A8N-SLI Premium, 4 mixed sticks of RAM

johngvo

Weaksauce
Hi All,

I have tried searching through the forums for this answer and have not found a solution.

I was running 2x512MB sticks of Corsair XMS 3200C2PT. I just bought 2 sticks of the 1GB version of the same memory.

Reading the manual, it says that I need to have the same amount of RAM between the two channels for best performance. I took that to mean that I needed to install a 1GB stick in the 1st and 3rd slots and 512MB stick in the second and 4th slots. However, I get boot up errors when I do this and the voice prompt tells me that I have a memory error.

I have tried all different combinations and I can only get the machine to boot up with 3 sticks. Wil a BIOS problem fix this? I have read that some people can run 4 sticks and I have read that others have never had success doing so.

I don't know what my current BIOS level is since I am not on my machine but I can tell you that I think it ends in a "9" and I haven't flashed it for over a year. Any help would be appreciated. I would rather run 3GB instead of 2GB.

Thanks!

Hi All,

I believe that what the Manual means is that all of the Memory sticks have to be equal size. In addition, I'm not sure a BIOS Flash would help. While I could be wrong I don't think these Boards are meant to be ran with different size Memory sticks, even though the Memory Controller is on the Processor. As I have that same board see my Sig, I would just run it with the two 1Gig sticks & either sell the the two 512 or keep them in reserve.

Orian3182 said:
Once you reach a gig of RAM you have to keep putting gigs in for correct reads.
This is correct. In the SLI boards, you can not run 2*1GB and 2*512MB. Once you put a 1 GB stick in, you have to use 1 GB in all slots.

Dump the 512's and dont worry about more than 2 GB until Vista hits.

I've got 4 x 512 Corsair Valueselect and i can't get this S.O.B. to POST.

doesnt matter which pair i have in there, it is having 4 sticks in there that is the issue....

now that i have Vista i'm pretty keen on finding out how to rectify. The only solution i've read is cranking voltage to 2.8 and dropping FSB speed to 333

i'm kind of irritated that i have to downclock the memory to get the effing thing to work, so hoping somebody has a solution @ 400 MHz

thanks

put it back up to 400 and just loosen the timings abit, having 4 sticks decreases perforance abit.

This is correct. In the SLI boards, you can not run 2*1GB and 2*512MB. Once you put a 1 GB stick in, you have to use 1 GB in all slots.

Dump the 512's and dont worry about more than 2 GB until Vista hits.

Sorry but that is incorrect. I have a A8N-SLI Deluxe board here running 2 x 1GB Modules (Kingston) and 2 x 256MB modules (Adata) with no problems whatsoever. Using the latest BIOS & an X2 3800+ running @ 2.7GHz. Runs sweet with Server 2003 R2 on it and shows all 2.5GB.
As long as the pairs are matched in the same channel slots then the board will run perfectly fine in dual channel mode with 2 sets of different capacity modules.
If it isn't working then it sounds like you either have a faulty slot on the board or one of the modules is faulty. I tested mine using both Memtest+ & the memory check application within PC Check 2005.

Back