a paper on amd and p4

savior

Weaksauce
i get to write a paper on amd vs p4, i would just write amd > p4 but he wont accept it :eek:
can anyone provide links that tell the differences and benchmarks that will help with my paper?
thanks, im just too lazy to research :rolleyes:

savior said:
i get to write a paper on amd vs p4, i would just write amd > p4 but he wont accept it :eek:
can anyone provide links that tell the differences and benchmarks that will help with my paper?

You're not in college are you? 'cause that would be a waste of time if it wasn't for a meaningful credit for your degree.

And if you are in college, get to work!

In intlellectual persuasive writing I would suggest using sources from both intel and amd. Compare the two compainis and thier products but be sure to source information to reputable reviewers, most major newspapers will have archived articles about both. Point out that each has thier strong point, but I would wrap it up with AMD's gain on intel's market share because of the gaming industry. ( you might also write about consumer bias towards intel because of the larger market share and deals with distributors like Dell.)

Anandtech has many good articles, check for yourself. Even if your an AMD fan such as ourselves, it's important to keep in your mind not to knock intel's chips. They do their job, you should just say how AMD does it better at a price/performance ratio. Also, you should mention to the people with lesser knowledge that they should not act like "Oh my god! This intel has more gigahertz than this AMD!" Just explain that architecture is core. :)

I would make sure that you also mention that it has not always been, nor will it (likely) always be AMD > Intel. Back in the P4 2.4C days (or even further back, before the Athlon came to market), AMD was taking a beating like Intel is now, and with Conroe coming up the second half of this year, things could get a lot more interesting.

I'm actually an IT student at my college, and during the first semester, I wrote a paper on AMD vs Intel. Our professor allowed us to write a persuasive essay on any topic we'd like (we did a total of 4 throughout the whole semester). As it turns out, my "AMD vs Intel" and "Violence and Video Games" papers got me a 93 on my final portfolio, go figure :p.

Anyway, I had success looking at cnet and ZDnet, along with our schools online databases and peer-reviewed articles. Then there's always google - "Amd vs Intel".

Just a note of advice , make sure you go into detail on WHY AMD > Intel, and wash it down for a lay person to understand.

HTH.

BarneyGumble said:
In intlellectual persuasive writing I would suggest using sources from both intel and amd. Compare the two compainis and thier products but be sure to source information to reputable reviewers, most major newspapers will have archived articles about both. Point out that each has thier strong point, but I would wrap it up with AMD's gain on intel's market share because of the gaming industry. ( you might also write about consumer bias towards intel because of the larger market share and deals with distributors like Dell.)

He seriously just wrote the paper for you

Try to explain why intels ghz arent as good as amds ghz.....show them how a 2.4ghz amd cpu is as fast/faster than intels 3.6ghz.

savior said:

Want us to do your laundry too? Seriously it would've taken less time to search using google than to post this thread asking for help.

You'll need to go into some background. There are tons of benchmarks out there that will show that current AMD processors perform better than Intel's and use less power. However, you should take some time to also discuss:
--differences in architecture (execution units, pipeline length, onboard memory controller, etc)
--the GHz myth, including Prescott processors
--history of the 'race' (like AMD hitting 1GHz first, but Intel leading at other times)
--the power of marketing (that and exclusive deals are about all that's kept Intel alive the past year and a half)
--introduction of 64-bit processors and dual-core

That's just a few ideas. Most of those will be short, just to give a background for your point of AMD > Intel or whatever.

Back