A10-7850k vs. i3-4130 for basic desktop use

Low Roller

[H]ard|Gawd
I was tasked with building a PC for someone who has fairly basic needs and isn't really a gamer. They are in their late 50's and not the most tech savvy. Primary uses will be MS Office, web browsing, online video streaming, and playback of local MKV's. Things like that. The main request is that the new PC be much "much faster" than the relic currently on their desk that struggles with just about everything.

My initial inclination is to grab an i3-4130 and call it a wrap. However, I see my local Micocenter has the new A10 7850k's in at a pretty steep discount($130) compared to most etailers and it comes with free basic mobo.

I priced out the builds I'd do for either choice and price wise, they are a wash. What does [H] recommend?

MISC: With either configuration, I plan on using a 120GB Samsung 840 EVO as a boot drive. That seems like a much better use of the budget than pouring another $100 into the CPU, given the likely uses of the new machine.

Based on what you said, I'd go with the A10 and free mobo to save cash, since it's going to be overkill anyways.

For a suggestion, an SSD in grandpa's solitaire machine is a bit overkill. Only on [H] ;) I need to dig up my q6600 quote...

Keep in mind that Tiger Direct has refurbished desktops with new KB&M for like $150 with Core 2's and 2-4GB of ram. I know it's not as fun as a new build, but it's much more practical for the application, and cheaper.

Last edited:
I'm with bigdogchris: The free motherboard makes the A10-7850K the more worthwhile choice.

Back