About time for a new phone but I ca't decide...help!

McClintoc

Fully [H]
My current contract with AT&T is up in August but I can upgrade as soon as next month. I am ready to make the jump to do-all smart phones. I am currently using an old Moto Razr. I can't decide what I want to do though.

My biggest concern is that the phone I get combines all the various hand-held electronics: cell phone, PDA, MP3 player, digi cam, GPS. So far, all the phones I have looked at (iPhone, Blackberry, Droid) have these things but my favorite right now is Verizon's Droid. But, here's the breakdown:

If I go for the Droid
Pros = the phone I really want that will do all I want it to.
Cons = changing carrier and paying all the setup fees and having to wait until August.

If I go for the iPhone
Pros = cheaper since I don't have to switch carriers and I keep my current number and probably switch as an upgrade next month.
Cons = sorry, I'm an Apple hater. I don't have nor do I want anything Apple.

So, what do I do? Where do I compromise? AT&T Blackberry maybe?

pick whatever you like best :) go to the store and try 'em all out.

with that said, I too used to be an apple hater :D... but the iphone turned me around. Go in with an open mind and you'll probably like it. They're nice devices

plus, once jailbroken (if you decide to go that route), they are, by far, one of the most useful devices I've ever owned.

The Driods are nice too, a few friends own them and I was actually considering one, but at this point I just couldn't give up all my iphone does for one (set in my ways, as they say)

if your att contract has $10/month unlim. data get an unlocked smart phone of your choice. You'll save = the phone over 2 yrs vs the $30/month data w/ an iphone. (20 * 24 = 480)

e.g. N97 (or mini) flavor, the nexus one (if it comes out for ATT's 3G) etc etc...

if you don't have unlim data then you can get a subsidized smartphone (i.e. through ATT, verizon, or whoever) 'cause you'll have to pay $30/month for unlimited data no matter what. ew. The upside is that you could change carriers if you are unhappy with att. I myself am VERY happy with att & unlocked phones b/c I'm not going to pay $5/month to use features of my OWN PHONE (thx verizon). Check the fine print b/c last time I did it was $5 month EACH for voice dialing and tethering. 120/year to use built-in features of a phone is outrageous. They also charged for the maps/gps. I don't know if they still do so check it out for yourself.

The FM radio/mp3 player and tethering are two features of "smarter phones" that I use the most. By FAR. A decent camera is nice, too.

I've had an unlocked Nokia 5800 for quite a while and have been pretty happy (my main complaint is that the camera is only OK and pretty bad in low light). I'm selling it and upgrading to an unlocked N97 mini for more "oomph". There have been sales on both lately, mostly through dell.

GL and happy shopping!

Last edited:
pick whatever you like best :) go to the store and try 'em all out.

with that said, I too used to be an apple hater :D... but the iphone turned me around. Go in with an open mind and you'll probably like it. They're nice devices

plus, once jailbroken (if you decide to go that route), they are, by far, one of the most useful devices I've ever owned.

The Driods are nice too, a few friends own them and I was actually considering one, but at this point I just couldn't give up all my iphone does for one (set in my ways, as they say)

Yeah, I can compare numbers all day long on the Internet but I'll really have to go to the stores and put my hands on them. That will be the true comparison.

I'm liking the Droid the most since it has a 5MP camera. It's pretty much the only difference I can find between different phones. They all combine hand-held electronics like I am looking for but everything else has 3.2MP cameras.

Yeah, I can compare numbers all day long on the Internet but I'll really have to go to the stores and put my hands on them. That will be the true comparison.

I'm liking the Droid the most since it has a 5MP camera. It's pretty much the only difference I can find between different phones. They all combine hand-held electronics like I am looking for but everything else has 3.2MP cameras.

Megapixles are very decieving on mobile phones, and in general, Make sure to compare pictures extensivly

Buy a Motorola Milestone from Canada, unlock it, and get exactly the phone you want.

ATT has some decent options aside from the iPhone - look into the HTC devices they carry, maybe? Nokia too...

How does that work?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._re=Motorola_milestone-_-75-209-212-_-Product

It's the GSM version of the Droid. I would assume you could just pop your SIM in and be good to go. But I'm not sure if this phone is compatible with AT&Ts 3G spectrum (as the Nexus One isn't at the moment).

I know that link is saying it's unavailable, but I just saw it available a few days ago. Hopefully they put it back up for sale. If not, I'm sure you can find it somewhere else too.

You can't buy the Milestone from Newegg, you have to get it from Canada. Telus, I believe. The one on Newegg won't be compatible with AT&T's 3G.

My current contract with AT&T is up in August but I can upgrade as soon as next month. I am ready to make the jump to do-all smart phones. I am currently using an old Moto Razr. I can't decide what I want to do though.

My biggest concern is that the phone I get combines all the various hand-held electronics: cell phone, PDA, MP3 player, digi cam, GPS. So far, all the phones I have looked at (iPhone, Blackberry, Droid) have these things but my favorite right now is Verizon's Droid. But, here's the breakdown:

If I go for the Droid
Pros = the phone I really want that will do all I want it to.
Cons = changing carrier and paying all the setup fees and having to wait until August.

If I go for the iPhone
Pros = cheaper since I don't have to switch carriers and I keep my current number and probably switch as an upgrade next month.
Cons = sorry, I'm an Apple hater. I don't have nor do I want anything Apple.

So, what do I do? Where do I compromise? AT&T Blackberry maybe?

You should be able to keep your same number no matter what phone or carrier you choose. I'm on my 3rd carrier with the same number.

sprint is the best deal in town with there employee referral offers

you can get a palm pre or HTC hero

sprint has alot of good smart phones. It doesn't really matter what network your on because all the carriers offer free roaming anyway

I went with T-Mo's MyTouch 3G Fender, and I'm loving it!

Basically, I made a list of everything I wanted my phone to do and shopped. The iPhone 3GS, the Droid, and the Fender did all I wanted/needed. After comparing prices (up-front, and monthly), I went with the Fender.

Main advantage over the iPhone? I can swap batteries and upgrade the memory.

Main advantage over the Droid? COST!! Verizon's unlimited data/phone plans tried to rape me in the corner. :eek:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._re=Motorola_milestone-_-75-209-212-_-Product

It's the GSM version of the Droid. I would assume you could just pop your SIM in and be good to go. But I'm not sure if this phone is compatible with AT&Ts 3G spectrum (as the Nexus One isn't at the moment).

I know that link is saying it's unavailable, but I just saw it available a few days ago. Hopefully they put it back up for sale. If not, I'm sure you can find it somewhere else too.

Will *NOT* be 3g on ATT/Tmo

I got the Tilt2 a few weeks ago from AT&T and am simply loving it. I really like the TouchFlo 3D interface although it does slow it down a bit. The camera takes great pictures but no flash. Other than taht I love it.

Ludic, the phone went through the FCC about a month ago, it's coming to Sprint and AT&T shortly.

Ludic, the phone went through the FCC about a month ago, it's coming to Sprint and AT&T shortly.

I'd say summer at the earliest. It's already been confirmed for Verizon and they aren't even getting it until March or so.

But I guess I'd have to second just using Edge on AT&T for now with a Nexus One. I've never had AT&T, but from the vids I've see of phones on Edge, it doesn't seem unbearably slow to use.

AT&T blows, 3G or Edge. Honestly now, why would you pay twice as much to get stuck with a crappy 200kb/s connection, when you could go with a company that has 3G in your area and is LESS money?

thats a good point....

As long as you stay on the android bandwagon this thread will be win.

I wouldn't pay to switch carriers, especially since you're so close to the end. I'm not sure they had graduated breaking contract terms back then like they do now.

I'd wait until you're contract is up and see what they have available then. You can make the best decision without worrying about a new carrier.

Back