A64 3700+ or A64x2 3800+

jubei

Limp Gawd
This is gonna be my gaming rig to replace the one in my sig (which is going to the wife), so I was wondering... Should I go with

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103562

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819103539

I have no idea whether or not the x2 will be more future proofing or actual performance boost over the 3700 as I know absolutely nothing about the x2 as of now. (I try to keep myself away from technology news or else my bank account dwindles to 0 and stays there).

Thanks in advance

come on now... There are literally hundredes of threads dedicated to this exact question.

Almost all of them say "X2 is better choice"

For some reason, search isn't working for me. Thanks for assuming and not helping though. Kudos for finding a high horse, I'm still stuck with a normal one :(

I use photoshop quite a bit, and I would like to back-up my dvd collection sometime soon (the kids have demolished quite a few of them), I watch a lot of movies on the computer -- mostly normal stuff besides almost always having PS open (or would like to).

I do not know if photoshop uses dual threads, but everything else you are doing would be suited for a single cpu.

I might be in the minority, but I don't think it is worth the $300+ to go dual core right now, as very few apps benefit from it. I say go with a 3000+ and overclock it, or even better, get an opteron 146 and overclock it. Save yourself $150+ and use that a year from now when dual cores are cheap(er).

Chickan said:
I do not know if photoshop uses dual threads, but everything else you are doing would be suited for a single cpu.
seconded. though things may change in the future ;)

jubei said:
I use photoshop quite a bit, and I would like to back-up my dvd collection sometime soon (the kids have demolished quite a few of them).

Say no more, X2 is your BEST choice, by FAR......

Chickan said:

Photoshop IS a dual thread capable app...and so are most good DVD ripping/re-encoding programs....

You are way off base....

Read this thread, see how a dual core is kicking ASS on single cores, not to mention the dual core G5's.... http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=926660

I was trying to decide between the exact same cpus and I went with the X2 and have never looked back. My motivation was to upgrade to something that could multi-task as well as my 3.2 P4 but also game better than it.

jubei said:
I use photoshop quite a bit, and I would like to back-up my dvd collection sometime soon (the kids have demolished quite a few of them), I watch a lot of movies on the computer -- mostly normal stuff besides almost always having PS open (or would like to).

The x2 will enable you to backup those dvd's while you game.

onetrueday said:
The x2 will enable you to backup those dvd's while you game.
And you can photoshop at full speed while encoding videos, and pause occasionally to look at the web browser or check your e-mail with none of the slowdowns of a single core processor.

Nobody ever mentions this, but it's important nonetheless: Make sure that you're running XP pro. XP Home isn't capable of utilizing dual core processors (even despite the fact that it supports HT).

If you're running XP Home, than the choice is simple; otherwise, I would say to go with the 3800+.

GVX said:
XP Home isn't capable of utilizing dual core processors (even despite the fact that it supports HT).
yes it is ;)
it counts sockets, physical cpu's... dual core is counted as one cpu, but it still treats it the way it should

GVX said:
Nobody ever mentions this, but it's important nonetheless: Make sure that you're running XP pro. XP Home isn't capable of utilizing dual core processors (even despite the fact that it supports HT).

If you're running XP Home, than the choice is simple; otherwise, I would say to go with the 3800+.

That's not true. As (cf)Eclipse said, XP Home supports one physical CPU socket, not just a single CPU core. What's more, one dual-core CPU counts as one single CPU socket. Just make sure that you have the latest Athlon64/X2 driver for 32-bit Windows which can be downloaded from AMD's Web site (don't confuse that with the Cool 'N' Quiet driver).

Budwise said:
come on now... There are literally hundredes of threads dedicated to this exact question.

Almost all of them say "X2 is better choice"

What are you talking about, this is the most original thread I've read in years.

Full Folding Ahead!

Thanks guys. I guess I'm gonna go the route of the x2 then. I guess for < 100 dollars more it isn't such a bad idea anyway. So, are there any Mobos I should stay away from. I want this to be as painless as possible as far as installation goes, and I know how new technology is notorious for causing headaches in this department.

jubei said:
Thanks guys. I guess I'm gonna go the route of the x2 then. I guess for < 100 dollars more it isn't such a bad idea anyway..

You are getting an extra A64 cpu for less than $100....some people don't realize that....pretty good deal if you ask me.

Back