** A Picture I Took - 2009 **

"Up your nose with a fire hose!" One of the most painful shots I've ever taken:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kadath/3666285936/

3666285936_549148394d_b.jpg

Nice picture for a beginner! Building looks very life like. I only shoot HDR btw, hate standard photos(they LIE!) :D

One thing I would suggest, take more exposures and lower your aperture manually if you're AEB is only 3 frames. Its what I do. Your sky is WAY blown out(like the lights on my falls pictures), so another very quickly exposed frame and blending should make that sky look perfect.

Adjusting your aperture while bracketing for HDR is not a good idea as each image will have a different depth of field. Adjusting the shutter speed will garner better results.

Adjusting your aperture while bracketing for HDR is not a good idea as each image will have a different depth of field. Adjusting the shutter speed will garner better results.
Heh, yeah... you're right, I was mixing up my terms(guess thats what you get for not shooting for months and months). If you read the rest of my sentence you can see what my intent was(lowering shutter speed).

Took this one yesterday. Still needs some PP work.

bjbb.jpg

Canon Digital Rebel XTi, 50mm F/1.8, Focal Length 50mm, F/1.8, 1/1250, ISO-100.

Last edited:
more playing with HDR stuff:

I like the colors in this one, but the noise on the railing of my Terrace is garbage :(

The sun rays in this one is cool, but the colors seem a little dull, i might re-do it.

I really hate that I didn't choose "HeartAttack" as my handle here, but yes, my photography handle is "HeartAttack". :) My fiancee and I are on vacation in Alameda/San Fransisco, CA, and we were at Alameda Beach last night. Here are a few I'd like to share:

1.)
IMG_2487.jpg

2.)
IMG_2476.jpg

3.)
IMG_2355.jpg

4.)
IMG_2512.jpg

5.)
IMG_2443.jpg

6.)
IMG_2452.jpg

What camera have you got "KDG"?

EDIT: WOW - those are some really good shots, much more so even with what is quite a "compact" camera!

Last edited:
What camera have you got "KDG"?

EDIT: WOW - those are some really good shots, much more so even with what is quite a "compact" camera!

I have a Canon XSi, the shots were taken with a 55-250mm lens.

Dunno the rest of the details like the f number or anything, i'm still a n00b and didn't write it down :(

I have a Canon XSi, the shots were taken with a 55-250mm lens.

Dunno the rest of the details like the f number or anything, i'm still a n00b and didn't write it down :(

The "exif" information on those pictures indicates that they were taken with a "Canon PowerShot A590 IS". :confused:

The "exif" information on those pictures indicates that they were taken with a "Canon PowerShot A590 IS". :confused:

You're talking about my pictures lol...thanks for the compliment :)

Yeah, it's my last go with that camera. I have used that camera's manual features to their full extent. It gives full control over aperture, shutter speed and it has manual focus, etc, so it was nice while I was using it. I did some graphics work for my fiancee's photographer in exchange for his old kit. He got a 50D recently. He sent his Canon Rebel XT off to get aligned, lubed, cleaned, etc and while we're here on vacation at his place, he's gonna hand it over to me, along with a telephoto lense, a wide-angle lense, macro adapter, some 8gb cf cards, a 500gb external drive, external flash and a bunch more stuff. It should be here tomorrow! I'm pretty excited :D

You're talking about my pictures lol...thanks for the compliment :)

Yeah, it's my last go with that camera. I have used that camera's manual features to their full extent. It gives full control over aperture, shutter speed and it has manual focus, etc, so it was nice while I was using it. I did some graphics work for my fiancee's photographer in exchange for his old kit. He got a 50D recently. He sent his Canon Rebel XT off to get aligned, lubed, cleaned, etc and while we're here on vacation at his place, he's gonna hand it over to me, along with a telephoto lense, a wide-angle lense, macro adapter, some 8gb cf cards, a 500gb external drive, external flash and a bunch more stuff. It should be here tomorrow! I'm pretty excited :D

*facepalm* Oppss, sorry for the confusion.

But those shots looks very good, I have a Canon SX100 and it's rare that I like a shot made by it - too much noise for my liking - even at lowest ISO.

What work did you do for the guy - just curious. That kit that's "to be yours" sounds pretty awesome - pics? :D:D:D

(Once you get it of course)

*facepalm* Oppss, sorry for the confusion.

But those shots looks very good, I have a Canon SX100 and it's rare that I like a shot made by it - too much noise for my liking - even at lowest ISO.

What work did you do for the guy - just curious. That kit that's "to be yours" sounds pretty awesome - pics? :D:D:D

(Once you get it of course)

Heh, thanks! I'll certainly put some pics up, I should be getting it today! The Powershot A590IS has decent ISO performance up to around ISO200 - that's when it starts to get noisy. I usually try to use lighting conditions where I can use ISO80, which is what I use most of the time. I edit all of his alternative model photography. These aren't "pictures I took", but while you're asking (I didn't take these shots, I edited them - but I can freely post them in any portfolio of mine):

IMG_3516_R0FTW.jpg

Vamp-Shoot1-85_R2-1.jpg

IMG_2185_R1FTW.jpg

Vamp-Shoot1-43_R0.jpg

Aaaaaaand a shot of my fiancee from our last trip:

archgsrs.jpg

Last edited:
DSC_0059_L-res-fix.jpg

City by the sea.... :D
DSC_0003_L-res1.jpg

DSC_3628_tone0001.jpg

...ugh, I thought that I touched this one up. Apparently not.
wine_vines_tiff.jpg

Oh, thanks for telling! Looks liek a pretty good deal... though I dono how many hours you've spent on the computer. :p

Next post down - are the two 1st shots HDR?

Oh, thanks for telling! Looks liek a pretty good deal... though I dono how many hours you've spent on the computer. :p

Heh, well I've built a new PC, gotten a new monitor, and lots of other little things, so I'm definitely not working in vain :p

All of them are HDR actually. The first two are a bit more tone mapped than the others. The second one was intentionally made surreal because of the way it scene *actually* looked.

Heh, well I've built a new PC, gotten a new monitor, and lots of other little things, so I'm definitely not working in vain :p
Boooya. :D
All of them are HDR actually. The first two are a bit more tone mapped than the others. The second one was intentionally made surreal because of the way it scene *actually* looked.

Oh.. I had a suspicion about the grapes though - looks similar to a wallpaper I ahve. :p

Wasted a whole morning for nothing. Bright sunny day and somewhat hot. Man, what a bad morning for photography...:) Didn't see much actions until late evening heading back out again with thunderstorm approaching.....

The Ducklings from this morning.....the only thing that was interesting to shoot....

Some pics from Kayaking, all resized of course to fit
riding along the edge of some local water falls

imgp3487g.jpg

neat pic, too bad it was my crappy water proof camera again

imgp3477x.jpg

couple the wife took of me out on the kayak fishing at sunset, only a P+S so its grainy
dscn0911v.jpg

dscn0897b.jpg

I got my kit!!!

IMG_2668.jpg

-Canon Rebel XT body
-Camera strap
-Sigma 70-300mm telephoto lens
-ef-s 18-55mm zoom kit lens
-Digital Concepts high definition wide-angle/macro lens
-Pro Glass filter kit (UV filter, polarized filter, fld filter)
-Filter case
-Battery
-Extended life battery
-Charger
-PNY 2gb cf card
-Hitachi 4gb microdrive
-Sandisk 8gb cf card
-3 card cases
-Phoenix external flash unit
-Digital Concepts external flash unit
-External flash extender
-Digital concepts media card reader
-Wacom Bamboo Tablet
-Western Digital MyBook 500gb external hard drive
-Camera/lense case (not pictured)

So, my business partner and I landed a gig with the Garden State Philharmonic as their photographers. Although they are a non-profit and we aren't getting paid for this, it's great exposure for us (no pun intended... waaa waaa).

This was our first event that we shot for them. In a little restaurant with a crazy ceiling. This was my first official shoot indoors trying to work the flash (sb-600). Shot with a D50 + D90

Here are some samples if you don't want to click the link:
3663443755_a48fcfe5ba_o.jpg

3664244088_0aee1a6c13_o.jpg

3664244388_f464219c0c_o.jpg

3663443367_396272c657_o.jpg

3664245274_4b04a68de5_o.jpg

Our second even is a July 4th concert outside.

So, my business partner and I landed a gig with the Garden State Philharmonic as their photographers. Although they are a non-profit and we aren't getting paid for this, it's great exposure for us (no pun intended... waaa waaa).

This was our first event that we shot for them. In a little restaurant with a crazy ceiling. This was my first official shoot indoors trying to work the flash (sb-600). Shot with a D50 + D90
Ben, critique If I may......

Your second shot seriously needs to be run through a noise filter, whoa... Good composition though.

Third short, IMHO I think that the DoF is way too shallow..You should have increased your aperture to bring all the food into focus. Just my .02 though :p

Lastly, I think that all of your pictures need to be sharpened up a bit.

Were most of these shots done with the D50? They appear very much like the shots I would get out of my D50 without doing much post processing? My D90 shots are much more crisp overall.

Last edited:
It was very dark in there. I had the ISO up and I did run Noise Ninja on some of the photos. Also, I also... have never sharped any images ever... how do you do that?

Yes, they were mostly done with the D50 since I had the 18-105mm and flash on there. I had the D90 with the 50mm f/1.4 on it.

It was very dark in there. I had the ISO up and I did run Noise Ninja on some of the photos. Also, I also... have never sharped any images ever... how do you do that?
Wow, you ran that through NN and you still had that much noise on the second photograph. I would go over the entire background with the blur tool if I still had that much noise.

I sharpen my images using picture project(Nikon), I think they have nicer processing for some reason. If you're dead set on PS then you can always use the sharpen filter, ive used this a few times on some of my shots.

Yes, the PP that I do actually creates more noise as well from what I noticed. I like the look and feel of my photos too. My wife calls my style, "Industrial".

Anyway, thanks for the CC. Anymore is always welcome. I'm always looking to improve. I'll try and work with lower ISO next time.

I got my kit!!!

IMG_2668.jpg

-Canon Rebel XT body
-Camera strap
-Sigma 70-300mm telephoto lens
-ef-s 18-55mm zoom kit lens
-Digital Concepts high definition wide-angle/macro lens
-Pro Glass filter kit (UV filter, polarized filter, fld filter)
-Filter case
-Battery
-Extended life battery
-Charger
-PNY 2gb cf card
-Hitachi 4gb microdrive
-Sandisk 8gb cf card
-3 card cases
-Phoenix external flash unit
-Digital Concepts external flash unit
-External flash extender
-Digital concepts media card reader
-Wacom Bamboo Tablet
-Western Digital MyBook 500gb external hard drive
-Camera/lense case (not pictured)

Boooo... YAH!!! :D

Nice stuff!

PENTAX Optio WPictorChan - what does the 700mm length equate zoom-wise? As in times magnification?

Those kayaking shots are pretty good, composition-wise. :p

The restaurant shots are pretty cool, but there is feel of extreme "up-assery" on it - like posh, but a bit... forgot the word that I might be looking for... Oh well.

Sooo, I got my kit yesterday and the Oakland zoo was on our calendar for today. I figured it would be a great opportunity to try out my Sigma 70-300mm telephoto lens. Here are a few of the shots I liked:

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg

IMG_0301.jpg

IMG_0463.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0701.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg

A few gulls from my trip to the beach.

Sony A700 Minolta 75-300 f/4.5-5.6 300mm f/8 1/1250 ISO-400
3630859814_50f8c8f744_b.jpg

Sony A700 Minolta 75-300 f/4.5-5.6 300mm f/8 1/2500 ISO-400
3626596115_cee2b9da33_b.jpg

Sony A700 Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 50mm f/7.1 1/5000 ISO200
3639104023_4170329969_b.jpg

Wasted a whole morning for nothing. Bright sunny day and somewhat hot. Man, what a bad morning for photography...:) Didn't see much actions until late evening heading back out again with thunderstorm approaching.....

What lens setup where you using? I saw on the more info that you were on a focal length of 700 mm.

[H]ella|[H]ard;1034310891 said:
What lens setup where you using? I saw on the more info that you were on a focal length of 700 mm.

Canon 1dmarkIII, 500L F4 IS, and 1.4x converter.

Back