ABIT AN8SLI hell

Captain Kirk

Limp Gawd
So I managed to get ahold of a ABIT Fatal1ty AN8SLI. It booted OK once, but since then, I've been in hell. First off, specs:

• ABIT Fatal1ty AN8SLI
  • AMD Athlon 4800+ X2 (Toledo)
  • 2 GB OCz PC 3200
  • 2x BFG 7800 512 GTX's in SLi
  • Soundblaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS
  • NEC DVD+DL

The box will boot, and hang at the BIOS screen. The uGuru post code says it's a USB initialization issue. I've got my Razer Copperhead, and a Logitech wireless keyboard plugged in. Neither of which should cause a conflict. I flashed the BIOS to v19 (was at v13), flushed CMOS, removed CMOS battery. Nadda.

Any ideas?

not sure whether this will help but...

I have a copperhead and sometimes on a boot the mouse needs to be unplugged and plugged back in to work. Also the config doesn't think its connected. I'm assuming you've tryed a different mouse and keyboard?

No idea otherwise. GL!

BigRon said:
not sure whether this will help but...

I have a copperhead and sometimes on a boot the mouse needs to be unplugged and plugged back in to work. Also the config doesn't think its connected. I'm assuming you've tryed a different mouse and keyboard?

No idea otherwise. GL!
That's it. With the Copperhead plugged in, the system hangs at post code 50 (initialize USB). With the Copperhead disconnected, it boots fine. This obviously isn't desirable behavior :(.

Any ideas?

my board used to do that when id try insane overclocks, like 333x9. it would hang on 50 and when i removed my USB internet guy, it was fine.

Captain Kirk said:
That's it. With the Copperhead plugged in, the system hangs at post code 50 (initialize USB). With the Copperhead disconnected, it boots fine. This obviously isn't desirable behavior :(.

Any ideas?

Once you get into windows try to plug it back in. I dont know if you said it but, did you try to plug it into another USB port?

I've tryed my copperhead in different usb ports and it still does it. Not had it that long and I've been havin a few other probs, thought it may be my mobo... but now I'm thinkin its the mouse. Will try it in a different PC see what happens.

It may go back, soddin £50 mouse....

BigRon said:
done thx.

It fix it for you?
They haven't responded yet, but other forums have been saying that's the fix. Unfortunately, this box may have other problems. I've been playing F.E.A.R. on it today, and in certain parts it will crash consistently. Complete power-down. I have to cold-boot the stupid thing. I don't think it's heat, since the proc varies between 28-48 celsius.

Maybe it's the board giving me grief?

I've been using an an8-sli non-fatality version for ~6 months with no problems. have you tried any of the earlier bios versions? 17 seemed to solve a lot of problems for folks. and not to sound silly, but just trying to be thorough, the sli switch is seated properly? f.e.a.r. really oughtn't to be crashing. are any other aps causing problems? just out of curiosity, why did you go with the fatality one over one of the other sli boards?

my fatal1ty is rocking hard all day and night. havent had a problem yet. what memory settings/timings are you running? are you at stock speeds? how about driver versions (NF4 and VGA)?

Im also assuming that you went to SLizone.com and got the compatability charting for the game. Some of the games have problems in SLi mode and have to have custom profiles, provided by SLizone, installed for the game to work properly. Best bet is to go there and do that. Also what PSU are you using? Remember anything that is running SLi, especially with 2 7800 cards you are looking at atleast 520w PSU, if you are running anything lower than that you are looking for trouble.

-Greg

I'm using a BFG 600W PSU. I think I found the F.E.A.R. problem. Hardware mixing and my X-Fi card don't seem to mix. Once I disabled HD, the occasional stutter & crash went away. I'm using the latest drivers, so I found this a little odd. I'll poke around with the settings some more.

Still no response from [email protected]. I may mail them again. Right now I've just been unplugging the mouse until Windows boots. Aside from the mouse-on-boot and F.E.A.R. crashes, I'm pretty pleased with this system :).

Hey!

Just got an email from razer with updated firmware v0617i. Am at work atm so will flash the bugger later and let you know.

If you've still not got a response PM me and I'll forward it.

BigRon said:
Hey!

Just got an email from razer with updated firmware v0617i. Am at work atm so will flash the bugger later and let you know.

If you've still not got a response PM me and I'll forward it.
Just got my copy. It works like a charm :). No more issues, yeah :D!

funnily enuf mine worked ok last night so I didn't bother flashin, but gd news this firmwear works!!

Captain Kirk said:
So I managed to get ahold of a ABIT Fatal1ty AN8SLI. It booted OK once, but since then, I've been in hell. First off, specs:

• ABIT Fatal1ty AN8SLI
  • AMD Athlon 4800+ X2 (Toledo)
  • 2 GB OCz PC 3200
  • 2x BFG 7800 512 GTX's in SLi
  • Soundblaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS
  • NEC DVD+DL

The box will boot, and hang at the BIOS screen. The uGuru post code says it's a USB initialization issue. I've got my Razer Copperhead, and a Logitech wireless keyboard plugged in. Neither of which should cause a conflict. I flashed the BIOS to v19 (was at v13), flushed CMOS, removed CMOS battery. Nadda.

Any ideas?

Ok I bought practiclly they same motherboard. When I had my ram in certain configurations USB IRQ's would get invalidated and windows wouldnt start. Try unplugging all USB devices and plug your mouse into the mouse port using one of those mouse to USB adapters.

Back