About to install Win7 on an X-25m

JCDenton

Gawd
Switching my OS from Vista. This will be my first experience with both SSDs and Win7. Is there any common mistake I should avoid here?

I've never used a SSD... but I assume to make sure to disable auto defrag for the SSD drive.

Let us know the real world performance difference. I am thinking about picking one up for the Intel Retail Edge thing. But on the fence about it.

Win7 pretty much figures out for you, nothing special to do, assuming you are doing a clean install. Use AHCI or IDE in your BIOS to make sure TRIM works.

Win7 pretty much figures out for you, nothing special to do, assuming you are doing a clean install. Use AHCI or IDE in your BIOS to make sure TRIM works.

I just read something about the new intel firmware bricking drives. Am I still going to have TRIM with the firmware that came on my SSD? It's a brand new second gen X-25m from newegg's black friday sale. I never really bothered to learn much about SSDs and now I'm trying to take it in all at once.

The october firmware bricked drives (including mine), the just-release firmware works great. I've seen no reports of bricking. I am not sure which firmware comes with a recently purchased SSD. Just download the new firmware and attempt to flash it; it will update if needed.

well this went...horribly.

for some reason win7 wouldn't install properly off a usb drive. i had it boot and go all the way through the install, finish, and then restart. but then instead of going into windows the install process starts from the very beginning again.

now i've gone and lost my original OS install. all my important files were backed up to a different drive of course, but i have no OS to burn a DVD with. i wanted to install off a dvd to begin with but for some reason the only blank DVDs I had were giving a weird error so i just said "screw it" and tried the usb drive.

as luck would have it my laptop only has a CD burner, so now i'm hunting the internet for some sort of OS that will fit on a CD so I can use the DVD burner on my main computer. i really can't believe how badly this has gone. what i don't understand is why it got stuck in that infinite install loop.

are you sure its detecting the SSD? do you remove the USB drive after it reboots?

make sure to set AHCI + IDE in your bios

yeah, it's detecting the SSD. on the second go-round in the loop, the SSD has like 7 gigs full. i can also see the SSD in the bios but when i try to boot off it won't work and says to insert a bootable device. i've tried a bunch of different stuff...removing the usb on the second loop, forcing it to be seen as a hard drive, forcing it to be seen as dvd, trying different usb ports, etc.

i even tried to remake it on my laptop but now it won't boot at all. i think maybe there's something wrong with the drive labeling since i'm creating it on a different pc than i plan to use it on. don't have a clue how to fix that though.

well this went...horribly.

for some reason win7 wouldn't install properly off a usb drive. i had it boot and go all the way through the install, finish, and then restart. but then instead of going into windows the install process starts from the very beginning again.

Yes, I know this happened to me too, so after restart you had to unplug the flash drive and then it completes the installation.

Yes, I know this happened to me too, so after restart you had to unplug the flash drive and then it completes the installation.

That didn't work for me. I finally got it though after being up all night. Had to look around and get TinyXP since I was limited to a CD burner, install that OS, find a burning program that would work with it, and then get a proper DVD burned from the iso on my data drive. Worked the first time off the DVD...I guess now I know better than to trust a $12.99 8Gb flash drive from staples. Windows is shockingly fast.

Back