A64 3200+ to 4400+ X2 Question..

RookieCAF

Limp Gawd
Just got a nice deal on a 4400 x2 to drop in my current machine, should I just be able to drop it in, and install the driver and be good to go? Or am I looking at a full OS Reinstall?

Thanks!

All you have to do is drop it in. No drivers to install. Windows automatically installs the driver and asks you to restart, which you do. Then it boots back up and you have a nice and quick system. But your mobo has to accept this cpu. Which mobo do you have?

Its an ASUS A8N SLI. Bios Revision 1013 (lord I hope I don't need to do anything to that :eek: )

Thanks Very much for the input!!!! New Case Should be here tomorrow, so all systems will be go :)

Gogogo, I just went from a 3500+ to 4600+ and noticed heavy gains.

Of course, I do video editing and encoding, not gaming..

I did a similar upgrade from Opteron 146 to 170. I just dropped in the CPU and was good to go. I did install the AMD driver though. I just didn't like seeing Microsoft as the CPU driver provider. :p I didn't do any of the other dual core drivers and hotfixes since I don't use power saving features or CNQ.

OK, Everything is in,and working together. Now, If only I didn't have to work tomorrow :(

And I am not calling in, We get a perfect attendance bonus. If I make it all year, I'm a big chunk towards another nice upgrade next year :)

You may want to get the dual core optimizer from the AMD site, and congrats on your new purchase. You'll love it, i Love mine

I like mine too. Two weeks ago, I upgraded from an A64 3500+ to a A64 X2 4400+ and so far I'm not having ANY problems. I have played several games and I can't tell whether there's a performance improvement, but I haven't had any problems running those games. I've played Doom 3 (linux version), Neverwinter Nights 2, Oblivion, Half-Life 2, and now I'm playing X3: Reunion.

I have a 4000+ San Diego box, and an overclocked to 2.64Ghz X2 4200+. I can tell the difference between the two in performance. The X2 is more pleasant to work with since I can multi-task more easily, and it seems smoother.

I like mine too. Two weeks ago, I upgraded from an A64 3500+ to a A64 X2 4400+ and so far I'm not having ANY problems. I have played several games and I can't tell whether there's a performance improvement, but I haven't had any problems running those games. I've played Doom 3 (linux version), Neverwinter Nights 2, Oblivion, Half-Life 2, and now I'm playing X3: Reunion.

I haven't really played games, but 3dmark03 just freaking dies at random points and I have to restart the whole computer. Installed AMD Dual Core Optimizer, same result. I hope this doesn't translate to games as well.

Back