team!
Welcome and I hope you enjoy your stay here with us :D

Oh, I guess my first question is, where should I point people to? Is there a specific page that's best? Thanks.

http://hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32

here in the disturbed computing forum is good....

so is hard folding (personally I'd say here is better)

it would tend to flood the forums with "I'm new here" posts, and "what do I do?" posts, but that is OK, as we rarely respond with the offensive "Read the FAQ" answer that you usually see in forums. Tho the stickied guides at the top of the forum can usually get people started.

I'd be a bit more focused....

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1345116

That is the main guides and FAQ section. Best place to start.

But I would also say (as was suggested above) to encourage people to start a thread asking for help. We all look forward to getting the next group of folders started!

Last edited:
bbspot,
Reading your initial post supplied by Kendrak, I wondered if you had tried a free program called DOSBox. I have an old DOS program that I couldn't get to run under Win 64, but this little free program seems to work. http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Main_Page

Fold on!

I've successfully used DOSBox under windows Vista 64 bit as well. I was ready to offer a new case I have sitting here un-used, but it seems that BB is already set in that regard. Keep us posted on what kind of hardware you are needing to fill out your new system.

Fold on, Fold [H]ard.

bbspot,
Reading your initial post supplied by Kendrak, I wondered if you had tried a free program called DOSBox. I have an old DOS program that I couldn't get to run under Win 64, but this little free program seems to work. http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Main_Page

Fold on!

Thanks. I tried DOSBOX on my linux laptop, and the program I used worked, but wasn't able to print. The DOSEMU on linux worked and printed, so I have a fall back solution no matter what.

Keep us posted on what kind of hardware you are needing to fill out your new system.

Fold on, Fold [H]ard.

At a minimum I will try to upgrade the CPU and memory on my system. I have a socket 939 motherboard and 2GB of RAM. Right now I have the Athlon 64 3000+, and here are the CPUs my board supports: http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=prodcpusupport&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=&cat3_no=&prod_no=165

At maximum, I will upgrade the mobo, CPU and RAM, but I doubt I will accumulate enough funds for that.

Thanks.

At a minimum I will try to upgrade the CPU and memory on my system. I have a socket 939 motherboard and 2GB of RAM. Right now I have the Athlon 64 3000+, and here are the CPUs my board supports: http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=prodcpusupport&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=&cat3_no=&prod_no=165

At maximum, I will upgrade the mobo, CPU and RAM, but I doubt I will accumulate enough funds for that.

Thanks.

I don't think we will let you go without a system that can run the SMP client if your going to be helping us in atracting new members.

Last edited:
I don't think we will let you go without a system that can't run the SMP client if your going to be helping us in atracting new members.

:eek: Yes of course not! We'll make sure that you are going to be SMP capable at the least. :eek:

I've made a BBlog posting encouraging people to join up, and have also linked the site up on the sidebar on every page of the site. Hopefully, that will help send some people over.

Just wanted to say welcome aboard! Were glad to have you here!
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Thanks. Just posted my first work unit last night. Got a lead on some possible hardware upgrades that I'm checking into.

Welcome, welcome , welcome!

In honor of our new member I went to BBSpot yesterday and my productivity at work dropped dramatically. :D

I don't think we will let you go without a system that can run the SMP client if your going to be helping us in atracting new members.

I don't think he understands folding enough to get the idea of what CPU he'll be getting;).

welcome to [H] Brian

ROC

Thanks. Just posted my first work unit last night. Got a lead on some possible hardware upgrades that I'm checking into.

What kinda hardware?

I've got leads on a mobo and CPU.

I can't do much right away but would anyone be interested in helping buy one of Doozer's GTX275s from DC FS/FT to go in this rig? I can chip in $20 right now from Paypal.

welcome5.gif
to the Folding project and the [H]orde

I can't do much right away but would anyone be interested in helping buy one of Doozer's GTX275s from DC FS/FT to go in this rig? I can chip in $20 right now from Paypal.

I can chip in some as well, about 50 dollars.

Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone. Finished my second WU last night.

I also have donations from my readers that can be used as well. I don't have a total yet, but it's a bit over $100 right now.

Thanks again.

Are you folding on your ati card?

That will give you way way more points than your getting now.

After some years of absence, I'm back to folding, just to support Brian. Baby needs a new computer, but not as badly as Brian :)

Greetings and salutations. I've started folding (under this same alias) for the [H]orde after learning about the project on BBspot.

Welcome to you both!

If you need any help getting systems set up, and or getting GPU/SMP clients going just start a thread.

We love helping the new folks!

Back