A10-7850K running hot

Low Roller

[H]ard|Gawd
I put together this little A10-7850K system, and performance wise, it's a nice little little setup for basic all around computing needs.

However, the stock cooler is a POS and IMO not adequate even at stock speeds. Without any overclocking, I ran some Prme95 just to see how the temps looked and I did not like what I saw. My temps steadily climbed into the mid 70C's before I shutdown to stress test.

I'm thinking of replacing the stock cooler something inexpensive like a CM Hyper TX3. No room in this build for anything larger like the Hyper 212.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

calling bs stock cooler on mine doesn't let it over 120F remove the tim and apply new paste i removed the paste it came with put as5 on it.

I have an A8 5600K in my wife's machine and when using the stock cooler it got super hot and the cooler was just obnoxiously loud. I had built her a small form factor system, but it was a silverstone case so it had enough room for a hyper212 with a single fan. Sooooo much cooler and quieter now. I think the stock coolers from AMD are crap and shouldn't even be shipped with the damn CPU.

I had a A10-6800K and running prime it would throttle itself above 70 C, and that was pretty dam quick after starting it. Stock heatsink/fan are pieces of shit for the higher end apu's.

i have a a10-7850k with stock hsf mining on it does not go over 120F

Last edited:
I personally was using the tools that came with the motherboard, downloaded the latest version though, from Gigabyte. However, when the fan would spin up to what I thought was 100% nearly right away, it was not even usable due to the noise. No amount of resetting the fan helped either, it was set properly. I think some of the coolers that come with these APU's are broken or don't fit correctly. After putting the Hyper on there, the damn thing runs cooler than my rig and I can't get the temps above 50c honestly...

What are you using to monitor temperatures?
I wasn't getting accurate readings with Core Temp, so installed HWinfo which works with these Kaveri APU's.

After the prime test for a few min, I decided to take off the stock heatsink, clean off the stock thermal compound and try some AS5. Well, the damn thing was already just about fused to the APU already! I had to pry it pretty good to remove it. I only had the build running for a few days, installed Windows etc and just browsing the web and stuff before I started prime up. Could not believe the stock heatsink was already about welded on!

Anyway, after pulling off the stock heatisink and cleaning it, I noticed the solid center portion where the stock thermal compound had been was very small and doesn't come close to covering the heat spreader on the APU.

I might try the stock heatsink again with some AS5 like Lunas suggested, just to see if it makes a difference vs. the stock thermal compound. But either way, the stock heatsink seems very insufficient to me. I just got back from Microcenter with a Hyper TX3, and I'm pretty sure that's going to be cooling this APU when all is said and done.

The grey goo on my 5500's stock hsf dried out and temps went through the roof, naturally. I replaced it with (overkill) cm 212 hyper evo

I will admit i dont think very highly of it but mine is not that loud either...

The early FX-4100 and FX-6100 had a halfway decent cooler with a copper core. I think one of those would be a good replacement if you can find one. They are a bit larger than the stock 7850k cooler but have the same basic design, just with the addition of that copper core. A bit of ebay searching might get you one fairly cheap. I would not pay more than around $15 for one though.

edit: I did a quick google search and found one if you haven't seen it: http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/atta...854398-new-build-using-amd-fx-4100-cooler.jpg

One more thing, these are a bit odd for one big reason. The lever flips right to left to lock it in place. It's opposite of every other AMD cooler I have seen. I've got two of these so trust me I know from learning the hard way. Why AMD would switch the lever for these is beyond me.

Last edited:
I use the stock 8350 hsf which has some copper for my AMD A10-5700. It keeps it nice and cool but it is not exactly quiet so be warned.

Didn't want to skimp on the CPU cooling so I got this for the A10-7850K. It's the only one that's compatible with the Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI mITX mobo.

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=32&lng=en
noctua_nh_u9b_se2_1.jpg

Could someone recommend a low profile cooler for an FM2+ mITX system with this APU ?

Built my brother a A10 Trinity system last year and before I even put it together I bought the copper heat pipe version from a X4 [something like that] off Amazon.

Made a world of difference compared to the serious POS cooler that comes in the box.

Why AMD continues to save pennies by putting a pathetic cooler in the retail box is beyond me.

I use the stock 8350 hsf which has some copper for my AMD A10-5700. It keeps it nice and cool but it is not exactly quiet so be warned.

Moosh: This is what I'm doing as well. The stock 8350 (A10 & A6) is pretty solid & picked-up two of them on eBay for $25.00 w/ free shipping. I don't find them super loud either.

Well, I pulled the LOL POS stock heatsink and tried it with some AS5. Idling at about 50C according to the BIOS, which is a 5C improvement, but still. The stock HSF solution is a joke.

20140301_175058.jpg

20140301_175138.jpg

I replaced mine (stock HSF was idling around 60*C) with a stock Phenom II heatsink I had laying around with an 80mm SilenX fan on it with some Shin-Etsu G751 and it dropped to 30*C idle and ~50*C load.

I put together a 7850k machine and the hwinfo temps seem weird. Package temps are high into the 70's easily but the cpu temps seem low.... there's a 30c delta in the package temp and only a 20c delta on the core temp itself using a 8350 cooler. I ordered an 212 evo for it.

Back