Abit IX38 QuadGT Oct. 10?

Pepsiennis

[H]ard|Gawd
In case you're not acquainted with me, I live in China. Today I got a call from my procurer of hardware. For over a month I've been in his face every few days about the Abit IX38 QuadGT (DDR2). Well, today he calls to tell me that the board will be available from October 10th. Great if it's true. I just thought I'd mention it because it's a firm date he gave me, which he heard through the retail grapevine here.

In case you're not acquainted with me, I live in China. Today I got a call from my procurer of hardware. For over a month I've been in his face every few days about the Abit IX38 QuadGT (DDR2). Well, today he calls to tell me that the board will be available from October 10th. Great if it's true. I just thought I'd mention it because it's a firm date he gave me, which he heard through the retail grapevine here.

Disappointed to be this late but at least we know when to expect... I will just have to hold tight till then with a hope to see some preview before this to take a decision.

Do you have a idea about a approximative sale price (something relative to existing boards like IP35 Pro) ?

Great news. Is this Oct-10 date apply to China or other countries (in my case, Canada) as well?

Since there is no reviews available yet for this MB, do you have any info on this new X38 MB?

Great news. Is this Oct-10 date apply to China or other countries (in my case, Canada) as well?

Since there is no reviews available yet for this MB, do you have any info on this new X38 MB?

Good question, coming from a fellow Canadian as well :D

Disappointed to be this late but at least we know when to expect... I will just have to hold tight till then with a hope to see some preview before this to take a decision.

Do you have a idea about a approximative sale price (something relative to existing boards like IP35 Pro) ?

I haven't been told the price yet, but will post it in US$'s when I'm told. Typically, motherboards here tend to sell for approximately the same price as they do in the US and other regions (within a few percentage points).

Unlike the pricing here, which as stated above is almost always the same, here in China availability of new products often lags behind the larger markets by a matter of weeks, though even longer at times. But I got my IP35 Pro about a week before it was available in the US, so it does vary. I'd have to guess that by the time mine is available... yours should be, as well. ;) Whatever I learn of any interest I will post if it isn't already on the net.

Disappointed to be this late but at least we know when to expect...
according to Gary Key at Anandtech Intel have put the X38 launch back until October 11th to allow the mobo manufacturers to stock the channel.
This may well have something to do with Intel's decision to go for a respin of the chipset as late as the start of September & therefore late delivery of production chipsets?.

according to Gary Key at Anandtech Intel have put the X38 launch back until October 11th to allow the mobo manufacturers to stock the channel.
This may well have something to do with Intel's decision to go for a respin of the chipset as late as the start of September & therefore late delivery of production chipsets?.

Yeah, that's what I heard so it's not a biggie as long as we get non-defective boards :cool:

I guess even the Gigabyte board, who are supposed to be released 1-2 days ago, are pushed as well.

That would agree with what I've been told, within a day at least.:D

If all X38-card is delayed until 11th october how come that i have confrimation date for 28 september for deliverystatus on a Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6?
All nordic stores under www.komplett.com has confirmed 28 september for the Gigabyte X38-card.

the official launch is delayed until the 10th/11th - that dosn't mean that there won't be boards on sale before that as happened with P35.
This may be especially true if Intel had already delivered some rev. 1 chipsets to some mobo manufacturers (most likely the big boys - asus, Gigabyte & MSI) before going for rev.2.

the official launch is delayed until the 10th/11th - that dosn't mean that there won't be boards on sale before that as happened with P35.
This may be especially true if Intel had already delivered some rev. 1 chipsets to some mobo manufacturers (most likely the big boys - asus, Gigabyte & MSI) before going for rev.2.
Or they just force/let/advice the manufacturer stock up the cards but Gigabyte choose not to stock up DQ6 rather than selling more boards earlier, only time will tell if a rev 1.1/rev2 is needed. Some early result tell it not needed to pair up with the P35 board performace, at least not to give Quad what the deserve.

What advantages would the Abit IX38 QuadGT have over the Abit IP35Pro?

If you know your going to be running a quad processor, would this board probably give better performance? :)

So,is this Abit the only X38 based mobo that supports DDR2 ?

I read on the forums of another hardware site where one of the users emailed Gigabyte customer services, and they responded that they will have both DDR2 and DDR3 x38 boards, with the former actually coming out first. (this was prior to the delay, however)

So,is this Abit the only X38 based mobo that supports DDR2 ?

Hey Manny!
I believe DFI also has an upcoming X38 - DDR2 board planned; but as always with DFI, don't hold your breath because (as we all know) they usually release in the second half of the product cycle.

On a different tack, I asked the same guy today about the IX38 MAX, and he said he hadn't heard anything (DDR3 is an even scarcer commodity here than in the States, but just as expensive therefore quite beyond the average Chinese enthusiast's budget) but he said that he would ask around. We'll see.

ASUS has a couple of X38 boards with DDR2 support where the X38 Maximus Formula SE replace the P35 Blitz Formula SE and Maximus Extreme DDR3 replace the Blitz Extreme DDR3 just as Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 replace GA-P35-DQ6 and only DQ6 board left in P35 line will be the GA-P35T-DQ6 and DDR3 support that according to Gigabyte them self . Gigabyte GA-X38-DS5 is another upcoming DDR2 board and GA-X38T-DQ6 is the DDR3 flavor off the X38-DQ6.
Belive MSI and Foxconn has something up there sleve to.

so this is abits for dd2 capable board?!........(i think its too early for me aswell) and its own version of an ip35 setup? just wondering

abit IX38 QuadGT = DDR2
abit IX38-MAX = DDR3

That's not the only difference though.

ABIT IX 38 MAX has active cooling of chipset, twin fan actually if option fan is used.
ix38-2.jpg

news_abitx38tpe_06.jpg

IX38 GT Quad has heatpipe.
news_abitx38tpe_08.jpg

IX38 GT Quad has heatpipe.
news_abitx38tpe_08.jpg

Speaking of heatpipes, does anyone know what that element in front of the first memory dimm slot is covering and cooling? I've seen a few of the early X38 board shots from several manufacturers placing a heatpipe element there (though the MAX board doesn't seem to need anything in that location). Perhaps something to do with using DDR2 instead of the 'native' DDR3?

Speaking of heatpipes, does anyone know what that element in front of the first memory dimm slot is covering and cooling? I've seen a few of the early X38 board shots from several manufacturers placing a heatpipe element there (though the MAX board doesn't seem to need anything in that location).
I think that it's just some more real estate that they can stick additional cooling area onto for the nb - the MAX nb is actively cooled.

I think that it's just some more real estate that they can stick additional cooling area onto for the nb - the MAX nb is actively cooled.

Thanks BUFF! That makes sense. PCB color aside, the component placement on the IX38 MAX and the IX38 QuadGT appear to be identical, and on the MAX that area appears to be free of components. Hey, whatever gets the job done! ;)

Interesting comment from Gary Key on Anandtech
" In fact, except for the abit board (beta BIOS though), most of the DDR2 boards are just not showing any real benefits at this time compared to the tuned P35 DDR2 boards from DFI, abit, or ASUS." So it looks like abit may have another winner :D

he does go on to say
"The real differences at this time is in DDR3 performance and when using Penryn. The other trend we have noticed in testing with our retail (as in purchased randomly from several etailers) cpus is that a lot of the E6X50 series CPUS are capping around 500FSB now."

So how do these boards compare performance wise to IP35 boards? Is X38 really that much better?

Back