A8N-SLI Compatable Ram?

ShockTech

Limp Gawd
Hey, can you guys name some of the ram that is compatable with the a8n-sli?

asus's site doesnt reallly tell you which one, rather the product line.

thanks.

Im looking atthe kingston HyperX 512 sticks....

thanks

I'm quite happy with my TCCD based OCZ Platinum EL PC3200 sticks. Great latencies and it overclocks well. Get just about any TCCD based memory and you'll be happy.

Wont be overclocking...budget is...$700 or less for 2 gigs.

Can you guys shoot me some links to what ram will work good?
thanks

Are you sure you want 2 gigs? The A64 will probably perform best with 2x512. Otherwise you will not be able to run the RAM at full speeds due to the limitations of the A64 onboard memory controller. You *could* do 2x1 gig sticks, but good luck finding them that big with good latencies for a good price.

If you are going to be primarily gaming, 1 gig is more than enough for now.

ThomasE66 said:
Are you sure you want 2 gigs? The A64 will probably perform best with 2x512. Otherwise you will not be able to run the RAM at full speeds due to the limitations of the A64 onboard memory controller. You *could* do 2x1 gig sticks, but good luck finding them that big with good latencies for a good price.

If you are going to be primarily gaming, 1 gig is more than enough for now.

Not really true... Someone posted a link to the Asus knowledge base in a thread I started about this issue... it stated that if you use the Asus-tested memory on the A8N-SLI you can set it to DDR400 in the BIOS (it will automatically downgrade to DDR333 when you have 4 512mb sticks in) and it should work. I do this on mine and it is stable.

Ariel said:
Not really true... Someone posted a link to the Asus knowledge base in a thread I started about this issue... it stated that if you use the Asus-tested memory on the A8N-SLI you can set it to DDR400 in the BIOS (it will automatically downgrade to DDR333 when you have 4 512mb sticks in) and it should work. I do this on mine and it is stable.

Interesting. I wonder how well it would overclock. That would be what would hold me back, but the OP won't be doing any overclocking so maybe it's worth a try. Does it still work in dual channel mode?

I have not tried overclocking .... I also still left all of the timings on "Auto" in the BIOS.. all I changed was the setting from Auto to DDR400. It is running in dual channel mode.

Back