[H]ard|Gawd
I recently put together this system for my friend:
Asus A8V Deluxe Socket 939
Amd Athlon64 3200+ (2.0Ghz) .90nm
Zalman 7700Cu
2X512 Mushkin PC-3200
XFX Geforce 6800GT
Ultra 500W X-Connect

My friend overclocked it to 2.5ghz and had it running perfectly stable at that for several weeks and was able to run prime95 overnight with no problems. Yesterday he tried to set it at 2.6ghz and it failed. I have tried to set it back to 2.4 and 2.5 but it just wont work. Ive resetted and flashed the bios and tried many things and overclocking only works if i set it to AI overclocking which only allows me to set it to 2.2ghz. Heat is not a problem because it idles in the low 30's and full load is only in the low 40C range at 2.5ghz. Also, the core voltage setting seems to be set at different options at random times, sometimes at 1.4V and sometimes at 1.5V. Does anyone has have a related problem or know how I can go back to 2.4-2.5ghz, and should I flash the mobo to the new beta bios?

Put the bios settings back to Standard and auto. Reboot the machine and let it run for awhile using the default settings. After a few hours, go back and change your settings to the 10% overclock, run it for a few hours, and finally raise to the overclocked settings which he had setup for you once you know there are no more problems.

With regards to the Beta Bios, stay away from it until it is released as a final. Beta bios' can cause you a lot of grief until it is finalized. You should never run a beta anything on a primary machine.

Back