A Silly Proposition

Senryo

Limp Gawd
This is going to seem like a bit of a pointless idea, but hear me out first.

Through the years people have put Linux on different things because they could. The most silly that sticks out in my mind is a GameCube running Linux. We still push harder and harder to get Linux working better and better, on more and more things. Yet I think there's something that we are neglecting:

The Tablet.

I know, Android is *nix based, therefore it'd be a little redundant to do it, but I have a different mind about that. Its still a computer; its still company-created; its still a new frontier. Why stop just because it has a Java-based *nix on it? The ARM/nVidia processors are RISC; isn't that a dream for some code-optimizing junkie?

I want to see a native X-Windows server running Firefox on it in OpenBox :D

Your thoughts?

AOSP (Android Open Source Project) works on tablets. It's considered a mobile Linux distro. There a few others out there (open & proprietary)...

- Maemo
- MeeGo
- WebOS
- Angstrom
- Ubuntu-based distros
- A few others...

But isn't the Android OS already OSS? What's the purpose of AOSP? You are much better at the internets than I am in this regard it seems, for I cannot find much of any info. Now that I know what I'm looking for it'll be a bit easier, but a little opinion never hurt much.

The thing that bothers me with CrimsonKnight13's list is that it seems that the UI and usability elements that make the systems on that list successful don't always seem to make it's way upstream to trickle back down to standard Linux distributions. I've been a desktop Linux user for some time and I feel that my desktop environment on my current system (~5 ghz sandy bridge on SSD) isn't any more responsive than 10 years ago on my tbird ~1ghz.

Back