Abit Fatal1ty AN8 + AMD 4000+ - Memory problems?

vlad_Swe

Weaksauce
A friend of mine purchased an Abit Fatal1ty AN8 motherboard to go with his AMD 4000+ (San Diego) processor. At the same time, he bought 4 x 512 MB DIMMs. However, after installing the computer, it seems that memory slot 4 was non-functional, as the computer wouldn't boot. Having slots 1-3 populated worked just fine.

Both of us thought it might be a defective motherboard, so he returned it to the store. Today, he got an e-mail saying that the motherboard is incompatible with the winchester-core processors (guessing they meant san diego, as he stated he was using a 4000+) and that they would gladly exchange his four 512 MB DIMMs for two 1 GB DIMMs and some money in between.

Now, my question is this. Does anyone know of any incompatibilities with the Fatal1ty AN8 and the 4000+ processor that could lead to a memory slot being non-functional?

EDIT:

The motherboard reports error 52 on the display when powered on with 4 DIMMs installed.

There are some amd motherboards that DO NOT like it when all the ram slots are populated, this board could be one of them.

Some boards require you to run the memory at DDR333 if all slots are populated with double-row memory. The way you can test this is to put in 2 or 3 (whatever will get you into the BIOS,) and change the memory speed to 333. Then turn it off and put the 4th stick in. If it posts, then this was the problem. 4 single-row modules usually works fine. I would get the 2 1GB sticks though. (Little easier to get going.)

Thanks guys. Will try to see if we can get the 4 DIMMs working. If not, just get the 4 512 MB DIMMs replaced with 2x1 GB; as suggested.

Checked Abit's site, and they say it is compatible with the board. Interesting enough, is with single channel memory, the chart in the manual shows to put it in DIMM1 or DIMM3. (64 bit) And with Dual channel, you have to keep the dual channel memory together in 1&2, or 3&4.

Back