Abit AT8 32X Stability Issues

vladthedecker

Limp Gawd
I just "upgraded" to an Abit AT8 32X from an Epox 9NPA+SLI. At the same time I switched motherboards I also threw in 2 Seagate 320gb SATA drives to replace some PATA drives that I have been running for a few years. Ever since I made the switch I have had terrible problems with stability. I have been getting very frequent blue screens and even at times corrupted Windows installs. I have tried installing Windows on both of the new drives and have encountered the same problems. I'm not entirely sure that it isn't the hard drives but I think it is unlikely that I would get 2 bad drives. I certainly have not ruled out the drives entirely though. So I'm thinking it may be this motherboard. Here is my setup let me know if you see any problems:

Abit AT8 32X
Opteron 165 stock settings at present
2x512mb Kingston Hyperx pc3200
4x SATA drives all running on the primary SATA controller (The Uli controller not the Silicon Images controller)
-2x Seagate 320gb
-1x Maxtor 250
-1x WD 320gb
Thermaltake 500w PSU
Connect3d x1900GT
2x Optical drives on IDE

The RAM, PSU, and processor were in my old system so I think they are not to blame.
The most frequent blue screen that I get is "Page fault in nonpaging area" or something to that effect if that is a helpful clue.

Please any suggestions would be great. I have never had such problems with a build.

better check your ram for compatability.run memtest and see if you get errors.
its the most likely cause of your corruption.

Abit's website doesn't list specific compatibility information for this board. In general they claim compatibility with Kingston Value Ram but not HyperX. I'll give memtest a try but I think that HyperX should work with this board.

Kingston seems to think that this motherboard should work with their RAM

Edit:
I ran memtest for about an hour (4 passes) without errors. I'm going to run it all day today and see if it is still error free.

wesleys_dad said:
better check your ram for compatability.run memtest and see if you get errors.
its the most likely cause of your corruption.

You're right. It errors but not until about the 5th pass. I'm going to try it in the other slots and see if that helps. If not I guess I'll have to get some new RAM.

I would try upping the Vdimm slightly too.
Also, are you on the latest BIOS?

I put my two sticks of RAM in the slots closest to the CPU and now everything seems to be fine. I ran memtest overnight and I had no errors in 40 passes. Hopefully my system will be stable now. Thanks for the help I don't think I would have looked at the RAM because it was working in my old system.

Back