A small, SLI ready, fully modular PSU?

DG25

Gawd
I need some recommendations for a dual 680 GTX SLI setup, if you could help me, please.

I want a PSU that's fully modular (i.e. including the ATX cable) and preferably shorter, like 140mm-150mm long. I know that some Silverstone PSUs are 140mm, but i want some other options, since i don't really like those (and couldn't find some good reviews).

And if shorter is not an option, then what would you recommend that's not longer than 160mm and would be reliable and quieter under hotter conditions (summer and drawing warm air form the case). I think something 550w-650w should be ok for 680 SLI and i5 3570K and not be terrible expensive. The system would not be overclocked.

Thanks!

550w for GTX 680 SLI is not a great idea. You should be looking around 700w+ to find something that can power the system without being too close to the top end of its operating range.

Also keep in mind power supplies marked 'SLI Ready' mean they can support some SLI configurations, not necessarily high power setups like 2x 680s.

Last edited:
Not exactly super small, but for that kind of GPU setup, I'd be looking at nothing but the Corsair AX750 or Seasonic X750.

I need some recommendations for a dual 680 GTX SLI setup, if you could help me, please.

I want a PSU that's fully modular (i.e. including the ATX cable) and preferably shorter, like 140mm-150mm long. I know that some Silverstone PSUs are 140mm, but i want some other options, since i don't really like those (and couldn't find some good reviews).

And if shorter is not an option, then what would you recommend that's not longer than 160mm and would be reliable and quieter under hotter conditions (summer and drawing warm air form the case). I think something 550w-650w should be ok for 680 SLI and i5 3570K and not be terrible expensive. The system would not be overclocked.

Thanks!

Check out JonnyGURU if you haven't already as they recently reviewed our ST55F-G with recommendation.

For GTX 680 SLI setup, we recommend to start with at least a 650W PSU.

Well you're on the right track with Silverstone.

I would also recommend Seasonic. I just bought a 660W Platinum PSU of Amazon for $90.
That's enough to power for two 680s or a 690.

I have the Corsair AX 850 (was on sale last week plus had a 30% off coupon code!)

I bought it for two reasons......fully modular and short......6.3 inches.:D

Their AX 750 is the same size, fully modular and of course a bit cheaper.

You need a little more gas for a SLi 680 system than 550W......plus you might like some headroom for the future as well.:p

Too bad you missed it by a few days, all the PSUs from Corsair had a 30% discount on top of MIR and instant rebates.
My 850 ended up being less than 140.

Last edited:
Check out JonnyGURU if you haven't already as they recently reviewed our ST55F-G with recommendation.
Thanks, i'll check it out. I forgot about that site...But yes, you and others here are right, i need at least 650W.

About Seasonic/Corsair PSUs (corsair just does the rebranding, the electronics inside are Seasonic, if i'm not mistaken), i know they are top quality, but i've read too many complaints about buzzing (coil noise). And i really, really, don't want this to happen to me again, as i've had this problem in the past with another, older Seasonic psu and with an Enermax. My ears are too sensitive to this type of noise (i even prefer loud fan noise to electronic buzzing), i really can't stand it.

At least 650W. Are you sure you not going to OC? For a few extra $ invest in a solid PSU that way you at least have the option. SB and IB CPU's are so damn easy to OC its almost not fair.

I'll see. If i choose a short PSU, i'll go for the 650w Silverstone. If not, i'll go for ~750W.

Many higher wattage supplies above 700W are at the ATX max depth/length of 180mm. So yes, the Corsair AX series (made by Seasonic) is a good choice at 160mm. The Seasonic branded identical cousins to them may be even better values.

The AX750 has been discontinued; the new version is the AX760. Same retail price, although currently, the AX750 is currently $160 through Amazon and the AX760 is $188. 1 more amp on the 12v rail(s) than the 750 (63 vs 62) and higher max load at 12v (756W vs 744W). Also two more PCIe modular cables than the 750 (6 vs. 4). Both of them are 160mm long.

Similar differences going up one notch for the AX860 at $199 or discontinued AX850; a great deal at also $160 through Amazon. Again, both are 160mm long.

In terms of the identical spec Seasonic branded versions of the above, the discontinued X-750 (SS-750KM) is only $145. The new X-760 is not as good a value as the Corsair AX760 at $10 more ($198).

Going up one power level, the older X-850 (comparable to the AX850) is $180. They aren't producing a new "860" in the X series. Corsair gets those; as well, Seasonic's own 860 is in the top line Platinum series. Looking at the specs, the Platinum SS-860XP is pretty much identical to the AX860...heh (and sells for the same $199 price).

Edit: forgot about lower wattage options. Going down to 650W (and a smaller size), the new Antec True Power Gold TP-650G looks great (at only $125). Made by Delta, 40 amps on each of the 3 12V rails and a full 650W max load at 12v.

In terms of Corsair/Seasonic, there is the new 160mm Seasonic X-660 at $161 (54 amps on 12V rail, 648W peak 12v power). And the Platinum SS-660S at $150 + shipping (55 amps on 12v rail, 660W peak 12v power).

Edit2: in terms of competing reviews, that Silverstone 550W did well on that single review. But its 650W ST65F-G model doesn't compare well to the Seasonic X-650 (at $145; discontinued, the 660 above is the replacement) at Jonnyguru.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks, i'll check it out. I forgot about that site...But yes, you and others here are right, i need at least 650W.

About Seasonic/Corsair PSUs (corsair just does the rebranding, the electronics inside are Seasonic, if i'm not mistaken), i know they are top quality, but i've read too many complaints about buzzing (coil noise). And i really, really, don't want this to happen to me again, as i've had this problem in the past with another, older Seasonic psu and with an Enermax. My ears are too sensitive to this type of noise (i even prefer loud fan noise to electronic buzzing), i really can't stand it.

I own about every Corsair PSU there is (except the new "i" models) and not a single one ever made any discernable noise.:D

GTX680s at stock are 200w TDP.
3570k at stock is around 65w (77w includes the iGPU).
Add in hdds (10w) and fans and such, and a 550w that can do ~550w of 12v will work fine.
If you want to OC, you'll need more power though.

GTX680s at stock are 200w TDP.
3570k at stock is around 65w (77w includes the iGPU).
Add in hdds (10w) and fans and such, and a 550w that can do ~550w of 12v will work fine.
If you want to OC, you'll need more power though.

You can't just pull the TDP values and add them all on top of each other. It doesn't work that way. That's a moronical way of calculation.

Under no real work condition, your parts will all be loaded up to full usage. Even then, TDP = / = power consumption.

That 200W is the max board power, it isn't how much power the card pulls under regular gaming usage. The 680 at most pulls about 150W regularly.

And, you can't just add up an another 150W on top of that for a second card since you don't get full GPU usage (SLi scaling) in games. That's also wrong. The second card in SLi/CF configs pull up to 50W less than the first.

With that kind of setup, you're looking at a continous 300-400W of power usage.

Considering that the SuperFlower units can extremely easily be overloaded to 650W, yet still perform just like how they do at 550W, he can get a Kingwin AP-550, overclock back to hell and forth and still be fine.

Back