A8N-SLI - Switched cases, now a false Video Error?

Arainach

2[H]4U
I attempted to move my Home Server to a new case (P182 from Antec Sonata) for more hard drive slots. I got everything reconnected and setup, but now when I try to boot the machine I get a long-short-short beep code (Award BIOS, so this should be a display issue). On the off chance I fried my video card in the move, I put in another good one. Same beep pattern. This is with everything disconnected except Mobo/CPU/RAM/GPU.

This system has been running reliably for 3-4 years up to this point, so there shouldn't be any problems with the PSU being insufficient, BIOS being incompatible with the CPU/RAM, etc. I've double- and triple-checked that power cables are properly plugged into everything, looked to ensure that things are connected, tried reseating the card, etc.

Is there anything else I should try, or should I assume that the motherboard is dead?

Additional Info: If I take out all the RAM, I still get the exact same beep code. If I take the motherboard and everything out of the case and just sit it on a sheet of cardboard, same beep code.

Last edited:
Sounds pretty bad.

Tried the CMOS jumper/removing the battery?

What board and cpu is it?

Sounds pretty bad.

Tried the CMOS jumper/removing the battery?

What board and cpu is it?

It's an a8n-sli and it's going to be some athlon 64 or x2 variant.

Did you make sure nothing go scratched or removed on the board when you moved cases? Also doesn't the a8n-sli use a funky sli selector? Is that in the right position?

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe (939) Mobo, AMD X2 4400+ CPU. The motherboard does use an SLI selector chip, which is in the single video card position (I reseated it to be sure). I haven't tried resetting the BIOS; I'll give that a shot (nothing much to lose at this point).

EDIT: Yep, no change. I think I'm going to give in on this one; between use as a desktop and later a server, it put up a good fight for 4 years, but I'll just replace it with a cheap i3 combo.

Last edited:
Try checking for a grounding problem.

I've had cases with bad grounds where a perfectly good board would fail because the panels were not grounded correctly.

Just poke around with a multi meter on the mainboard fastening screws and see if any of them do not pass current.

Another quick way would be to reinstall in the old case and see if it fires.

Check the ground on the PSU too if it is new.

I am going to have to go with spirit retro.

Sounds like a ad ground or its shorting somewhere.

Take it out of the case and put it on a card board box. See if it will fire up outside of the case.

I am going to have to go with spirit retro.

Sounds like a ad ground or its shorting somewhere.

Take it out of the case and put it on a card board box. See if it will fire up outside of the case.
That was actually the third thing I tried. Same situation on cardboard, I'm afraid.

Back