A review about ultra highend setups...

vengence

Level capped
http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews.php?reviewid=609&pageid=1

Please note the following, this thread and this review are not a soap box for fanboyism:
While people will compare the ultra high end ATI configuration against Nvidia's SLIx3 this is not really the point of this article. We wanted to follow up our earlier Skulltrail launch article with a look at how the platform is fairing 7 months later. As Nvidia decided to allow Skulltrail compatibility with 3 cards in SLI we felt it was the perfect time to do so.

That being said, it is VERY impressive what these setups can do. Infact, I got 1/2 way through the article before I realized I was looking at the minimum frame rates over 60fps and thinking they were the average. :eek: It's disturbing what these setups can do!

Don't get me wrong, If I had the money, Id be right there...

Thanks for the post... :)

"We have already gave the 4870 X2's our Heavenly Hardware Gold Award for performing excellence, however today I would also like to give that award to the XFX 280 GTX XXX cards. If you are an Nvidia fan with a larger budget then these cards should already be in your shopping basket. They are the fastest Nvidia boards we have tested".

Good way to end the article. :cool:

Yeah, if I had more money than I knew what to do with, I would buy that setup in a heartbeat. Well almost that setup, I'd probably go all out and watercool the videocards too. I'm not sure where I would find the radiator for such a setup though :)

I suppose it's like an artilce on a Ferrari 430, most of us can't afford one, but we're still interested:D

Basic problem with the over the top systems is power consumption, compatibility, and stability, all things which the next gen of cards, CPU, mobo's get round to correcting at 1/4 the cost:D:D

I suppose it's like an artilce on a Ferrari 430, most of us can't afford one, but we're still interested

Basic problem with the over the top systems is power consumption, compatibility, and stability, all things which the next gen of cards, CPU, mobo's get round to correcting at 1/4 the cost

that plus most enthusiasts try to get the best hardware for the cheapest price that they can push the furthest rather than just the most expensive things out there. If you can overclock 2x 280GTX and get the same framerate as 3x280GTX at stock then you've gotten the real point of being an enthusiast.

that plus most enthusiasts try to get the best hardware for the cheapest price that they can push the furthest rather than just the most expensive things out there. If you can overclock 2x 280GTX and get the same framerate as 3x280GTX at stock then you've gotten the real point of being an enthusiast.

I thought the point of being an enthusiast was buying the best you could afford, and then OCing the hell out of it. I would have a hard time telling someone who owned a skulltrain and 3x 280s (and put it together himself) he wasn't an enthusiast

Me...I'm either not rich enough or enthusiastic enough to fork out for something unless it's offers me power, stability and compatability,ie, I'm silly enough to believe that expensive tech should actually work!!!!!!!!!!

Back