Abit Uguru overclocking help.

aarong50

n00b
Im currently putting together a system and I am getting ready to order an AMD X2 3800 or an Opty 165 to go with my abit an8 32x mobo. I have never attempted an overclock but have built several system over the years and feel very capable. I have the uguru software that came with the mobo can I or should I use that for say a beginner? My goal is to get it up to about 2.4 ghz I am using g-skill ram ddr 400 and have a zalman 7000 aftermarket cooler so I dont think temperature will be a problem. Will I be able to achieve 2.4ghz just by raising the fsb through uguru or what else should I be doing or considering?

Here is a link to the ram
Gskill

aarong50 said:
Im currently putting together a system and I am getting ready to order an AMD X2 3800 or an Opty 165 to go with my abit an8 32x mobo. I have never attempted an overclock but have built several system over the years and feel very capable. I have the uguru software that came with the mobo can I or should I use that for say a beginner? My goal is to get it up to about 2.4 ghz I am using g-skill ram ddr 400 and have a zalman 7000 aftermarket cooler so I dont think temperature will be a problem. Will I be able to achieve 2.4ghz just by raising the fsb through uguru or what else should I be doing or considering?

Here is a link to the ram
Gskill

Set the BIOS to a 333DDR ram speed, cpu FSB to 240, keep the HTT speed (fsb x HTT multiplier) at 1000 or less, try stock vcore first. If it is not stable at that then raise the ram to 2.7v and bump the core one step. At those settings your ram will run STOCK timings and speed, don't worry, on the A64's having the ram and cpu speed synchronous matters very little, the overall cpu speed is more important.

No need really for UGuru.

Thanks for the advice. I guess the reason I mentioned Uguru was the fact that it appears to be like a beginner OCer's dream for helping someone get started. Also the actual raising of FSB to 240 will be what gets me to 2.4 ghz correct?

aarong50 said:
Thanks for the advice. I guess the reason I mentioned Uguru was the fact that it appears to be like a beginner OCer's dream for helping someone get started. Also the actual raising of FSB to 240 will be what gets me to 2.4 ghz correct?

Yes, the X2 3800+ is stock setting of 10x multiplier x 200fsb (200 x 10), so raising "fsb" to 240 is (240 x 10) = 2400mhz.

Back