A64 vs Opteron: Does HT speed make much difference?

JeffD78

Limp Gawd
I'm considering upgrading from my A64 3200+ to a dual core and since the Opty's are a little easier to find for s939 right now, I was wondering if this would make much of a difference?

For example: If I have an Opteron and an X2 at the same clock speeds and cache sizes, is there any noticeable difference?

I'm considering upgrading from my A64 3200+ to a dual core and since the Opty's are a little easier to find for s939 right now, I was wondering if this would make much of a difference?

For example: If I have an Opteron and an X2 at the same clock speeds and cache sizes, is there any noticeable difference?
Going to dual-core will show an improvement if you do a lot of multi-tasking so they say. If you're typically only doing one or two things at a time, you won't notice much difference. I bought a dual-core Opteron last week, and sold it since I don't heavily multi-task and so there was no improvement for me. So listening to the hype cost me $10 to check out and I went back to single core. Between the two dual-cores you mention, you won't notice anything. With that said, I'd still get the Opteron. Your title mentions HT, yet you asked nothing about it. I'll mention the HT speed is the same for both x2 and Opty's.

opterons are said to be of better quality because they are server spec, they also are known to oc very well.

Aren't they exactly the same chip? So an Opteron S939 running at exactly the same speed as an X2 (both with the same amount of cache) should run exactly the same?

It is said Opterons overclock better on average because they're binned differently (marketed for servers).

An X2 with the same cache and same speed as a dual core opteron will perform the same. They both have the same HT speed as well.

Back