A Picture I Took - 2011

mg9730.jpg

The panorama images got me inspired to try one while I was out visiting one of the local dams. I was walking around all day with on a 70-300mm on my D300s. The images didn't stitch perfectly in Microsoft ICE, and one of them I even had to add an entire cell in by hand with Photoshop. I need to get a better program then Microsoft ICE, since it doesn't really blend the images together, but instead has harsh blocky transitions.

Those are great shots. Even if ICE didn't merge them perfectly, I'm impressed it could do it at all with moving water like that.

I use CS5 to merge my shots. I do half frame overlays, load them with File -> Automate -> Merge, I usually keep it on Auto and turn on the lens corrections. Then I crop out the part where my tripod wasn't level or my head was crooked. CS5 does fantastic merges, and will even merge colors and tones (if you leave your Auto White Balance for example.)

Looks like Arizona somewhere... could be Nevada too. I'm basing this purley on Parking lot Architecture.

I love that shot DT, the haziness and lights reflecting off the water are astounding

This is smaller than my monitor, but I don't know how to resize it any smaller than this :(, so I'll spoiler tag it.
OMG!! I am never buying a cheap point and shoot again!
dsc0009small.png
D3100 stock kit.

This is smaller than my monitor, but I don't know how to resize it any smaller than this :(, so I'll spoiler tag it.
OMG!! I am never buying a cheap point and shoot again!
dsc0009small.png
D3100 stock kit.
cool pic.

I'm curious about the ghosting effect in the background though. What's going on there?

20 minutes of sun this evening, so I grabbed the camera for a few minutes and had the plum tree in the front yard model for me.

a-plum_tree_flowers-8602.jpg

a-plum_tree_flowers-8608.jpg

a-plum_tree_flowers-8611.jpg

BB

A few from the last couple of months:

LOVE this one. Happened to be by at the right time of year or knew about it and waited for the sun to be setting (rising?) in the right spot?

<S>

BB

cool pic.

I'm curious about the ghosting effect in the background though. What's going on there?

lol, I was viewing this image on my uncalibrated m11x's screen, and the whole image looked... dead :eek: especially vs my (s3express) calibrated U2711!!

Anyhow, the "ghosting" is probably a bit of the lense + a bit of my own hands shaking. Otherwise, it's actually a small rock formation, some kind of porus, graphite-like rock with some strange, "smooth" areas. I know a picture is worth 1000 words, but all my pics are on my dissasembed desktop, right now :(

My new lens arrived last night so I went out to the park down the street to try it out.

This is a 70-200mm f2.8L lens @ 70mm/f2.8 and ISO 3200 (night under spotlights) with 1/400 sec exposure.

IMG_3165.jpg

First roll with my new-to-me Mamiya Super 23 medium format camera, all shot wide-open @ 100mm f/3.5 ISO 400 on ILFORD FP5+

img20110403_IlfordFP5%2B_203.jpg

A failed attempt at some bellows tilt (hard to do on an upside-down ground glass screen!)
img20110403_IlfordFP5%2B_101.jpg

My kid
img20110403_IlfordFP5%2B_207.jpg

Focusing a rangefinder is haard
img20110403_IlfordFP5%2B_104.jpg

As this camera is from the 60's with no built in meter or electronics of any kind (it doesn't even take batteries), I've resorted to using an app on my phone and it is actually working out quite well! I can't wait till we get more leaves & sun so I can try out the Efke IR820 Aura infrared film I have in my freezer :D

Last edited:
LOVE this one. Happened to be by at the right time of year or knew about it and waited for the sun to be setting (rising?) in the right spot?

<S>

BB

Thanks! I just happened to be by at the right time. It was an outing with a local photo meetup group and the first time I had ever been to this cemetery. Needless to say, I'll be going back.

First roll with my new-to-me Mamiya Super 23 medium format camera, all shot wide-open @ 100mm f/3.5 ISO 400 on ILFORD FP5+

As this camera is from the 60's with no built in meter or electronics of any kind (it doesn't even take batteries), I've resorted to using an app on my phone and it is actually working out quite well! I can't wait till we get more leaves & sun so I can try out the Efke IR820 Aura infrared film I have in my freezer :D

Nice. I'm sure you mean HP5+ since Ilford doesn't make an FP5+.

As for no meter, Sunny 16, and use your guts when indoors. I have an old Chinese Seagull rangefinder (likely Minolta ripoff) that also has no meter, and I've shot a couple rolls successfully on it. You'll develop your "meter sense" eventually. Just remember to compensate if you're changing film speeds (I've lost most of a roll since I thought I was shooting at 125 when in reality I had 400 loaded).

Nice. I'm sure you mean HP5+ since Ilford doesn't make an FP5+.

As for no meter, Sunny 16, and use your guts when indoors. I have an old Chinese Seagull rangefinder (likely Minolta ripoff) that also has no meter, and I've shot a couple rolls successfully on it. You'll develop your "meter sense" eventually. Just remember to compensate if you're changing film speeds (I've lost most of a roll since I thought I was shooting at 125 when in reality I had 400 loaded).

Whoops, yeah I meant HP5+, I've got some HP4 waiting to be developed as well, although I really didn't have any issues with the grain from the ISO 400 film. I guess that's one of the big advantages of the sheer size of 120 film.

Speaking of sizes, I'm scanning the 6x9 negatives at 2400dpi and they're coming out at just under 7600x5000 pixels, or 38 megapixels! :eek: The B&W files were ~70MB each, while the color Ektar 100 files that I'm in the process of scanning right now are coming in at over 100MB.

I know what you mean about the meter sense. I have a printed Sunny16 chart taped to the back of the film holder and I'm learning to meter only the first shot, then adjust in my head as conditions change (clouds, filters, etc.). Its a long slow process but strangely satisfying.

My big challenge is remembering to remove the metal dark slide that protects the film before shooting. The rangefinder gives you no indication if you still have the lens cap or slide in the way, which sucks when you only get 8 exposures per roll.

Definitely get a different feeling from film than from digital though:
img20110401_EKTAR100_101.jpg

Last edited:
wow great shots at an amazing location darktiger. where is that?

Liked this one from a local park. The new blades of grass are coming up after the winter snow melt and outline the trail well.

Bike_Path_In_Elm_Creek_Park_Reserve_Near_Hayden_Lake_Rd_by_Adam_Bavier_1024x680.jpg

Very jealous of all you taking flower shots already this spring. We got snow yesterday... SNOW!? REALLY?!

Anyways, I just bought a DSLR and this is the first ever picture I took that I really liked. Thanks for such a great thread.

frank1di.jpg

Skagit Tulip Festival

First real attempt at macro-ish photography. Mixed in with some landscapes, I kept forgetting to stop it down for the landscapes. Doh! Canon 50D and either 24-105L or 70-300mm IS (non-L).

a-tulips-8761.jpg

a-tulips-8677.jpg

a-tulips-8678.jpg

a-tulips-8693.jpg

a-tulips-8810.jpg

BB

Back