A8N SLI Deluxe no post

doormat

Supreme [H]ardness
OK, here is what I got... (dont gripe at why I got these parts, I'm just helping my boss's son who wanted to build his own computer from parts instead of ordering a Dell, formatting it, and slapping a video card in it like I said he should... :rolleyes: )

Asus A8N SLI Deluxe
Coolermaster "Real" 450W PS
A64 3200+ (I think - that shit on the processor is too damn small for me to read - I'd have to take a picture of it enlarge it in Photoshop)

Here is what I've done to debug this so far...
1. I plug just the PS into the mobo and nothing else. Fans spin up. Bitching Betty tells me "CPU not installed".
2. I plug the CPU and HSF and HSF fan in. Fans spin up, but no beeps from the internal speaker, and nothing out of my headphones.

I think its either two things....
1. Board BIOS is old and wont support the current CPU. (I have no old A64 CPU to plug into the board to flash the BIOS, and this frustration is making me less inclined to buy one in the future)
2. Bad board.

Any ideas? Would know the string off the CPU IHS help to see if this is a new chip?

Thanks.

EDIT: CPU Info... (small x's represent #s I cant read)
ADA3200DAA4BP
LBBLE 0538BPEW
Z810456J51051

I'm having the same problem with my Asus A8N SLI Premium, except that my fans don't spin. Nothing turns on at all.

I don't think I have a bad board though. Hmm.

Maybe reset the CMOS?

You might wanna take out a stick of RAM, that worked on my Asus A8V Deluxe, although that method has yet to prove itself on my new problem.

Best of luck to you.

I'm testin this stuff w/o RAM or a PCI-E card - the board locks up with just the mobo and processor installed. Instead of it beeping and saying "no ram" nothing happens. Like it locks up.

In using all 4 boards in the A8N lineup ( A8N-SLI regular, A8N-SLI Dlx., A8N-SLI Premium, and A8N32-SLI dlx.) I'm seeing that these are finiky about the PSUs hooked up to them. I just went to fire up a new A8N32 to an Antec Neo 480 and nada......use a 480 Truepower 2.0 and no problemo. I am going to assume you are doing the obvious things: hooking up the extra 4pin, and EZplug, etc. (?) May sound odd, but try a different supply if possible. Clear CMOS by removing the battery and also setting the jumper....let it sit for a bit to completely clear the caps, reset jumper. Ram in the wrong slot or wrong ram won't affect the board powering up, it just won't POST. If a single stick is in, use B1 ..... ram slots are: A1(blue)-A2(black), B-1(blue)-B-2(black), with A-1 being closest to the CPU socket. If two sticks, use the blues first.

Yes, all the power possible is being connected to the mobo. I belive the PS came with the case so that does make me worry a little. Plus I figure its "only" a 3200 - not an X2, and even though its an SLI board there is only using 1 video card for now.

I did reset the CMOS yesterday. Let it sit for a minute w/ the battery out and the jumper on.

I have a Antec TrueBlue 480 in my case I wonder if I should try...

Here are the stats from the side of the PSU the case came with...

Cooler Master RS-450-ACLY "Real 450W" w/ Active PFC
+3.3V: 20A continious, 30A peak
+5V: 25A continious, 35A peak
+12V(1): 12A continious, 18A peak
+12V(2): 10A continious, 16A peak
-12V: 1A
+5Vsb: 2.0A continious, 2.5A peak.

Edit: I havent even plugged the RAM in. The idea is that the mobo should beep and give me audio diagnostics if no RAM is plugged in. I know the board isn't 100% DOA since if I take out the CPU and leave just the mobo and PSU I get the beeps and audio warnings. When I plug the CPU in - so its just the mobo and CPU and PSU, it doesn't do anything - no audio diagnostic and no beeps.

no need to use 'EZ-Plug" unless you have a 2nd pcie video card.
you only need 20/24 pin + 4 pin

doormat said:
OK, but unplugging does nothing to remedy the situation.
haha sorry man, didnt mean to suggest that you do that as a remedy, just wanted to inform you that 24 pin isnt required, and ezplug is only needed for sli vid cards. more of an fyi.

as for your prob idk man its pretty odd that putting the cpu in makes diagnogstics not work. i'd think that if the cpu was bad the mobo would at least complain about it
the closest ive come to such a problem is when my 24 pin cable came half unplugged from my x-connect power supply. this made the fans and drives come on but nothing happened. so idk you might as well make sure that your 20/24 pin cable is fully seated in the mobo. doubt that that is your prob tho

another fyi is that you can merely unplug the chipset fan if you have good case ventilation. at least now in winter its not anywhere near a prob. if you do this just make sure you monitor temperatures. but so far so good for me :)

finally good luck man :) truly

can you try it out with ram? it should do fine with that....quite odd....

possibly a bad power supply....

if i'm not mistaken, new cpus are supported under the old bios....just not for overclocking...

btw, i suggest actually making use of asus's tech support email....it works wonders...ya just have to wait like 3 days for a return tho...

Back