A64 3200+ doesn't make sense

btf

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

Bought an A64 3200+ today. First time running an AMD since k6-2 days...

Anyway the bios and cpuz detect the cpu as running at 2200mhz (11x200) I don't get it. Doesn't the 3200+ run 10x200?

Temperture is 57C on idle so i'm gonna check the AS5 to make sure it didn't get smudged or something.

The "new" cores (dubbed: Newcastle) run at 2.2ghz but only have 512kb of L2 cache. The old core (dubbed: Clawhammer) ran at 2.0ghz, but had 1mb of L2 cache. Both processors have a PR rating of 3200+. You should check to see if there's a new BIOS for your board. Quite a few boards have been reporting the Athlon 64's temperature wrong. Most have been fixed with BIOS updates.

ok so a minute ago IM COMPLETELY FLIPPING OUT!!!

I remove the heatsink and the cpu stays stuck to it!!! How in gods name???

So 4 pins got bent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It took like 10 minutes to straighten them out carefuly.

Removed the AS5 and put it back.

So it boots fine and seems ok. Am I out of the woods? Or will this thing fuck up...?!?!?!?

It should be fine. If you bent the pins back with care, it'll be fine. I usually remove heatsink/cpu together now as a unit. Then use a razor blade to separate the cpu from the heatsink. Never had to do this except with my Athlon 64. LOL...

thank god... that's a $300 chip up north :)

Temperature is 54C on idle. That sounds high to me?

Does AS5 take long to settle in, I've never used it before.

As freeloader said, alot of BIOS's are reporting very high temps. Try flashing your BIOS to the latest one for your board.

Bios was partly to blame. I installed the latest bios version 1.3 for MSI Neo Platinum and the temp lowered by 10C.

But it still Idles in the low 50's. The heatsink feels cool to the touch so I guess it's still reporting it wrong.

notoriousformula said:
This always happens with AS5 and P4 chips with IHS...AS5 is the culprit here!! :mad:

I am still using AS3 since I have a tube left from the "old days" :D

If you feel the HS stuck to the CPU, the best way is to twist the HS side to side a bit to break the bond and THEN pull up GENTLY! AS5 can take a few hundred hours to settle properly, i gave up using it and use ASC now, its much easier to use IMHO.

Back