Abnormal HTPC case

Hades16x

2[H]4U
Didnt know which forum to put this under so mod please move if you deem it necessary.

I will be building a 1080p rig here very shortly off of a 5000+ Black Edition.

Upon browseinng for a case, I quickly realized that I do not have the room in my entertainment stand( I built it, oops) to fit a lay down mimic receiver case. Thus my only option is a mid sized tower case. I am debating between two cases, The first would be my beloved Antec P180. The reason I would choose this case is because I love the construction and the noise damping technology in it. My problem with this case is I cannot find a black one with free shipping, thus making the case an expensive alternative.

The Idea is to be cheap.

The other case is LIAN LI PC-7B plus II. I like this case because I am also a fan of Lian Li's construction. The other perk is it is 89.99 with free shipping.

Which case would you choose? My goal is to have the quietest system possible. Keep in mind the fans will be changed, and mounted in vibration dampers.

Michael

To be honest, the case itself has a very small impact on the noise level, relatively speaking. For quieting down a machine, the first order of business is to eliminate the source of the noise. Get a big CPU cooler with a big, slow fan, replace the cooler on the GPU with something quieter if need be, use 120mm fans instead of 80mm, etc. I think you'll find that once you've done that, you can pretty much pick whatever case you want, even a really inexpensive one.

Thank you. I was planning on using a large HSF with a 120MM yate loon. The PSU is a 380w earthwatts which is pretty quiet. The GPU is a 8600GT passive. The mobo has no fans on it.

So I should be set.

May even order today!

like mohonri said the case matters little. here a few of use talked about it in detail. you are right in using a large HSF combo.

i like this guy... i am using it as a spare in the kitchen. it is uATX though.

Well I ordered everything:

Im going to strip my gaming PC out of the black P180, and I ordered the Powerspec (Lian Li) case thats 130 at microcenter for my gaming computer.

w00t

Back