AACS Cracked...Again

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Advanced Access Content System copy-protection scheme has been broken….again.

What’s different this time is that it’s been broken six days before the new, updated version is released. It’s SlySoft, the makers of AnyDVD, which are behind this new crack. The latest beta version of AnyDVD HD, version 6.1.5.1 (beta) makes short work of the latest AACS MKB v3 update.

With this happening as frequently as it does, I question whether these announcements are even a news item any more. It takes me longer to write about the new crack than it did to actually crack AACS in the first place.

They shouldent waste their time updating the protection when they know it's going to get cracked this quick anyway...
What a waste of time.

It's cat and mouse.

Look back and remember the 12138912 revisions of SafeDisc 3/4 and SecuROM 6/7 that were released to combat D-Tools and Alcohol. :rolleyes:

Well the big thing is as long as the DRM is in place every Tom, Rick and Mary who read the instructions on how to copy HD movies will just give up after reading a few lines. Those that that are used to trial and error will figure it out after a couple tries. DRM is made to put those that think they know what thier doing in their place.

Uhh... lol:

lol.png

With this happening as frequently as it does, I question whether these announcements are even a news item any more. It takes me longer to write about the new crack than it did to actually crack AACS in the first place.

priceless. So true

Funny stuff! You would think that someone in charge could come to the conclusion that it isn't worth the cost to fix their DRM every week when it gets cracked before it's even implemented.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

I like that website's poll result as well. funny this is that the latest version of any dvd that supports this crack has also been cracked and is on the net. LOL

Slysoft makes some good software and they update quite often. Just waiting for them to release one for audio DRM.

I was writing a report on DRM for one of my classes. I said that it's pointless. First, programmers who try to beat hackers must be paid. This is a labor cost that is only going to increase as increasingly clever hackers do in DRM before it even hits the market. Hackers do what they do for free, on their own time, just to prove how pointless DRM is. What is the industry going to do, spend more and more money on something that is broken before it even comes to market? They're going to have to pay those programmers more and more, which means their costs will go up. Prices go up, so consumers are even more tempted to download instead of buy.

For every defense, there is an offense that will beat it. The big companies don't seem to realize this basic fact of life yet.

Whats even more redunkulous is that the anydvd author cracked the new MKBv3 without actually owning Matrix 2 and 3 (the affected titles).

When it all comes down to it, the Processing Key must be in the register of the CPU to decode the video at some point in time.

You cant decode video with an obfuscated key either. So eventually it will be reassembled into a working key even if they obfuscate the entire way down the encryption/decryption sequence.

One troublesome thing however is the new AES decoder in the Nvidia 8600 cards. The card does the decrypting, so the key may never reach your CPU registers.

What I'm curious about is this: Will current HD player owners have to somehow flash their firmware to be able to read this new format? I was under the impression that they will, and if so this key getting hacked and forcing a new key out will dramatically slow down HD adoption.

Not that I'm complaining at all. DVDs work fine for me.

One troublesome thing however is the new AES decoder in the Nvidia 8600 cards. The card does the decrypting, so the key may never reach your CPU registers.
That doesn't mean the card can't be addressed. It's possible to address a video card (uhm, this is how firmware updates happen) as well as most other hardware.

What I'm curious about is this: Will current HD player owners have to somehow flash their firmware to be able to read this new format? I was under the impression that they will, and if so this key getting hacked and forcing a new key out will dramatically slow down HD adoption.

Not that I'm complaining at all. DVDs work fine for me.

That is what the ethernet port is for on HDDVD standalone players, and that is what software updates on the PC are for. (powerdvd, windvd, etc)

Uhh... lol:

lol.png

LOL!!! :D

Again those companies trying to protect their content are thinking with their wallets instead of their heads. Apparently they thought that their secure protection system was so sophisticated that it couldn't be cracked. :rolleyes:

there are too many of us, and too little of them.........their first mistake is that something is completely secure........negative ghost rider.

You know, it doesn't cost for them to keep holding on to the DRM crap.. They just pass the cost on to consumers.. That's why they just keep on with it.. It's essentially free. I guess they are just thinking that eventually consumers will eventually freak out and go after the hackers or something.. Personally I think people will completely stop buying the crap before they did that. :p

But since reality hovers more toward the middle, they are still making money off of DRM-laden garbage, so it's going to hang on for a good while, at least on the video side of things.

I cant help but laugh. As if the industry is ever going to out think the hackers. Im sorry it wont happen. Its been true for CD's, DVD's, and everything else, so why wouldnt it be true for HD-DVDS. Its just funny when they put so much money and effort into something, to have it cracked almost instantly.

The main problem is this. Its virtually impossible to create protection for something that has to have a way to be viewed. Obviously, if there is an outlet that can display it, it can be cracked.

You know, it doesn't cost for them to keep holding on to the DRM crap.. They just pass the cost on to consumers.. That's why they just keep on with it.. It's essentially free. I guess they are just thinking that eventually consumers will eventually freak out and go after the hackers or something.. Personally I think people will completely stop buying the crap before they did that. :p

But since reality hovers more toward the middle, they are still making money off of DRM-laden garbage, so it's going to hang on for a good while, at least on the video side of things.

Ironically, they will also put the blame on the higher costs on the hackers/pirates.

Back