Abit AT8 32X + Opteron 165 = Problems

vladthedecker

Limp Gawd
I just recently switched from an Epox 9npa+SLI to the AT8 32X because I'm contemplating going with a Crossfire system. Well on the 9NPA+ I could hit an HTT of 277 with a 9x multiplier (2493 mHz) at ~1.45V (the default voltage setting on the mobo) but on the AT8 I can't get the same speeds. I can only get the HTT to about 271. I can hit that at 1.425V but if I raise my voltage even as high as 1.6V I can't get a single additional mHz. However if I decrease the multipier to 8.5 I can get as high as 295 HTT. This is actually a higher clock than I can hit at 9x multi ( 2439 vs. 2507).

I don't understand what is going on here. It seems that I should be able to get a better clock at the 9x multi.I would think that I should be able to hit the same clock that I had in my Epox board (277*9) but it seems that overclocking with the default multi is not working on this mobo. Like I said before I can't get a single additional mHz by bumping the voltage from 1.425 to 1.6. That just doesn't seem like it should happen. I tried upping the northbridge voltage by 0.1V but that just made the whole thing wonky and I had to reset the CMOS.

Anyone have experience with this board or any suggestions?

Edit:
On the Epox board I could get my clock as high as 2.6 If I cranked the voltage up to about 1.55. I'm obviously not coming close to this on the Abit board.

I have an AT8 32X with an X2-4400 that I have not overclocked as of yet. I was reading when I researched this board that the BIOS was a limiting factor in getting high clocks with this board. It is a great board, but I am sad to say that they seem to have abandoned support for it due to AM2 and Core 2 having cone onto the scene. That is really too bad. I was hoping for a new BIOS that might give it the performance promised when it was first out.

I have been using it in a server role here at the house, and it has been rock solid stable for me. I suspect that is the role it will remain in without the upgraded BIOS. I have built 2 systems with thier new AW9D Max 775 board, but I will probably shy away from that one for the same reason as the AT8. If Abit is not going to continue to develop their boards after release I am not willing to invest alot of funds into them. That is a shame, as the AW9D has the potential to be one helll of a board!

I have a question for you hortus. I have noticed that if I unplug my board it forgets all of my bios settings. Does this happen to you too? It's rather irritating. I guess the battery could be dead but I just got the board 3 days ago.

Nope, it seems to keep all the settings just as it should. You might want to either check that the battery is in right, or try and test it for proper function.

I have this board. If you want to get a decent OC out of it, there's two main things that you need to keep in mind.

My board flaked out at 279 HTT, also with an opty 165. After a lot of agonizing and hunting around for advice, I found an odd quirk with this board. It dosn't like odd multis. I then tried dropping my multi from 9x to 8x, and suddenly my board was stable well over 300 HTT (I think I got it up to 345 or so before I got bored.) I run my 165 at 8x315 24/7, its also stable at 8x319 but it requires a vcore bump.

The other thing you will need to do is give the mobo itself some volts. I'm running my NB 1.8v at 2v and my NB 1.2v at 1.4v. I had to bump these two voltages pretty early on to get a stable OC, otherwise if I just adjusted the vcore I'd get the same results as you- I could pour on the vcore and it would still be unstable.

I hope this helps, I had a hell of a time finding help for this mobo a few months ago :)

Back