A6 or I3 for a windows based NAS

Ryokurin

[H]F Junkie
I've been itching to build a NAS for months, and I'll probably get around to it this weekend. The problem is, I'm trying to do it as cheap as possible. This means, using existing memory and a case. Because I have 4-5 drives that already have data on them (I just want the storage available, they don't need to be in a RAID) and I already have a free license, I'm using Win 7 home. Data will be video (HD and SD) and various other files. No transcoding and probably no remote access other than maybe FTP. In a few weeks I'll buy three 4TB drives and use Unraid or Flexraid for software raid/parity

Microcenter has a i3 3220T 35w part for $109, and their cheapest compatible mainboard is a Gigabyte B75 for $65. However, they also have a A6 7400K for $79.99, and a Asus board for $50. I'm leaning towards the A6 simply because it's cheaper, but I'm open to other suggestions.

I have a 3220T in my server, along with the cooler that comes with an i7 part (cheap to get and twice as thick as the i3 cooler). Power consumption was my main concern since my server runs 24/7 except for Windows update reboots. Plus I knew that my server might end up being a remote script host for market trading so I wanted the higher IPC Intel brings.

My only complaint was that H77 boards only have 4 SATA ports which crimps having a huge raid array.

Last edited:
Honestly, either would be a good Windows fileserver combo. If you're not buying an HBA, look to get the motherboard with the most SATA ports on it, and you're good.

At my Microcenter, I was able to get a A8-6600k with an MSI A75 board for ~$110. Check some of the more expensive processors, they sometimes have free motherboards bundled with them (you may have to go in store and actually look, because in my case it wasn't in the catalog, but listed on the shelf).

Either would be more than enough for simple file serving needs, and you could even go down to an A4/AM1/Celeron. An AM1 board with enough SATA ports is a bit tricky, though.

At my Microcenter, I was able to get a A8-6600k with an MSI A75 board for ~$110. Check some of the more expensive processors, they sometimes have free motherboards bundled with them (you may have to go in store and actually look, because in my case it wasn't in the catalog, but listed on the shelf).

My only reservations with that is the higher wattage. I was set on using the I3 until I realized the A6 could be adjusted from 65w TDP to 45w, and it's going to be on a newer chipset. Power is my biggest concern, otherwise I would just use a X4 630 I have. 8 Sata ports on the mainboard, but it uses 100w idle.

Are you sure about that?
Doesn't sound like its using its Cool&quiet properly.
According to this link the X4 630 only uses 12,6 watt in idle

http://www.behardware.com/articles/768-2/amd-athlon-ii-x4-620-and-630.html

IMG0026964.png

You could get a real cheap PCI graphiccard or even a USB graphiccard as well.

Yep. Got a Kill a Watt connected to it. Granted, it's with a Geforce GT 640 but it idles at 100w, with C&C enabled.

I also have a system with a Celeron e3200. it should be a lot lower, but it only has 2gb of DDR2 memory. if I go and get more memory and a video card, I will end up spending almost as much as a new motherboard and chip, as I also have 4gb of DDR3 sitting free too.

alright, fair enough.
Can't you install teamviewer or set up Remote Desktop and remove the Geforce? Seeing as it will be a NAS you don't need a gpu installed at all. The first one is free for private use (and very easy to set up) and Remote Desktop is included in Windows 7 but eventually you need Pro or Home Premium to use it properly.

I wouldn't be too concerned with power consumption. By the looks of it, your CPU should be idle most of the time. A regular TDP part and a 35W part are going to consume the same at idle. The only real "upgrade" in terms of power consumption might be a BayTrail Atom or something like that.

Back