A switch that allows you to control link speed?

inotocracy

Supreme [H]ardness
Got a new type of line installed (ethernet over copper through Speakeasy) and it requires that the device connecting to their router be set to 10mb full duplex. The problem is I can't find any switches that will allow you to manually configure that, everything is auto-sensing which won't work. Speakeasy is of no help, they say they can't recommend any hardware :rolleyes:.

Anyone know of a relatively cheap switch that will allow me to explicitly set the link speed to 10mb full duplex?

Most managed switches will let you set the speed and duplex of the port. Not sure what you have, but my dell 3024 will let you set a static speed and duplex as well as the cisco switches I have.

Curious what do you have for a switch between you and speakeasy?

Thanks cal.

What we have now is a NetGear Prosafe VPN FVS318v3. I've tried using different (various linksys) switches in the middle to see if that would help but no go. I can't seem to find a switch that says it will allow that, I'm always seeing auto-negotiate or sensing which is what I'm trying to avoid or at the very least be able to manually configure particular ports. Not wanting to shell out $300-$500 without knowing for sure :(

http://cdn.procurve.com/training/Manuals/1800-MgmtCfg-June2007-59916275.pdf

From Page 2-12:

Port Configuration
You can use the Port Configuration page to manually set the speed, duplex
mode, and flow control. You can enable jumbo frames to support data packets
9000 bytes in size.
Field Attributes
• Enable Jumbo Frames – Click box to enable jumbo frames.
• Port – The port number.
• Speed/Duplex – Allows you to manually set the port speed and
duplex mode.
• Flow Control – Allows flow control to be enabled or disabled. When
the box is checked, flow control is enabled.
• Trunk – Indicates if a port is a member of a trunk.

Should be what you want, but I would call in and ask HP first

took me a bit to find the online manual, but after that it was pretty simple

Yeah, it shows in the manual the individual port settings (uses a drop down to set), which is exactly what I need. Should get it by Wednesday. Thanks again!

Back