A8N32-SLI Deluxe and NCQ Problems

SoulWind

Limp Gawd
I recently picked up a Raptor for my new rig, the new WD740ADFD version with NCQ, I soon noticed that it was taking 3-5 minutes to boot windows, where a quick search on google revealed this to be a very common issue, I simply disabled NCQ (which I might have done anyway) and it runs fine, however I'm just curious to know two things

a)how many other A8N32/any other nforce4 owners had issues with NCQ drives and their board's?

b)has anyone heard of a fix for this yet? i've got the newest Bios from Asus.

Running an ASUS P5N32 (also NFoce) with a Raptor 74GB no problems.
Maxtor DM10 300GB though does get detected but stalls the Windows boot. After some Googling it appeared to be a known issue :mad:
Updated the Maxtor firmware and all is well now ;)

it does that with my maxtor Maxline III drive unless I REMOVE the nvidia IDE driver. Soon as I do that it boots normally. It did the same thing on an NForce4 EPOX brand board. I never tried disabling NCQ so maybe that would have fixed it too...

Haste266 said:
how would u go about disable NCQ neway?
If you have the nvidia driver loaded you go into the device manager and under the ide/sata devices you will find an option for it somewhere (don't have it loaded to see exactly where it is)

Interestin coorz, maybe WD will be able to firmware update the drive and be able to solve it, could be interesting, it is afterall a brand new model of the raptor (with 16mb cache and NCQ vs the older with 8mb cache and TCQ)

Haste266-> If you have the nvidia drivers installed, just go to the properties of the sata controller choose the channel the drive is on (it'll tell you which drives are on the channel) and check or uncheck "Enable Command Queuing"

NCQ is for networked drives. It encurs a perfomance loss on for single user type systems and is better left turned off.

SoulWind said:
a)how many other A8N32/any other nforce4 owners had issues with NCQ drives and their board's?.
Ran Raptors in RAID(0) on an A8N32-SLI Deluxe with NCQ enabled..No problems. Disabled NCQ though because HDTune said they were faster/less CPU usage W/O it.

yeah not that I plan to use it, but thats a good point, I didnt try the raid port on the board, just used the nvidia sata

I had this same problem with a 400GB western digital SATA drive. NCQ enabled in the nvidia drive is definetly the problem.

if you right click on my computer and select "manage", under the system event viewer you will see that there are several yellow icon that represent the disk failing some activity.

On my system it sounded like the drive would click off at boot time, thus taking forever to boot.

This used to happen with my new Raptor 150, Windows would take about 2 minutes to boot and a minute and a half to shut down. I'm not sure what I did to fix it, but it stopped. From power button to desktop is about 6 seconds :)

Back