AAHHH!!!! Broken pin on my 3400, the 2.86Ghz one!!

Cool, another SLC person. What part of town do you live in? 10th N and Redwood here.

In Taylorsville. =)

Hey.you could buy a water cooling rad from me and have no shipping! heheheheh ;)

How is it morally wrong? The chip should be able to withstand normal installation and removal. It has not. Thus, its the manufacturers fault. ;)

hey!
If you're successful, can you please reply so I can go ahead and send my chip to "the fix it" guy. :) I would really appreciate it since I don't think I want to try and lodge a pin into the socket and lose the mobo all together. :cool:

don't know if this has been said.

Take it to a local professional electronics shop. Find someone with the right tools to maybe solder it back on.

I've been calling around my area and all of them have said that they can't or they won't attempt to fix it. One reason is that the chip is really delicate and sodering requires high temps.

One more thing, does anyone know if losing the three pins indicated below would affect the processor?
PHP:
[s] - - - - - x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - x x
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - -                             - - - - - -
- - - - - -                             - - - - - -

i don't know how to read the intel chart so i was wondering if you guys can help. The position of the space on the p4 2.4 is on the left hand corner of the diagram. The pins are 6, 23, & 24.Thanks in advance.

2Fresh said:
na..not going to rma it. THis is a geat chip. I hit 2.86 on it. No telling what I would get back. Going to send back it to the fixit guy after the holidays. :)

If it does come back functional, don't be suprised if it's become a 2.2GHz chip. :(

I know there is some places on the web that offer the service for repairing broken pins on processors. I just can't find the link (slap me for not bookmarked them up! ;) ) I know for sure that the service exists if that may encourage you. From what I can remember, the job was about 30-40$. It may seems quite high but if it can saves your marvel chip, then, it is worth it.

Para

para,

Have you been to the SPCR forums...your comp is eerily familiar to those that belong in that forum. hahaha. Maybe its conincidence that you built a super silent PC ;) . BTW, I sent that guy two emails and he hasn't responded. Do you know how long he'll take to do the job and ship it? Thanx.

liquid_celica said:
I sent that guy two emails and he hasn't responded. Do you know how long he'll take to do the job and ship it?
He's probably away for the holidays. When I had him work on a mobo abour a year ago, I got it back in just over a week.

liquid_celica said:
para,

Have you been to the SPCR forums...your comp is eerily familiar to those that belong in that forum. hahaha. Maybe its conincidence that you built a super silent PC ;). BTW, I sent that guy two emails and he hasn't responded. Do you know how long he'll take to do the job and ship it? Thanx.

Humm, first I need to know what means SPCR :( As far as noise goes, my computer is not that terribly silent due to my case fans and my Radeon 9800 Pro fan. But for the performance/noise ratio, I am pretty overall satisfied.

Well, I came accross this guy in a couple of threads but never had to deal with him. I know he offers the service. As some other said, I guess he is on vacation for the holidays.

Para

If you still have the pin, take the chip and pin to a jeweller. They can resolder the pin on for you. I've had it done and it worked great.

do you know how much that cost?

I just sent my $35 bucks to Gary so I should be getting it back in about a week. I'll keep the jeweler in mind for next time (which I hope will never occur.) ;) . Oh btw. SPCR=Silent PC Review. Check them out at silentpcreview.com. Its a good site for those that wants to buy things and build a quiet PC.

no big deal, all you need is a tiny-tip soldering iron, it's easy to do.
I had an old P3 that I had to repair.

liquid_celica said:
do you know how much that cost?

I just sent my $35 bucks to Gary so I should be getting it back in about a week. I'll keep the jeweler in mind for next time (which I hope will never occur.) ;) . Oh btw. SPCR=Silent PC Review. Check them out at silentpcreview.com. Its a good site for those that wants to buy things and build a quiet PC.

Thanks for the info.

Para

siegecraft4 said:
NO. NO. NO.
This is an example of user error. You need to be held accountable for your actions.

This guys horse must be like...ten feet tall. GET OFF IT!!

freeloader1969 said:
If you still have the pin, take the chip and pin to a jeweller. They can resolder the pin on for you. I've had it done and it worked great.

That is a freaking great idea! Seriously, next time I destroy something small, I will do that. Freaking cool.

2Fresh, good luck with your repairs. Someone said it won't likely come back a 2.8GHz chip, this may be true. If it's a signal pin, you can almost forget about high FSB. If it's ground or power or VID or something less important you may be okay.

As a side note, I enjoy watchinng the corrupt and criminally stupid engage in unethical practices. Lets me know I'm a good person.

I had a pin break off my Thunderbird Athlon a few years back. I removed the pin from the socket and took pin and chip to a jeweller. It took him about 5 mins to solder it back on and he charged me 10 bucks. The chip came back and still overclocked to 1.73ghz from 1.0ghz (old AXIA stepping!). That's what I do now when I need something soldered such as a motherboard mod.

i did this with an old celeron proc. that i accidentally broke a pin on. take a piece of wire or metal, and cut it and place it in the socket of the missing pin so that it slightly extends from the top. then just put in the processor, and the pin should make contact.

Thermite Paste said:
i did this with an old celeron proc. that i accidentally broke a pin on. take a piece of wire or metal, and cut it and place it in the socket of the missing pin so that it slightly extends from the top. then just put in the processor, and the pin should make contact.
thats gambling... could touch another pin and fry both cpu, mobo, or both

I tried the pin thing before i shipped it out later that day....unfortunately I ended up shipping it out later that day. HAHAHA. Im suspecting a PSU problem so if the chip comes back A-OK from gary, then I'm swapping PSU and probably upgrading to a p4p800 deluxe.

I guess I'm 2fresh's guinee pig :)

A possibility would be to get some of that windscreen heater repair fluid, mix it well, dip the end of the pin in, then stick it back on to where it broke off using that. Depending on how good the stuff is at glueing, your main problem would be to hold it in place whilst drying, still I believe that would only take a minute or so...

I would not even mess with it..it is only like 35 or so to get it fixt correctly.

imagine the mario dying tune, and play it over and over again in your head...

then cry

gothgar said:
imagine the mario dying tune, and play it over and over again in your head...

then cry
someone has played a little too much mario

playing tune in my head.....HAHAHHAAHA. It looks like USPS did its job on getting it to Gary, hopefully I get it back by the weekend and I'll report the goodnews. Anyone recommend a good mobo thats cheaper then the asus p4p800?

AAHHH!!!! to share your pain! i have also broken two pins in my AMD64 3400+... and i need helpppp...
I saw some cool suggestions in this thread.... and like suggested i feel i should have a expert do the job and i tried to contact motherboardrepair.com but i havent got any reply from them. do you have their contact? please let me know.
but the problem is i dont know whether my processor can be fixed? the pins broke without a trace left on the processor and i dont see any metal place holder for the pin.

please helppp

thanks in advance
count

liquid_celica said:
playing tune in my head.....HAHAHHAAHA. It looks like USPS did its job on getting it to Gary, hopefully I get it back by the weekend and I'll report the goodnews. Anyone recommend a good mobo thats cheaper then the asus p4p800?
i bought abit ic7 for $70 imo its better then p4p800 (its even i875)... you can get it $80 reburb right now from the egg its missing gigabit but thats a good thing... increases overclockability of the board
you were verry vague about what p4p... they range from $40-100 :rolleyes:

count_drat said:
AAHHH!!!! to share your pain! i have also broken two pins in my AMD64 3400+... and i need helpppp...
I saw some cool suggestions in this thread.... and like suggested i feel i should have a expert do the job and i tried to contact motherboardrepair.com but i havent got any reply from them. do you have their contact? please let me know.
but the problem is i dont know whether my processor can be fixed? the pins broke without a trace left on the processor and i dont see any metal place holder for the pin.

please helppp

thanks in advance
count

His contact =)
[email protected]

ryuji said:
i bought abit ic7 for $70 imo its better then p4p800 (its even i875)... you can get it $80 reburb right now from the egg its missing gigabit but thats a good thing... increases overclockability of the board
you were verry vague about what p4p... they range from $40-100 :rolleyes:

Ryuji, go easy on the guy! :p
Another vote for the IC7, I have it, I love it, I wouldn't want any other board.

Sent the Paypal and the chip is in the mail today. Should not be long, as he lives in a town next to me...still in the SLC valley. :)

2Fresh said:
Sent the Paypal and the chip is in the mail today. Should not be long, as he lives in a town next to me...still in the SLC valley. :)

should have just dropped it off!

ScHpAnKy said:
Ryuji, go easy on the guy! :p
Another vote for the IC7, I have it, I love it, I wouldn't want any other board.
go easy? how was i hard on the guy?

Shane said:
rma or just buy another one and return the broken one for the new one lol thats what I would do

haha im sorry but this is the type of ppl i hate.

at my firm, we dleivered a cpu to customer, he then claim it was DOA but didint say broken pin. so my colleages gav that person rma no and so he proimptly returned it. i rejected it. he complains. i tell him pins are obviously intact on despatch

he then tries same technique but pratt doesnt know we record sns on cpus therefore we know which cpu was ordered on eaach invoice, he tried it so i jus played along and let him return it. then i rejected it HAHA then he had to pay for double postage to get it back! LOLLLLLLL

see, im not stooooopid, he wasted like £20 on p+p and countless fone calls and got nothing out of it =p

Back