A64 in a laptop

Gateway 7422GX/eMachines 68XX (all the same from Arima) have been out for awhile now. I have the Gateway and it kicks much ass....eats up batteries, but what the hell :cool:

Yeah, those (minus the glossy nicer screen) have been around for a year. I had one, great lappy.

I wonder why they are making such a big deal about the HP lineup then?

because hp is supposed to bea better name brand then emachines.. lol!!!

I have an HP ZV6005US with an AMD 64 3200+ and I love it. Battery time isn't the best, but you can't really beat the cheap portable power.

My Emachines M6811 is excellent; the only bad thig about it is the pokie 4200RPM HD. Upgrade that and you have a laptop on par with many high end desktops.

dekard said:
because hp is supposed to bea better name brand then emachines.. lol!!!

doubt it, i have yet to see a crappy HP outperform the emachine M68xx line of laptops for the price

A64 in notebooks have been out for longer than i can remember, there are laptops with Turion procs now, check out the Acer 5020, the video card on it kinda sucks, only a x600 shoulda came with at least an X700. the Ferarri 4000 i think has the x700 i dunno.

Acer Pwnz HP

I believe the big deal with the HP A64 laptops is that they are the first ones using Socket 939 instead of 754

klowngoblin said:
doubt it, i have yet to see a crappy HP outperform the emachine M68xx line of laptops for the price

A64 in notebooks have been out for longer than i can remember, there are laptops with Turion procs now, check out the Acer 5020, the video card on it kinda sucks, only a x600 shoulda came with at least an X700. the Ferarri 4000 i think has the x700 i dunno.

Acer Pwnz HP

Turion blows though... sadly. A64 mobile or centrino all the way.

lopoetve said:
Turion blows though... sadly. A64 mobile or centrino all the way.

Err... Turion is actually pretty close to the power consumption of a Centrino... (25/35W vs. 20, I think? Intel also does not disclose maximum power draw... their numbers are always lower than the full load numbers, whereas AMD publishes worst-case numbers.)

Nonetheless, it gets very close to the same power consumption, has 64-bits, and is identical to Venice, except that it is optimized for mobile use. (Different transistors, apparently.) I am planning on trying an ML-40 in my M6811 once I can find an online vendor that stocks them.

What's not to like about it?

Josh_B said:
Err... Turion is actually pretty close to the power consumption of a Centrino... (25/35W vs. 20, I think? Intel also does not disclose maximum power draw... their numbers are always lower than the full load numbers, whereas AMD publishes worst-case numbers.)
Intel publishes both TDP and maximum power draw (Imax times voltage). You only need to read the datasheets, it's in there next to the TDP. ;)

For example, the "21W TDP" Pentium-M CPUs have maximum power rating of 27W and "27W TDP" Pentium-M CPUs have a maximum power rating of 32W. Like AMD's maximum power ratings, you'll never see Pentium-M dissipation that high. The huge difference is that in power saving modes (i.e. especially on battery), the Pentium-M uses 1/2 the power of equivalent PowerNow modes on the Turion.

Im running a Sager, 3400 AMD-64 DTR setup I bought last november or so. I was able to drop the voltage by .2v and its still fully stable and runs fairly cool. 7200rpm HD is nice too. Only thing is the 9700pro is a little long in the tooth, but it allows me to run WoW @ full rez with all eye candy....so I cant complain.

Back