Abit Mobo's

I notice as of now, there are no Abit boards on Newegg. I heard rumors they might be done as a manufacturer. Is this true?

Yep, They're done.

It's no rumor.

They say they are going to honor the warranties for past purchases, but I haven't read any current success stories.

If my IP35-Pro develops a problem, it'll be sent to the trash can.

They haven't been impressing anyone lately with their motherboard lines. I'm not surprised to see them go.

That's really too bad. I really liked how some of their boards came with out all the legacy crap and was minimalist. As you can see from my signature, I really liked that brand.

I want to know what brand to go to next, from everyone's opinion. I am expecting to hear Asus, but the damn boards come with so much crap in them. (e.g. legacy, wifi)

Damn, that's kinda sad. The NF7-S is legendary from back in the Socket A days, and the IC7 and MAX series boards were pretty awesome too. In fact, I've still got my NF7 running a fileserver with my trusty XP 2400+. But I guess they haven't had anything decent to speak of in quite a while. I had a feeling when they started pimping that Fatal1ty crap that it was the beginning of the end.

Abit was the first mobo I chose when I built my first P4 rig, it's been rock solid. I gave it to my sister and its on 24/7 in her dorm room. My current IP35-E has been pretty good to me as well. I guess I'll look to DFI or Gigabyte for my next upgrade. Goodbye Abit.

They haven't been impressing anyone lately with their motherboard lines. I'm not surprised to see them go.
They may not have impressed you but a lot of people liked them.
The IP35 series was highly regarded (IP35 Pro considered by many to be the best allround P35 mobo) as were their mATX offerings.
The AX78 is probably the best 770 chipset mobo & the A-S78H is as good a 780G as you will find.

They just couldn't make a decent return on investment on the volume that they were doing - they weren't the first to pull out & they won't be the last.

That's really too bad. I really liked how some of their boards came with out all the legacy crap and was minimalist. As you can see from my signature, I really liked that brand.

I want to know what brand to go to next, from everyone's opinion. I am expecting to hear Asus, but the damn boards come with so much crap in them. (e.g. legacy, wifi)

I heard a lot of Abit engineers went to Biostar; you might give them a look.

I too used to use Abit quite a bit back in the day. Sold several NF7-xx based boards.

I've loved Abit since the Slot 1/Socket 370 days (jumper OC'ing FTW), and I thought they were still doing biz over in Europe, but I found it strange that it was almost 100% certain that if I used an Antec PSU, my system wouldn't boot.

Vaya con Dios, Abit. It was fun.

I just checked, there are abit P35 boards listed on the Egg. Haven't checked for anything else.

The Abit IP35 Pro was an excellent board until the 45nm chips came out. Were the compatibility problems ever resolved, and how about the chicken and the egg issue of putting together a IP35 with a Wolfdare or Yorkfield, but needing a BIOS update before you could even turn it on?

The Abit IP35 Pro was an excellent board until the 45nm chips came out. Were the compatibility problems ever resolved, and how about the chicken and the egg issue of putting together a IP35 with a Wolfdare or Yorkfield, but needing a BIOS update before you could even turn it on?
yes.
Any IP35 Pro with BIOS14 or later (i.e. produced from about 13 months ago) should have turned on OK with a Wolfdale/Yorkie albeit reported temps may have been screwy.
Not certain if they have a BIOS update for EOs yet though.

Of course the Wolfdale/Yorkdale compatability problem didn't affect just abits but all mobos with BIOS that didn't support that process change - it's a normal state of affairs when there are major CPU changes.

Back